Gun Control

4 hours ago, Enhance said:

That's 100% what the gun control debate feels like to me. Probably an unpopular opinion to some, but I think a big part of the problem is the unwillingness among gun advocates to concede more ground than they're currently willing to give up, and I think they're the ones that need to. If I could snap my fingers and remove all civilian owned firearms from homes and streets in America (save for hunting rifles/shotgun), and significantly increase the requirements for getting any kind of firearm, I would. But, I know some of that is unrealistic, so there needs to be some more concession.

And I think this thread is kind of a microcosm of the gun debate in general. I have posted on more than one occasion some tangible, real world solutions based off of other countries' approaches. It didn't get a lot of attention. I'm not saying that to get sympathy. Maybe my post sucked. But, if you look at most of the conversation after my post, very little of it is centered actual policy analysis and sensible solutions. It's a lot of commentary about things on social media, knife attacks, etc. Feels like a lot of people are too focused on the shiny objects in the debate rather than actually fixing the problem.

You post didn't suck.  I went back and read it again since I was part of that previous conversation.  I wish it had generated more replies.  But it seems that often with topics like gun control, we easily go off on a tangent of arguing minor points back and forth rather than sticking to the bigger picture.  Then people, like me, get fatigued with the whole argument on the internet thing and just move on without considering less flashy, but more sensical points of view.  

But, I could get on board with your suggestions.  Nobody "needs" a handgun or assault riffle right now.  Ownership of these could and should be properly vetted over a few weeks to make sure the weapons are not going to the wrong person.  Gun violence just isn't taken seriously enough by about half the country, unfortunately.  I absolutely don't get it and never have.  And I own 7 guns, which is about 5 or 6 more that I really "need".   Even 30 years ago, before I even "sniffed" anything in politics, I loved hunting, but was turned off by the NRA because I thought their 'oppose everything' approach to common sense gun control was idiotic.  

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

As a gun owner, this line of thinking is so idiotic to me.

We agree that Cawthorn is a dipsh*t. However, the quoted tweet is being (purposefully?) misleading. That or @stja_amy needs to do a bit more research. 

The staunch 2A folks that I know don't believe it was added to the Constitution so citizens can own guns to overthrow the Government...it was added so citizens can own guns to protect themselves from the Government. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
33 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

We agree that Cawthorn is a dipsh*t. However, the quoted tweet is being (purposefully?) misleading. That or @stja_amy needs to do a bit more research. 

The staunch 2A folks that I know don't believe it was added to the Constitution so citizens can own guns to overthrow the Government...it was added so citizens can own guns to protect themselves from the Government. 

That's splitting pretty thin hairs.  I personally know many 2A folks that firmly believe it's for when it's time to overthrow the government.  And....he said "stop the government".  Which pretty much means protect yourself from what the government is doing.

59 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's splitting pretty thin hairs.  I personally know many 2A folks that firmly believe it's for when it's time to overthrow the government.  And....he said "stop the government".  Which pretty much means protect yourself from what the government is doing.

I read it to mean protect from a Govt that is trying to get you...defensive. Not attacking the Govt...offensive. 

Depends on your experience and perspective I guess. 

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I wonder how many of those people still ended up with guns.   

That would be an interesting number and give the proper people some insights on what else can be done to keep guns from the the bad guys.

I am more interested in how many of those who attempted to purchase firearms but were not supposed to are being prosecuted. 

• Plus1 2
55 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I wonder how many of those people still ended up with guns.   

That would be an interesting number and give the proper people some insights on what else can be done to keep guns from the the bad guys.

How to get that data is the problem...but it would be useful to determine what additional measures could be pursued. 

4 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I am more interested in how many of those who attempted to purchase firearms but were not supposed to are being prosecuted. 

I would guess a small percentage. 

• Plus1 1