Gun Control

28 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

You just described why we'd be a lot safer with fewer of these in circulation.

28 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

You just described why we'd be a lot safer with fewer of these in circulation.

Do make it more difficult for women to defend themselves? 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Fair enough, and that shows my lack of knowledge on the subject, so I appreciate the additional info. I am still just curious why you need this type of weapon for “self defense”?

It is a multi use multi purpose rifle. Hunting, self defense etc. It checks all the boxes. Again we are talking about on average 15 mass shooting deaths annually with this weapon. If we want to discuss other ways the AR15 kills via suicide etc then we need to address that the vast majority of gun fatalities are handguns. 

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

JJ, just curious why the pandemic and “rioting” drove you to get an AR-15. You say it’s “fun to shoot” but why do people feel the need to have a gun which is so powerful?  Also, don’t you live in Greeley? What about the past year made you so fearful, that you feel you needed a gun like the AR-15.

I am not trying to be a d!(k here. I am honestly curious. I am not a gun guy. I have never shot a gun in my life. As a non-gun guy, I am curious why people feel the need to carry such powerful weapons. Not judging, just generally curious. 

I'd been thinking about getting one for quite awhile.  I'm not particularly fearful, I strongly doubt I will ever need any gun for self defense. It was just a fluke chance of conditions coming together. A guy that works for me had one he wanted to sell and the rioting and social unrest provided me with just enough of an excuse to finally buy one. He also had a 9MM handgun to sell so we made a package deal. BTW, the guy I bought them from is a gun nut. He has 45 guns in his house. It's his hobby. He builds them out and occasionally he sells one to acquire a different one or to provide funds for parts he needs. And yes, the sale went through the proper channels with a CBI background check.

I'm not much of a gun person either. I've had a shotgun since my college days but never anything more powerful. I don't "carry" it. It is locked up in my home. I've only had the chance to take it out shooting twice. TBH, I don't feel real comfortable with it yet. Haven't handled/shot it enough so am not familiar enough with it.

I really don't think the AR is anymore "powerful" per se than the handgun. Yes, it can cause more severe injuries but really it's biggest attribute is that it looks menacing and has a bit more mag capacity (30 compared to 19). Either one of them would be a serious problem in the hands of a person willing to do harm.

And on pondering further, I wouldn't have any problem giving it up if that is part of the solution. The two times I've been to the shooting range/area..... let's just say those aren't my people. A little too much redneck happening there for my taste. I'd just like to see a lot more effort put in to screening out the crazies rather than blaming inanimate objects.

Edit-

I will add, the biggest incentive I had to get an AR was knowing/thinking they will be outlawed soon. A little off subject (maybe not) but the thing that sells the most guns in this country is when a democrat is in the WH. I know the (past) CFO of a large well known hunting outfitters company. The Obama presidency caused a huge boon in gun sales and when Trump was elected it dropped off significantly. Knowing this was the case, I wanted to get in before things went even crazier. FYI, when they submitted my background check, I was number 1172 or 1972 in line (can't remember which)....and that is just for Colorado sales, not nationally. It took about 1.5 days to clear the check. IMO that is a sh#tload of people buying guns at the same time and also not nearly enough time to do anything resembling a thorough background check.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

It is a multi use multi purpose rifle. Hunting, self defense etc. It checks all the boxes. Again we are talking about on average 15 mass shooting deaths annually with this weapon. If we want to discuss other ways the AR15 kills via suicide etc then we need to address that the vast majority of gun fatalities are handguns. 

If you need a 30 round magazine to hunt deer, then you may not be a very good shot.  :P Sorry, couldn't resist. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Anybody that would hunt big game with an AR is a moron. Period.

• Haha 1

I wish we could get somewhere on this, but if a guy lights up a kindergarten and kills a bunch of little kids - and we literally do nothing to prevent it from happening again - we're never gonna get anywhere. It's been proven that a segment of this country doesn't give a f#&% unless it directly effects their lives. As long as their kid wasn't shot - they don't want to change s#!t. 

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I probably spoke out of turn. Being from Colorado, "hunting" implies deer, elk etc. I can see using an AR for something lik boars or coyote. My bad.

I agree with your assessment regarding large animals...just wanted to point out there is a LOT of diverse hunting opportunities 

24 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I wish we could get somewhere on this, but if a guy lights up a kindergarten and kills a bunch of little kids - and we literally do nothing to prevent it from happening again - we're never gonna get anywhere. It's been proven that a segment of this country doesn't give a f#&% unless it directly effects their lives. As long as their kid wasn't shot - they don't want to change s#!t. 

protect our kids the same way we protect anything else we value. 

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I would think a handgun would be far more useful in a home invasion scenario. That rifle in a hallway is constricting in a way a handgun isn't.

I would much rather have my AR but am confident I could make it work with a multitude of firearms. If we want to address mass shootings like you mentioned and only 15 mass shooting deaths annually are attributed to the AR15 how big of a difference does that actually make? Now if we want to talk gun violence in general we need to address all guns and how to decrease gun violence in general and not just mass shootings. This becomes a very multi layered issue and I am confident we could come to a multitude of agreements around a multitude of contributing factors and ways in which to attempt to reduce said gun violence by addressing them. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I protect my money by keeping it away from BitCoin.  I believe we’re on the same page here. 

I made a quick buck early this year on flipping a few dogecoins. Hopefully when Elon colonizes Mars he uses Doge coin as the global Mars currency. 

• Plus1 1