Gun Control

24 minutes ago, nic said:

I read on CNN that a school security officer confronted the kid when he walked in. It made him drop a bag of ammo, but I have not seen any other details. Not sure if the kid just ran away from the guard and the guard didn’t shoot. It will be interesting to find out what happened. Maybe he missed his chance to be a hero. 

Reports I've read, the guard noticed he had guns and confronted him, and he dropped the bag and took off.  Guard got off shots, I've read 6-8, and missed all of them.   He claimed that the kid didn't stop because he was wearing body armor, turned out that was a lie, and he was a really bad shot.   I've also read it was 2 armed security officers that shot, not sure if that's accurate or not.  

Between this incident and Parkland, we are 0-2 for armed security guards stopping a mass shooting at a school.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s a silly question as you actually know why the secret service does this.  

Yep.  It’s the same type of silly “gotcha” point that people try to make about equating security fences around SCOTUS and fences at the southern border.

• Plus1 3

Here's a thread of what went down with the police during the shooting

As a parent, I get this one, but as a police officer, this is the wrong choice:

When they did enter the school, they went to rescue their own kids first rather than deal with the shooter

• Plus1 2
19 hours ago, walksalone said:

We are, but the talking hairdo's in DC aren't checking on this thread thinking, "these guys and gals have some good ideas, lets get some legislation passed"

I think the Hairdos already know that the vast majority of Americans (voters) support less controversial steps like background checks and restricting high-capacity magazines. There's a bill awaiting the Senate on background checks. It's not going to solve our gun problem, nor will it cripple our nation's cherished gun-sellers. It's the kind of tepid apolitical response that politicians typically embrace because they can point to it as doing something. Should be a no-brainer. 

But the GOP won't even let it come to a vote. And 83% of GUN OWNERS support expanded background checks.

There was another resolution a few years back to commission a study on gun safety, modeled after a previous study on automobile safety that brought together the car industry, the roadway builders, and policy makers, resulting in a major reduction in annual automotive deaths. Should have been another no-brainer.

But the GOP refused to commission the study. 

You tell me. Maybe it's too easy to say the NRA wants zero changes to the current gun culture, and pays handsomely to make it so. Maybe that's exactly what this is.

It's certainly not the will of the people. And that's a common theme these days. The next step is people taking to the streets, at which the Right-leaning media and politicians  declare shock and fear at the show of lawlessness. And that's our segue from doing nothing to civil war. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

The police are going to have a lot of explaining to do. The more we hear about this, the worse it gets for them.

Eh, I disagree. If they hold out for another few days, a different mass shooting will slaughter innocent people, some serious T&P will be sent, and people will move on.

The Senate is a slave to rural states - like Idaho, Wyoming, etc. - full of out of shape white guys who are convinced that guns ownership define their conservatism. 

This problem will never be solved because Conservatives have decided that what happened in Texas is worth it. 

• Plus1 2
21 hours ago, walksalone said:

Then what do you propose?

Making them illegal. 

21 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Okay. Notice I said my. 

How do you think National confiscation/moratorium would look?

I know; what I posted what my opinion. And I'm past the point of caring how it would look. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1