Gun Control

I understand it may take some time and money, but I would like to see palm/fingerprint recognition safety features on guns. They could be authorized to those that pass background checks, training, etc. I would support Congress allocating funds to research these issues and figure out the best way to implement these policies (but I doubt the NRA would allow that).

The FBI can barely get into a dead terrorist's iPhone after weeks of hacking, but children, criminals, and terrorists seem to be able to acquire and use guns with relative ease.

There's been research into them for a long time, but the reality is, they aren't remotely reliable enough yet.

I'd like to see more time and money be spent on these safeguards (and not allow the NRA to block funding for research).

My iPhone fingerprint is pretty damn reliable! :P

I understand it may take some time and money, but I would like to see palm/fingerprint recognition safety features on guns. They could be authorized to those that pass background checks, training, etc. I would support Congress allocating funds to research these issues and figure out the best way to implement these policies (but I doubt the NRA would allow that).

The FBI can barely get into a dead terrorist's iPhone after weeks of hacking, but children, criminals, and terrorists seem to be able to acquire and use guns with relative ease.

There's been research into them for a long time, but the reality is, they aren't remotely reliable enough yet.

I'd like to see more time and money be spent on these safeguards (and not allow the NRA to block funding for research).

As for the funding issue, I haven't seen a verified report that the NRA is actively blocking funding for research on those type of safeguards. The only thing I've seen them oppose is making it mandatory, especially since it's not reliable. As for the iPhone, I have one too, but the sensor is not remotely reliable enough for a moment where I would need to fire a gun.

THE LARGEST MASS SHOOTING IN US HISTORY HAPPENED December 29,1890. When 297 Sioux Indians at Wounded Knee Creek on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota were murdered by federal agents & members of the 7th Cavalry who had come to confiscate their firearms “FOR THEIR OWN SAFETY AND PROTECTION”. The slaughter began after the majority of the Sioux had peacefully turned in their firearms. The Calvary began shooting, and managed to wipe out the entire camp. 200 of the 297 victims were women and children.

Wounded Knee was among the first federally backed gun confiscation attempts in United States history. It ended in the senseless murder of 297 people.

The Second Amendment, the right of the people to take up arms in defense of themselves, their families, and property in the face of invading armies or an oppressive government. The Second Amendment was written by people who fled oppressive and tyrannical regimes in Europe, and it refers to the right of American citizens to be armed for defensive purposes, should such tyranny arise in the United States.

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we should vehemently resist any attempts to infringe on our Rights to Bear Arms. Without the Second Amendment we will be totally stripped of any ability to defend ourselves and our families.

gun control and what it can lead too

• Fire 2

You could rephrase your last sentence to say "Why should law abiding gun owners suffer for the actions of a few?"

They shouldn't, they don't, and reasonable gun reform doesn't make them "suffer".

And how does additional policing of peace loving muslims make them suffer? In trying to make your argument you continue to lose ground.

Racist profiling, pat-downs, discrimination and living life in fear for your safety is not the same thing as something like having to wait a little longer to get your permit or having a check-up meeting every 2-3 years. Good grief.

THE LARGEST MASS SHOOTING IN US HISTORY HAPPENED December 29,1890. When 297 Sioux Indians at Wounded Knee Creek on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota were murdered by federal agents & members of the 7th Cavalry who had come to confiscate their firearms “FOR THEIR OWN SAFETY AND PROTECTION”. The slaughter began after the majority of the Sioux had peacefully turned in their firearms. The Calvary began shooting, and managed to wipe out the entire camp. 200 of the 297 victims were women and children.

Wounded Knee was among the first federally backed gun confiscation attempts in United States history. It ended in the senseless murder of 297 people.

The Second Amendment, the right of the people to take up arms in defense of themselves, their families, and property in the face of invading armies or an oppressive government. The Second Amendment was written by people who fled oppressive and tyrannical regimes in Europe, and it refers to the right of American citizens to be armed for defensive purposes, should such tyranny arise in the United States.

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we should vehemently resist any attempts to infringe on our Rights to Bear Arms. Without the Second Amendment we will be totally stripped of any ability to defend ourselves and our families.

Them dadgum immigrants...they should be banned...always coming to this country and killing native 'murricans

• Fire 1

What you've just done here is taken a conversation about how to better regulate the dispersement of guns and turned it into 'here come the Liberals trying to take all our guns."

What you've just done here is taken a conversation about how to better regulate the dispersement of guns and turned it into 'here come the Liberals trying to take all our guns."

You can pretty it up all you want.. Gun control is contrary to the second amendment!

Them dadgum immigrants...they should be banned...always coming to this country and killing native 'murricans

not sure what this post is supposed to even mean. Are you assuming I am for Trump? You would be wrong!

Funny thing about Trump and him suggesting to ban illegals/muslim or whatever... Jimmy Carter actually did this very thing, but this has never been mentioned by the liberal media.

You can pretty it up all you want.. Gun control is contrary to the second amendment!

So you wouldn't be willing to wait a few days to receive a purchased firearm/require training or evaluation if it meant the number of mass shooting casualities would decrease?

It's not an amenedmant issue, it's an issue that as a society we are broken and there are crazy POS out there that want to harm people. As a gun owner I think it's pretty clear we can make some sacrifices if it changes things for the better.

As for the funding issue, I haven't seen a verified report that the NRA is actively blocking funding for research on those type of safeguards. The only thing I've seen them oppose is making it mandatory, especially since it's not reliable. As for the iPhone, I have one too, but the sensor is not remotely reliable enough for a moment where I would need to fire a gun.

THe NRA is nothing if not smart - what they've done is block the ability of the CDC and other non-biased groups to do research and determine historical, fact based information (death rates. Impact, injury vs death, mass shooting vs suicide vs domestic violence etc.) Thus, there is very little "amunition" for anyone to use to justify investing in sensors and the like.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cdc-nra-kills-gun-violence-research-2013-1

http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-07-02/quietly-congress-extends-ban-cdc-research-gun-violence

So you wouldn't be willing to wait a few days to receive a purchased firearm/require training or evaluation if it meant the number of mass shooting casualities would decrease?

It's not an amenedmant issue, it's an issue that as a society we are broken and there are crazy POS out there that want to harm people. As a gun owner I think it's pretty clear we can make some sacrifices if it changes things for the better.

The problem is more laws won't do anything. Why is this so hard to understand. it is already illegal to kill, but it still happens..

EDIT: the gun has nothing to do with this, it is a society issue, not a gun issue.

Slate: guns are freedom?

Freedom in America also means that we are free to wake up every morning hoping that it’s not our kid who gets shot with a weapon of war, and free to wake up hoping it’s not our kid who shoots someone, and free to wake up praying it’s not our kid, or our spouse, or our neighbor who shoots herself. In this freest country on earth, we also happen to be in a perpetual hostage situation, in which one false move—or merely the choice to go to class, or to dance with friends—means you may wind up dead.

I don't begrudge anyone's hunting hobby or their preferences on how to protect their family.

But don't call that Freedom™.

It is a sick joke of our democracy that after every mass shooting we must tell our children that the Framers gave us this precious gift of liberty, more valuable than their lives, and that we are stuck with it. This is the opposite of freedom. It is slavery by choice.

Slate: guns are freedom?

Freedom in America also means that we are free to wake up every morning hoping that it’s not our kid who gets shot with a weapon of war, and free to wake up hoping it’s not our kid who shoots someone, and free to wake up praying it’s not our kid, or our spouse, or our neighbor who shoots herself. In this freest country on earth, we also happen to be in a perpetual hostage situation, in which one false move—or merely the choice to go to class, or to dance with friends—means you may wind up dead.

I don't begrudge anyone's hunting hobby or their preferences on how to protect their family.

But don't call that Freedom.

It is a sick joke of our democracy that after every mass shooting we must tell our children that the Framers gave us this precious gift of liberty, more valuable than their lives, and that we are stuck with it. This is the opposite of freedom. It is slavery by choice.

Without guns how are you going to protect yourself against threats? A Gun DOES mean freedom, it is what gave us freedom.

I get you are for gun control, but please don't pretend guns are not the most important factor for why this country is what it is.. FREE!

EDIT: and that last quote is just pure ignorance! lol, as well as the very liberal slate article!

THE LARGEST MASS SHOOTING IN US HISTORY HAPPENED December 29,1890. When 297 Sioux Indians at Wounded Knee Creek on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota were murdered by federal agents & members of the 7th Cavalry who had come to confiscate their firearms FOR THEIR OWN SAFETY AND PROTECTION. The slaughter began after the majority of the Sioux had peacefully turned in their firearms. The Calvary began shooting, and managed to wipe out the entire camp. 200 of the 297 victims were women and children.

The problem is more laws won't do anything. Why is this so hard to understand. it is already illegal to kill, but it still happens

No, you don't want to get it.

I own 4 guns:

-.22 rifle I bought at 19yrs old. No training, no permit, no nothing. Walked into a Wal Mart and bought it then went home with it.

-A Glock 17 Gen 4. Went to sheriffs office, bought $10 permit. Got it in mail a couple days later. Went to Scheels and bought it, went home with it.

-A Walther P22 for my wife. Had gift cards to Cabelas. Went, waited several hours because Xmas time, bought it and went home with it.

-A Mosin Nagant Russian sniper rifle. Went to a local auction and bought it and went home with it.

Now you tell me, if I can do that, couldn't some loser who snapped and decides they want to conduct a mass shooting do the same if their background is clean?

That's the problem. It's not the terrorists or gang related gun violence that stricter laws would be aimed at. It's the nutjobs who go unnoticed until they snap. It's those people that shoot up schools then the next day the neighbor says "He was such a nice guy, can't believe he did this". Those are the people that could poetentially be prevented, not fully but a little. Isn't that worth it? Aren't a few hundred lives a year worth a little extra screening?

THE LARGEST MASS SHOOTING IN US HISTORY HAPPENED December 29,1890. When 297 Sioux Indians at Wounded Knee Creek on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota were murdered by federal agents & members of the 7th Cavalry who had come to confiscate their firearms FOR THEIR OWN SAFETY AND PROTECTION. The slaughter began after the majority of the Sioux had peacefully turned in their firearms. The Calvary began shooting, and managed to wipe out the entire camp. 200 of the 297 victims were women and children.

The problem is more laws won't do anything. Why is this so hard to understand. it is already illegal to kill, but it still happens

No, you don't want to get it.

I own 4 guns:

-.22 rifle I bought at 19yrs old. No training, no permit, no nothing. Walked into a Wal Mart and bought it.

-A Glock 17 Gen 4. Went to sheriffs office, bought $10 permit. Got it in mail a couple days later. Went to Scheels and bought it, went home with it

-A Walther P22 for my wife. Had gift cards to Cabelas. Went, waited several hours because Xmas time, bought it and went home with it.

-A Mosin Nagant Russian sniper rifle. Went to a local auction and bought it.

Now you tell me, if I can do that, couldn't some loser who snapped and decides they want to conduct a mass shooting do the same if their background is clean?

That's the problem. It's not the terrorists or gang related gun violence that stricter laws would be aimed at. It's the nutjobs who go unnoticed until they snap. It's those people that shoot up schools then the next day the neighbor says "He was such a nice guy, can't believe he did this". Those are the people that could poetentially be prevented, not fully but a little. Isn't that worth it? Aren't a few hundred lives a year worth a little extra screening?

No, I'm sorry to say, you don't get it..

What law would strop that very same person from getting a gun? Remember they just snapped, allowing them to get guns in the first place. Waiting 2, or 3 or 4 days? how would that have stopped this guy? it wouldn't have!

The problem is not the gun, it is the person. The lack of morality, the lack of respect for human life.

Please, tell me what law would have stopped this guy?