Gun Control

3 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Buried in this thread is this guy

"I'm for everything.  I'm for school shootings, mall shootings, concert shootings, church shootings, drive-by shootings, parking lot shootings, domestic violence shootings.  If we can get 90% of that then we'll work on the rest". 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
52 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What party is against stronger gun laws?

What party is against expanding paid access to for healthcare that would include mental health?

Hmmmmm......I think if you can answer those questions honestly, you will have your answer to what party is standing in the way of helping to prevent this from happening.

My have the tables turned.  If you aren't voting for a Dem, you aren't voting for life.   My perspective has done a 180 since 2016.  And my perspective is clearer with each passing day.  There is a freedom of conscience in not being tied to one party like I was previously.  Revising what someone famously said "I haven't left the GOP party, the GOP has left me."  

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

Ted, of course, with the cut and paste T & P's.  Maybe at this point praying doesn't do jack s#!t. 

Who is the first to hear one's prayer and therefore the first to take appropriate action?  Is it not the person doing the praying?  The purpose of prayer isn't to inform God of something but for us to listen  for the response and act. Our souls will tell us.  I'm convinced that most GOP Senators and Reps have hardened souls - incapable of hearing and therefore incapable of taking the appropriate action.  Their hearts have been hardened by NRA money, greed and pressure from voting blocs who have a vested interest in not solving the problem.    Prayer only "works" for those who have a sincere, humble heart to act in obedience to the call to action. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

My have the tables turned.  If you aren't voting for a Dem, you aren't voting for life.   My perspective has done a 180 since 2016.  And my perspective is clearer with each passing day.  There is a freedom of conscience in not being tied to one party like I was previously.  Revising what someone famously said "I haven't left the GOP party, the GOP has left me."  

Democrats are often annoying and have frustrating stances on policy, but accepting assault rifles slaughtering school children isn't one of them. 

I place the blame squarely on Republican voters. This issue isn't complicated. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3

2 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Democrats are often annoying and have frustrating stances on policy, but accepting assault rifles slaughtering school children isn't one of them. 

I place the blame squarely on Republican voters. This issue isn't complicated. 

Yep. 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

That must be Archy giving me the laughing face in the shadows.  I have the ignore on for his posts.   :)

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

The worst part is it will happen again in a few months. 

Oh you poor, naive soul.   A week, maybe 2 at most before another school shooting.  I wouldn't be surprised if we have at least one more before March is over.

• TBH 3

Republicans should engage Dems on this issue and come up with a compromise that makes sides a little unhappy.

I’m so tired of the argument over guns that I think I’m finally fine with one posters suggestion to take every single gun away and make every single gun illegal.  If the following occurs beforehand…….

On the extreme compromise end..

1) laws are changed to make any future crime involving a gun, a mandatory life sentence.  Any criminal death involving a gun, a mandatory death sentence.  Any illegal selling of guns is a mandatory life sentence.   If law abiding citizens need to learn to live a life without guns, criminals need to learn to deal with extreme consequences of having them.  

middle of the road compromises.

1)   Make AR 15’s illegal and Gov buys back the gun for double the Average Retail Price.  9 month program to comply and then it’s a mandatory 10 yr jail term for possession of one.  9 months is more than enough time to think about it.  

2) limit the ammo component.

3) Safety course for any owner prior to ownership.  Should include safe storage. 

4) I have no problem with a gun registry.  

5) Dems give up and allow much harsher prison sentences for any gun crime.   Much much harsher prison sentences for crimes like aggravated burglary, and assault.  If people are gonna give up some safety then make the criminals feel more pain when they get caught.  

6) gun theft should be a very hefty prison sentence, and unauthorized selling of guns should come with a very hefty prison sentence. 

7) since we are are targeting the number one killer of children and young adults, let’s go ahead and target the number 2 killer of young adults and make selling (not taking) illegal drugs like Oxy, Meth, cocaine (not talking about weed) etc… back to harsh mandatory minimums for distribution.  If we aren’t serious about getting these killers off the street then don’t talk to me about guns.  

if your gonna play stupid with guns, then suffer the consequences.  At the same time if your gonna play stupid with selling drugs then suffer the consequences.  

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, sho said:

Oh you poor, naive soul.   A week, maybe 2 at most before another school shooting.  I wouldn't be surprised if we have at least one more before March is over.

There was a school shooting in Denver less than a week ago.  A kid had a gun at a high school, and shot 2 administrators who went to confront him about having a gun.  It basically happens at least once a week now.

• TBH 1
3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

GOP values.   That is all the Dem candidate for presidents has to ask the voters.  "Do you value what the GOP values as displayed not by their words but by their actions?"

If played right, it could be up there with "Are you better off now than what you were 4 years ago?"  (Reagan)

Listened to an interview with Mehdi Hasan who said the trick to holding these blow hards accountable is to go into any debate, interview, town hall and just keep asking the same question - for as long as it takes - forget about all the other bs talking points they respond with and just keep asking - ""Do you value what the GOP values as displayed not by their words but by their actions relative to human life?"

• Plus1 3