Gun Control

Why don't we simply address the actual issue of mental health? By all accounts this guys family said he was nuts, he had no business owning any kind of firearm and was a danger to both himself and others. There is nothing special about an AR-15 other than it looks scary in comparison to a multitude of other firearm options that just as easily could have taken the same toll in a supermarket. Violence is a symptom of the society we have created. You take away the scary looking AR and you are left with a multitude of things that can still inflict massive amounts of casualties. Why don't we stop sending money overseas and paying for political pet projects and actually direct those tax dollars to helping education and mental health for starters here in the US. I know this is far too radical and it is far easy to scream for assault weapon bans that statistically did practically nothing to reduce gun violence in the US. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Why don't we simply address the actual issue of mental health? By all accounts this guys family said he was nuts, he had no business owning any kind of firearm and was a danger to both himself and others. There is nothing special about an AR-15 other than it looks scary in comparison to a multitude of other firearm options that just as easily could have taken the same toll in a supermarket. Violence is a symptom of the society we have created. You take away the scary looking AR and you are left with a multitude of things that can still inflict massive amounts of casualties. Why don't we stop sending money overseas and paying for political pet projects and actually direct those tax dollars to helping education and mental health for starters here in the US. I know this is far too radical and it is far easy to scream for assault weapon bans that statistically did practically nothing to reduce gun violence in the US. 

Well said.  I think this cartoon captures much of the gun debate.  Instead of pushing a narrative, analyze what policy will actually help the situation. 

ECBE5E7F-E328-4436-9839-A0199363D601.jpeg

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Why don't we simply address the actual issue of mental health?

Because every nation has people with mental health issues, but America has a unique gun violence issue.

It's not mental health. It's the guns.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Instead of pushing a narrative, analyze what policy will actually help the situation. 

Exactly! The narrative is that there's no way to prevent gun violence. Yet every other first-world nation has - because they have limits on gun ownership that America does not have.

Facts don't care about our feelings. No narratives, just facts. 

• Plus1 2

24 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Because every nation has people with mental health issues, but America has a unique gun violence issue.

It's not mental health. It's the guns.

I view it as actually both.  We definitely have a gun issue in this country.  However, we also have a healthcare issue.  Funny thing is, Republicans instantly say it's not the guns, it's mental health.  But, they don't want to address that either.

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

I see what your saying.  The headline was wrong and misleading.  The video shows per 1 million.  My apologies 

No it wasn't.

• Plus1 2
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I view it as actually both.  We definitely have a gun issue in this country.  However, we also have a healthcare issue.  Funny thing is, Republicans instantly say it's not the guns, it's mental health.  But, they don't want to address that either.

I know this gets mentioned a lot, and it seems intuitive that a person who shoots up a store has mental health issues, but do we have any factual data to support this hypothesis?

Because as has been mentioned every time this is brought up, every single country has mental healthcare issues. The outlier is the amount of guns in America, the types of guns that are legal, and the ease with which we can obtain them. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I know this gets mentioned a lot, and it seems intuitive that a person who shoots up a store has mental health issues, but do we have any factual data to support this hypothesis?

Because as has been mentioned every time this is brought up, every single country has mental healthcare issues. The outlier is the amount of guns in America, the types of guns that are legal, and the ease with which we can obtain them. 

I agree with you that we have a gun issue.  All I'm saying is that we need to address both.  We can address both but one side doesn't want to address either one.

• Plus1 2
58 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Why don't we simply address the actual issue of mental health? 

Any specific ideas you’d like to offer?  In the meantime, would it be a reasonable measure to start thinking up with ways to prevent mentally ill people from walking out of the Bass Pro Shop with a gun?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1