Gun Control

8 minutes ago, commando said:

can we at least make guns and ammo as tough to buy as it is to buy sudafed?

That's what gets me.  Many of the pro-gun people also want to limit marijuana or other recreational drugs because it can "lead to bad things", and "what about the kids", but when average people and young children get shot to death in a grocery store or elementary school, it's not the fault of the gun (which main job is to kill/harm living things).

• Plus1 4

Should we enact common-sense legislation to attempt to curb America's epidemic of gun violence?

Nah. Let's just come up with a new catchphrase to show how much we care after yet more schoolchildren are slaughtered by a gun...

FTk1MGpWUAAutLY?format=jpg&name=small

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Should we enact common-sense legislation to attempt to curb America's epidemic of gun violence?

Nah. Let's just come up with a new catchphrase to show how much we care after yet more schoolchildren are slaughtered by a gun...

FTk1MGpWUAAutLY?format=jpg&name=small

It's honestly a game of mad libs for some of our leaders in coming up with a response to events.

EDIT:  The worst part about it is the lack of anger which comes from these politicians.  They offer their T's and P's or horrification or heartbreak, but they never come out with "This needs to stop and we need to do what it takes to stop this" because they know that would get them in hot water with the NRA and other contributors.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Why are people so "unreasonable" on these issues?  Do they have such a hard-on for their guns that they aren't willing to have any common sense?

As a gun owner.  I honestly can not figure out this.  I own guns, but I am not part of the gun culture that worships them.  They are a tool I use for sport (hunting).

As a country, we need to stop thinking doing the same thing will get different results.  I am sick and tired of the gun worshiping culture unwilling to be a part of the solution.  I'm also sick and tired of people refusing to fix healthcare so that we can get a better handle on mental health in this country.

Problem as I see it though, these two groups many times have the same people in them.

• Plus1 3

38 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

As a gun owner.  I honestly can not figure out this.  I own guns, but I am not part of the gun culture that worships them.  They are a tool I use for sport (hunting).

As a country, we need to stop thinking doing the same thing will get different results.  I am sick and tired of the gun worshiping culture unwilling to be a part of the solution.  I'm also sick and tired of people refusing to fix healthcare so that we can get a better handle on mental health in this country.

Problem as I see it though, these two groups many times have the same people in them.

Can I ask what changes you would like to see that what prevent these, or at least some of the tragedies.   I’m not a gun nut either and think both sides of this equation just talk past each other.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
23 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Can I ask what changes you would like to see that what prevent these, or at least some of the tragedies.   I’m not a gun nut either and think both sides of this equation just talk past each other.  

I would study what other countries are doing and learn from it.  No, I'm not for a complete ban on guns.  But, there are other countries who have more developed gun laws that we can learn from.  I'm not an expert on that, so I can't list them right now.

It's also very clear that other countries have healthcare systems that are not nearly as expensive and more access to everyone.  Learn from it and figure out how we can implement some of those changes to our system.

But....the US seems to have way too big of ego to think that they are going to learn from other countries.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Why are these assault rifles legal? If it's for self-defense, are you expecting multiple gun-men to be attacking your home where you need to mow them down with a round of gun-fire? If it's for hunting, are you going to shoot Bambi 15-times to make sure that thing is killed, so you can patch that deer up and mount it above your fireplace, so you look total bad-a$$?

Someone please give me a reasonable response to why a military grade rifle capable of firing off hundreds of rounds of bullets is "needed" for the average person? 

Because of little d!(k complex

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The pro-gun people will always say "this won't stop the criminals from getting guns" or "this won't stop all shootings", but why does it have to be an all or none philosophy.  Why do we allow guns which can hold magazines of bullets to the general public?  Why do we allow hundreds of rounds of ammunition to be sold at one time?  Why do we allow a person to step into a store and purchase an AR-15 and get it on the same day, without any type of background check?

Why are people so "unreasonable" on these issues?  Do they have such a hard-on for their guns that they aren't willing to have any common sense?

It's the same on lots of topics. All or nothing. I think it's really the slippery slope worry. We can't outlaw ARs because they will come for the semi auto next, and then the side arm with too big of a clip. Lots of pro gun folks worry about "big brother" too. Seems like limits on certain guns would be easy and better background checks too. If I owned a gun shop I would tell 18 year olds, no, but then again they can fight a war. I would even profile people and refuse to sell if they gave me the creeps, but then they might come after the gun shop when they get one...or sue me.

• Haha 1