Gun Control

12 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

No offense, but none of this makes any sense. Background checks do matter, but they’re just a part of what needs to be done.  There’s many other things that need to be done, but currently are not.  I don’t know your friends, but  R’s clearly outnumber D’s on gun control resistance and it’s not even close.  Guns aren’t going away.  It’s unfortunate, but just not realistic.  

Just a thought, but one of the reasons for Roe going into effect was because of Patient privacy wasn't it? So if its repealed, wouldn't states/federal government be able to pass gun control laws (background checks) based on the privacy part of the law that is being removed from Roe?

I usually don't post much in gun control topics, because I don't know much about guns.  But, a few months ago, I questioned the need for people to own AR-15's as it seems to me to be a military-grade weapon. My question was followed with "the AR-15 is not more powerful than most rifles". Since, I don't have the most knowledge, I didn't bother arguing that point anymore.

Media reports are saying that the kids killed yesterday are being identified by cotton swabs collecting DNA evidence, because their bodies were so far destroyed. The shooter had two AR-15's, purchased legally within the past week. So, I guess the gun itself may not be more "powerful" than other rifles, but the ability to shoot to many rounds quickly, and with the ability to re-load the rifle with more rounds make it much deadlier than the average single or two-shot rifle.

Why are these assault rifles legal? If it's for self-defense, are you expecting multiple gun-men to be attacking your home where you need to mow them down with a round of gun-fire? If it's for hunting, are you going to shoot Bambi 15-times to make sure that thing is killed, so you can patch that deer up and mount it above your fireplace, so you look total bad-a$$?

Someone please give me a reasonable response to why a military grade rifle capable of firing off hundreds of rounds of bullets is "needed" for the average person? 

• Plus1 6

10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I usually don't post much in gun control topics, because I don't know much about guns.  But, a few months ago, I questioned the need for people to own AR-15's as it seems to me to be a military-grade weapon. My question was followed with "the AR-15 is not more powerful than most rifles". Since, I don't have the most knowledge, I didn't bother arguing that point anymore.

Media reports are saying that the kids killed yesterday are being identified by cotton swabs collecting DNA evidence, because their bodies were so far destroyed. The shooter had two AR-15's, purchased legally within the past week. So, I guess the gun itself may not be more "powerful" than other rifles, but the ability to shoot to many rounds quickly, and with the ability to re-load the rifle with more rounds make it much deadlier than the average single or two-shot rifle.

Why are these assault rifles legal? If it's for self-defense, are you expecting multiple gun-men to be attacking your home where you need to mow them down with a round of gun-fire? If it's for hunting, are you going to shoot Bambi 15-times to make sure that thing is killed, so you can patch that deer up and mount it above your fireplace, so you look total bad-a$$?

Someone please give me a reasonable response to why a military grade rifle capable of firing off hundreds of rounds of bullets is "needed" for the average person? 

That has always been my point too.

The answer is simple...Muskets.  That is all you need.

• Plus1 2

I am wondering if this type of event will be way more common in the coming years. I think people, especially the youth, are struggling to cope with just about everything. Once again I can’t imagine what made this kid want to do this or why he targeted little kids he probably didn’t even know. He was pretty far gone. He’s probably one of many many more on the verge of doing something like this. Eliminating his access to ARs would certainly limit the damage he can do, but what do we do about folks like him in general? Where is our value of someone’s life?

• Plus1 1

The pro-gun people will always say "this won't stop the criminals from getting guns" or "this won't stop all shootings", but why does it have to be an all or none philosophy.  Why do we allow guns which can hold magazines of bullets to the general public?  Why do we allow hundreds of rounds of ammunition to be sold at one time?  Why do we allow a person to step into a store and purchase an AR-15 and get it on the same day, without any type of background check?

Why are people so "unreasonable" on these issues?  Do they have such a hard-on for their guns that they aren't willing to have any common sense?

• Plus1 4