Gun Control

6 hours ago, teachercd said:

This is pretty much the idea I have and amazingly it doesn't even require a law.  People that have guns in America can just go and turn them in and never buy another one.  Sporting good stores can simply no longer sell them.

People, and clearly there are many of us that feel this way, can start this.

in theory, good idea, but what are you going to do offset the spike in crime once the criminals figure out nobody in the homes are armed and it's christmas for those douchebags...

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, walksalone said:

in theory, good idea, but what are you going to do offset the spike in crime once the criminals figure out nobody in the homes are armed and it's christmas for those douchebags...

Call the police?  Like I would do right now.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, walksalone said:

There were trained, armed police at the school yesterday. It's not like the presence of a gun is going to stop criminals from shooting you.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
26 minutes ago, ZRod said:

He actually said something good if you hear it out. Spend more money on mental health.

That's one aspect, not the root cause,  but do you really think he's going to be in favor of spending more money on mental health?  

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

There were trained, armed police at the school yesterday. It's not like the presence of a gun is going to stop criminals from shooting you.

exactly, and I'm going to keep mine because I'd prefer the ability to return fire

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Scarlet said:

That's one aspect, not the root cause,  but do you really think he's going to be in favor of spending more money on mental health?  

It'll be a featured part of the Republican bill that will "repeal and replace" Obamacare.

That should be rolling out any day now. Any day...

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, sho said:

Hard to say it worked when multiple people still died.   Yes, it could have been worse, but that doesn't mean it was successful.

I didn’t say successful, but I bet she saved lives. I think she was shot too. She did better than the guards at Robb….or the police from what I am reading.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Is this where we need to pull out the studies that you're far more likely to be involved in gun violence if you own a gun than not?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/apr/07/guns-handguns-safety-homicide-killing-study

We found zero evidence of any kind of protective effects” from living in a home with a handgun, said David Studdert, a Stanford University researcher who was the lead author of the Annals of Internal Medicine study.

The researchers calculated that for every 100,000 people in that situation, 12 will be shot to death by someone else over five years. In comparison, eight out of 100,000 who live in gun-free homes will be killed that way over the same time span.

Those numbers suggest the risk rises 50%, but Studdert said it was actually higher: in a separate calculation designed to better account for where people live and other factors, the researchers estimated the risk was more than twice as high.

In particular, the researchers found, people who lived with handgun owners had a much higher rate of being fatally shot by a spouse or intimate partner. The vast majority of such victims, 84%, were women, they said.

Living with a handgun owner particularly increased the risk of being shot to death in a domestic violence incident, and it did not provide any protection against being killed at home by a stranger, the researchers found.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, walksalone said:

exactly, and I'm going to keep mine because I'd prefer the ability to return fire

Pretending that you having a gun keeps you safe is a fallacy. You may think you're going to Rambo back at the shooter, but you're not even a trained cop who drills on this stuff on a monthly basis.

The cops at Robb Elementary were literally just trained on this exact scenario, and they did nothing while 19 people died.

I know we're all the hero in our own story, but the reality is you're more likely to freeze or eff up than defend yourself.

Meanwhile, those guns in your house more than double the likelihood that someone in that house will die of gun violence.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, I mean that is what most people do right now.

And all those people, that end up statistics because somebody came in their house, and did horrible sh*t, thats not going to happen to me...

That's where we differ I guess

• Plus1 1