Gun Control

55 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

The reason citizens need guns has almost nothing to do with hunting...

This quote might shock some people.

"[The 2nd Amendment] has been the subject of one of the greatest pieces of fraud, I repeat the word fraud, on the American public by special interest groups that I have ever seen in my lifetime." - Supreme Court Chief Justice Warren Berger, a conservative, in 1991.

The legal consensus surrounding the 2A for the majority of our country's history was that the right to bear arms was not an individual right, but rather a right for those called into military service i.e. a militia. And that's what the actual language of the 2A talks about - a militia. The U.S. SC did not rule that the 2A guaranteed an individual the right to own a gun until 2008 by a slim 5-4 vote. Up until that point, every other time the court had ruled previously, they had ruled that you did not have that right. And to this day, the court has still concluded that gun ownership is not an absolute right and is subject to limitations.

What we're seeing and have been seeing for decades now is a lobbying effort by groups like the NRA, as well as anti-democratic push by certain politicians and presidents (who don't represent the popular vote of this country), pushing policies on people who don't actually want them.

I'm all for hunting. I'm all for responsible gun ownership. But I'm also all for more strict gun control and much stronger barriers to entry/ownership. Most of this country is. And it's pretty clear that most of the apprehension towards more strict gun control is largely a result of successful manipulation by gun rights lobbyists with deep pockets and a financial agenda.

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
11 minutes ago, Enhance said:

"[The 2nd Amendment] has been the subject of one of the greatest pieces of fraud, I repeat the word fraud, on the American public by special interest groups that I have ever seen in my lifetime." - Supreme Court Chief Justice Warren Berger, a conservative, in 1991.

The legal consensus surrounding the 2A for the majority of our country's history was that the right to bear arms was not an individual right, but rather a right for those called into military service i.e. a militia. And that's what the actual language of the 2A talks about - a militia. The U.S. SC did not rule that the 2A guaranteed an individual the right to own a gun until 2008 by a slim 5-4 vote. Up until that point, every other time the court had ruled previously, they had ruled that you did not have that right. And to this day, the court has still concluded that gun ownership is not an absolute right and is subject to limitations.

What we're seeing and have been seeing for decades now is a lobbying effort by groups like the NRA, as well as anti-democratic push by certain politicians and presidents (who don't represent the popular vote of this country), pushing policies on people who don't actually want them.

I'm all for hunting. I'm all for responsible gun ownership. But I'm also all for more strict gun control and much stronger barriers to entry/ownership. Most of this country is. And it's pretty clear that most of the apprehension towards more strict gun control is largely a result of successful manipulation by gun rights lobbyists with deep pockets and a financial agenda.

Excellent response. If only we could get the money grubbing, self serving politicians on board with this thinking.

49 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Obviously.  I wasn't expecting you to.  You've fallen for the fear tactics from the gun lobby.

I wonder where the push to send $50+ billion to Ukraine came from :rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, commando said:

so the only thing people need guns for is killing people they don't agree with?   

That's what the government does with guns, yes...

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
52 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Post-Modern (lack of) logic hard at work I see. 

You could in fact look at the actual explanation by the people who wrote the 2nd amendment as to its purpose:

“A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined…” – George Washington, First Annual Address, to both House of Congress, January 8, 1790

“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” – Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787

“What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.” – Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

I guess Thomas Jefferson & George Washington were some crazy far-right conspiracy theorists huh...

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

11 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I guess Thomas Jefferson & George Washington were some crazy far-right conspiracy theorists huh...

They were slave owners, and one of them frequently raped at least one of his slaves. Probably should stop considering them infallible guides to 21st Century life, huh?

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

They were slave owners, and one of them frequently raped at least one of his slaves. Probably should stop considering them infallible guides to 21st Century life, huh?

I’ve never understood why people talk like they’re deities. 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Because we tell half-truths in history class. I didn't realize how awful Columbus was until I hit college. 

Of course, no one will learn about any of this stuff if the CRT hysteria is allowed to guide school curriculum. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Nobody said that, but they certainly laid the framework for an experiment in individual liberty based on a vast and deep understanding of history that has grown into one hell of a success. 

So if we were to take every idea that originated with people who did bad things according to today's moral framework and discard it because of the individual(s) personal short-falls, and simultaneously believe that people who achieved great things in the past couldn't possibly measure up to the intelligence that we possess today...

That's called narcissism. And it's 99.9999% guaranteed to result in chaos and destruction.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 minute ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Nobody said that, but they certainly laid the framework for an experiment in individual liberty based on a vast and deep understanding of history that has grown into one hell of a success. 

So if we were to take every idea that originated with people who did bad things according to today's moral framework and discard it because of the individual(s) personal short-falls, and simultaneously believe that people who achieved great things in the past couldn't possibly measure up to the intelligence that we possess today...

How about... we appreciate the framework they laid out, but don't dogmatically adhere to it 200 years later when the world has changed. Let the militia have military weapons, let hunters (and farmers) have low-output guns for their needs, and keep weapons of mass murder out of the hands of the populace.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Post-Modern (lack of) logic hard at work I see.

I referenced 200+ years of court precedent that didn’t change until 2008. I also made several other points your response neglected to address.

Also, we can do without the quips and ‘gotchas’. You can take those to another message board.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

How about... we appreciate the framework they laid out, but don't dogmatically adhere to it 200 years later when the world has changed. Let the militia have military weapons, let hunters (and farmers) have low-output guns for their needs, and keep weapons of mass murder out of the hands of the populace.

Cars are weapons of mass murder. Should we keep those out of the hands of the populace as well?

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

I referenced 200+ years of court precedent that didn’t change until 2008. I also made several other points your response neglected to address.

Also, we can do without the quips and ‘gotchas’. You can take those to another message board.

Pick out my gulag cell I guess, idk what to tell you.