Gun Control

14 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Thank God he's term-limited; I'd be willing to vote for almost anyone else at this point. 

If he runs for Congress, so help us God. 

My bet is Fischer and Pete trade jobs.

Meanwhile looks like about 5 people shot at a FedEx warehouse in Indy tonight just to prep everyone for the next cycle of outrage.

2 hours ago, Omaha-Husker said:

Meanwhile looks like about 5 people shot at a FedEx warehouse in Indy tonight just to prep everyone for the next cycle of outrage.

Fischer already said she was staying in the Senate.  I think she announced it on April 1 but I don't recall the exact date.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Omaha-Husker said:

Sadly, I think you're right. 

If Fischer runs for Governor, we all might as well jump off a cliff. 

6 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1383784593518579715?s=19

Not sure why this one isn't embedding. Others worked...

The FedEx shooter had some guns taken away in the past.

This isn't directed at you Devo, but reading stuff like this is akin to me reading that someone took a toy away from a child in a toy store and then the child managed to get another toy

It's like... you don't say? This man had guns taken away before, but still had some or managed to get more? I'm shocked...

The sheer volume and general latitudes associated with gun ownership in this country make it 100% unsurprising that people who shouldn't have guns have guns.

• Plus1 3
On 4/14/2021 at 6:46 PM, ScarletRevival said:

Lastly, AR style rifles are used in a very small number of homicides.  

"You are five times more likely to be killed by a knife than by a rifle. Hands, fists and feet caused twice as many deaths as rifles.

According to the FBI’s crime statistics for 2018, there were 14,123 murders committed with a weapon of some kind. Of the total, rifles claimed 297 victims, compared to 1,515 for knives and other cutting instruments, and 672 for “personal weapons” defined as hands, fists, feet and even pushing. Even blunt objects such as hammers and clubs caused more deaths than rifles."

http://ninelinenews.com/articles-2/2nd-amendment/gun-activists-in-meltdown-over-new-fbi-stats-on-ar-15-deaths/

I'm not sure about the structure in which you reside or if you own a vehicle, but you don't need those either. You can live in a 10 by 10 tent and walk wherever you'd like to go.

Not that responding to this matters, but it's remarkably convenient to only focus on "rifles" when talking about homicides, as if it somehow minimizes the damage done by firearms each year.

If you look up homicides by murder weapon in this country, every verifiable source will prove that firearms kill more people each year than any kind of cutting instrument. In 2019, there were 6,000+ handgun related murders alone... compared to about 1,500 murders committed by 'knives or cutting instruments.'

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

What would good restrictions be?

Certain age, maybe raise that?

No criminal record at all?

Longer waiting period?  6 months?  12 months?

All worthy of discussion. My point was that before we delve into the banning and taking certain weapons, we need to tighten up who can obtain weapons, and follow through with restrictions that are already on the books. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

All worthy of discussion. My point was that before we delve into the banning and taking certain weapons, we need to tighten up who can obtain weapons, and follow through with restrictions that are already on the books. 

Yeah, I agree.  I am not really sure what the restrictions are at the moment.  So I was just tossing out ideas.

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

I don't disagree with you.  If we have laws on the books that aren't being enforce, no need to make new laws that aren't going to be enforced.

However, my question is, what laws are on the books that aren't being enforced that you think would make a difference?

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't disagree with you.  If we have laws on the books that aren't being enforce, no need to make new laws that aren't going to be enforced.

However, my question is, what laws are on the books that aren't being enforced that you think would make a difference?

Actual, Federally based, universal background checks to start. More stringent mental health assessments. If you have every been institutionalized for a mental breakdown...no guns. Stop allowing set asides/pardons for those convicted of domestic abuse.

I am cautious regarding private sales, which some refer to as the "gun show loophole." I personally think that an actual Federal Purchase License might work. Apply every 3 or 5 years, get an in depth background check, update addresses, then pay a nominal fee to receive a license to purchase weapons. Then, even with private sales, that registration/ID number could be recorded for better tracking of the firearms themselves. If you don't have the license and ID, you don't buy a firearm.

Staunch 2A advocates will never go for this as a stand alone. However, if the option is an outright ban or get the license...they may choose the license. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1