Gun Control

3 minutes ago, Ulty said:

The Parkland shooter gets life in prison instead of the death penalty. A lot of people, including families of the victims, are angry. This may be unpopular to say, but I think it is the right call. The death penalty does not serve a meaningful purpose, other than the emotion of vengeance. Even though families are hurting, and even though this a$$hole actually deserves to die, the death penalty does not solve anything and does not prevent the next shooting. 

I am generally not for the death penalty, as I agree that it is vengeance and not intended to prevent crime.

But if we're going to have the death penalty, this is the case in which to use it. If we're not going to use it in this case, then eliminate that penalty. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

4 minutes ago, Ulty said:

The Parkland shooter gets life in prison instead of the death penalty. A lot of people, including families of the victims, are angry. This may be unpopular to say, but I think it is the right call. The death penalty does not serve a meaningful purpose, other than the emotion of vengeance. Even though families are hurting, and even though this a$$hole actually deserves to die, the death penalty does not solve anything and does not prevent the next shooting. 

Statistics show that people who have been executed have never committed a crime after being put to death.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I am generally not for the death penalty, as I agree that it is vengeance and not intended to prevent crime.

But if we're going to have the death penalty, this is the case in which to use it. If we're not going to use it in this case, then eliminate that penalty. 

Yep, that's fair to say. 

The death penalty should be eliminated.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Ulty said:

As long as he never gets out again, I agree.  I used to be a huge proponent of the death penalty, not anymore.  Let this guy rot in prison and never be heard from again.  

Also, there's a reason why we don't allow the victims or their families pick the punishment.  This is an example.

• Plus1 2

13 minutes ago, alexhortdog95 said:

Being a firearm owner (and one who thinks sensible gun laws should make, well, sense), I watched this and had agree with a lot of points this guy has.

It's a long video, but hang in there.

I want to have an actual conversation about this, sick of going back and forth about it.

You're going to need a TLDW version.  I can't imagine many folks are going to want to watch 83 minutes of some guy in the woods.

I'm looking for many ways to get out of work.  This ain't one! :thumbs

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

You're going to need a TLDW version.  I can't imagine many folks are going to want to watch 83 minutes of some guy in the woods.

I'm looking for many ways to get out of work.  This ain't one! :thumbs

Unfortunately, that's part of the problem.  Everyone wants the cliffnotes version and they gloss over the nuances of the issue.

44 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m not in favor of that law. 

I think people need to even take a gun safety course (online or in person) before being allowed to purchase.  

I agree.  The sad thing though is, the people who are going to go shoot someone, would go take the course and pass with flying colors.  Then, still go shoot people.  The safety classes would help with accidental shootings.  Not ones that are thought out or with someone who has the propensity to use a gun in an argument.