Gun Control

8 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Actual, Federally based, universal background checks to start. More stringent mental health assessments. If you have every been institutionalized for a mental breakdown...no guns. Stop allowing set asides/pardons for those convicted of domestic abuse.

I am cautious regarding private sales, which some refer to as the "gun show loophole." I personally think that an actual Federal Purchase License might work. Apply every 3 or 5 years, get an in depth background check, update addresses, then pay a nominal fee to receive a license to purchase weapons. Then, even with private sales, that registration/ID number could be recorded for better tracking of the firearms themselves. If you don't have the license and ID, you don't buy a firearm.

Staunch 2A advocates will never go for this as a stand alone. However, if the option is an outright ban or get the license...they may choose the license. 

OK, I thought from your post, it sounded like there were already laws on the books that aren't being enforced.  I've heard others say that so I always wondered what is on the books and being ignored by law enforcement.

So, you believe legislation needs to be changed or tweaked.  

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK, I thought from your post, it sounded like there were already laws on the books that aren't being enforced.  I've heard others say that so I always wondered what is on the books and being ignored by law enforcement.

So, you believe legislation needs to be changed or tweaked.  

Not exactly, because as it is, there is no legislation at the Federal level. Each State can enact and enforce their own set of standards. They need to unify at the National level. 

• Plus1 1
  • 3 weeks later...

What a great, upstanding organization.

Testimony included examples of the nonprofit organization's tax-exempt funds being used for wedding expenses, private jet travel and exotic getaways. For example, LaPierre's private travel consultant, who was paid $26,000 a month to cater to him personally, testified about how LaPierre instructed her to alter travel invoices for private jets so as to hide their true destinations.

The trial also gave a rare look into the behavior of LaPierre, who has led the controversial organization for almost 30 years. A secretive figure, LaPierre makes few public appearances outside of carefully scripted speeches.

During questioning, he admitted to annual trips to the Bahamas, where he would stay on a luxury yacht belonging to an NRA vendor — a conflict of interest he did not disclose at the time, which testimony and court proceedings showed was in contravention of NRA policy. Instead, he justified the Caribbean trips to the court as a "security retreat" that was necessary for his safety and that of his family members.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

With the discussion in the T&P thread I will share some good info I found here

https://www.safehome.org/data/firearms-guns-statistics/

Few political issues are used more effectively to drive action than gun laws. The typical conservative position favors reducing restrictions on gun ownership, while the average liberal position is to increase these restrictions.

One need look no further than the enormous sums of money spent lobbying candidates and sitting politicians in one direction or the other. Over the past 20 years, nearly $200 million has been spent by gun control groups, gun rights groups and gun manufacturers on lobbying at the federal level.

Spending by gun rights groups dwarfs all other spending, though. Groups like the National Rifle Association (NRA) spent a combined $11 million in 2019, several times more than was spent by the other types of groups, according to OpenSecrets.org, which is operated by the nonpartisan nonprofit Center for Responsive Politics.

As divided as their elected representatives seem to be on the issue of guns, for their part, Americans are in agreement on some issues: About 64 percent say laws on the sale of firearms should be more strict, while about 70 percent say background checks should be required for all gun purchases, according to a Gallup survey. But the appetite for major changes in gun laws, such as total bans on certain types of weapons, vary. Only about 29 percent believe handguns should be banned, while just over half say they oppose a ban on weapons like the AR-15.

17 minutes ago, Enhance said:

The gun control debate has been more about money than the 2nd Amendment for a long, long time. Manufacturers are profiting off of an obsessive culture and fear-mongering more than anything else.

And many of those people obsessed with the gun culture seem to be the most  susceptible to all the fear mongering.  The NRA/gun lobby knows it.  The GOP knows it. It’s a win for both.  

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

On 6/12/2021 at 4:08 PM, DevoHusker said:

This isn't meant to be a criticism of you Devo, but to be honest, I don't think the perspective is all that interesting... at least in terms of originality and efficaciousness. For decades, many Americans have been pointing out the irony between how we approach gun violence vs. how we approach other public health and safety issues. The examples listed in that post are just a handful of problems we identified and chose to address through logic and sensibility.

Somehow (and I say 'somehow' very tongue-in-cheek) firearms and gun violence continue to avoid rationalism for too many Americans and policy makers.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

This isn't meant to be a criticism of you Devo, but to be honest, I don't think the perspective is all that interesting... at least in terms of originality and efficaciousness. For decades, many Americans have been pointing out the irony between how we approach gun violence vs. how we approach other public health and safety issues. The examples listed in that post are just a handful of problems we identified and chose to address through logic and sensibility.

Somehow (and I say 'somehow' very tongue-in-cheek) firearms and gun violence continue to avoid rationalism for too many Americans and policy makers.

No offense taken. I believe they are interesting in the way you put the bolded. Common sense solutions were found for each of those issues. Not one of those solutions involved outright bans or seizing private property. Not one mention of "no one should ever be able to possess more than one bottle of Tylenol". Restrictions were placed on the fertilizer used in OK City, but it is still available. I truly want someone to find a way to reduce mass shootings. But if policy makers haven't been able to (or haven't wanted to as you point out) come up with solutions similar to those on the list to this point, I feel it may be so much shouting into the abyss. 

3 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

But if policy makers haven't been able to (or haven't wanted to as you point out) come up with solutions similar to those on the list to this point, I feel it may be so much shouting into the abyss. 

That's 100% what the gun control debate feels like to me. Probably an unpopular opinion to some, but I think a big part of the problem is the unwillingness among gun advocates to concede more ground than they're currently willing to give up, and I think they're the ones that need to. If I could snap my fingers and remove all civilian owned firearms from homes and streets in America (save for hunting rifles/shotgun), and significantly increase the requirements for getting any kind of firearm, I would. But, I know some of that is unrealistic, so there needs to be some more concession.

And I think this thread is kind of a microcosm of the gun debate in general. I have posted on more than one occasion some tangible, real world solutions based off of other countries' approaches. It didn't get a lot of attention. I'm not saying that to get sympathy. Maybe my post sucked. But, if you look at most of the conversation after my post, very little of it is centered actual policy analysis and sensible solutions. It's a lot of commentary about things on social media, knife attacks, etc. Feels like a lot of people are too focused on the shiny objects in the debate rather than actually fixing the problem.

• Plus1 2