Gun Control

44 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

How many of those knife murders involved mass casualties of people just going about their lives in presumably safe public places?   

I don’t know.  You could probably find that out somewhere.  I would imagine most murders consist of people just going about their lives in either public or private safe places. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

In 2019, rifles accounted for just under 500 murders in the US while knives accounted for 1,600 murders in the US.  Should any media personality previously forced out of a job for lying worry more about knives instead of rifles?  Will he be defining weapon of war soon?   

If those 500 people would still be alive if we took a different course of action as a society, should we do it? 

I don't really see what the other 1600 deaths have to do with the matter.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I don’t know.  You could probably find that out somewhere.  I would imagine most murders consist of people just going about their lives in either public or private safe places. 

You got my point, but just don't want to acknowledge it.  That's fine.  I'm not going to waste my time convincing you that AR-15s have absolutely no place in the hands of private citizens.

And in regards to mass murders, the comparison w/ knives,  or anything else, is flawed.  But, I think you know that as well.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
59 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-deaths-usa/personal-conflicts-biggest-cause-of-murders-in-u-s-idUSTRE64C53R20100513

Most murders happen because of personal conflicts.  I know this thread is focused on automatic weapons and mass shootings.  But America could go a long way in lower gun deaths (and homicides in general) if they were to restrict gun ownership of domestic abusers and drug & alcohol offenders.

I'm not saying a person can't drink beer and own guns.  But if a person is convicted of DUI or public intoxication, been arrested on drug charges, etc...it might be worth a discussion.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

In 2019, rifles accounted for just under 500 murders in the US while knives accounted for 1,600 murders in the US.  Should any media personality previously forced out of a job for lying worry more about knives instead of rifles?  Will he be defining weapon of war soon?   

Is a knife an instrument who's sole purpose is to kill?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I didn't quote her to indicate support,  but rather to show what she is saying regarding the issue. 

It's a pretty bulls#!t quote though, isn't it? We know Republicans are trying to suppress votes - we have their direct quotes and the impact of their legislation to show it. 

I dunno. Maybe people find that kind of stuff funny. Kinda hard to when the end result of those policies is to disenfranchise voters. 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's a pretty bulls#!t quote though, isn't it? We know Republicans are trying to suppress votes - we have their direct quotes and the impact of their legislation to show it. 

I dunno. Maybe people find that kind of stuff funny. Kinda hard to when the end result of those policies is to disenfranchise voters. 

I dunno...many here say that she, and MTG and Hawley, are the face of the R's so while you certainly don't agree with her, your opinion doesn't necessarily make it a bullsh*t quote and it seemed germane to the topic 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

I dunno...many here say that she, and MTG and Hawley, are the face of the R's so while you certainly don't agree with her, your opinion doesn't necessarily make it a bullsh*t quote and it seemed germane to the topic 

It's kinda hard not to consider Ms. Boebert, et al, as faces of the Republican party when they're quoted - apparently with expectations of credibility - in this here forum.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Plus1 3
31 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Kinda hard to when the end result of those policies is to disenfranchise voters

All eligible voters are still eligible to vote.  I kinda don’t believe anyone’s right to vote was taken away or that legally cast votes will be actively taken away with any legislation proposed.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2