Gun Control

4 minutes ago, walksalone said:

And all those people, that end up statistics because somebody came in their house, and did horrible sh*t, thats not going to happen to me...

That's where we differ I guess

Do you live in constant fear of this happening to you or no fear at all because you have your peacemaker with you at all times?

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Pretending that you having a gun keeps you safe is a fallacy. You may think you're going to Rambo back at the shooter, but you're not even a trained cop who drills on this stuff on a monthly basis.

The cops at Robb Elementary were literally just trained on this exact scenario, and they did nothing while 19 people died.

I know we're all the hero in our own story, but the reality is you're more likely to freeze or eff up than defend yourself.

Meanwhile, those guns in your house more than double the likelihood that someone in that house will die of gun violence.

Received training in the army on the M-16, received training using a shotgun and a beretta working security at a DoD weapons R&D facility

I got classes in active shooter, threat assessment, and hours at the range

I'm not Rambo, not by any stretch, but I am confident in myself, should something like that occur.

Assumption is rarely a good look...

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Do you live in constant fear of this happening to you or no fear at all because you have your peacemaker with you at all times?

Not at all times, in close proximity yes....

Think about this, I never sit with my back to a window or door when I'm out, and there's always at least one, preferably two egress points...

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, walksalone said:

Received training in the army on the M-16, received training using a shotgun and a beretta working security at a DoD weapons R&D facility

I got classes in active shooter, threat assessment, and hours at the range

I'm not Rambo, not by any stretch, but I am confident in myself, should something like that occur.

Assumption is rarely a good look...

How many years ago was that training?

Just now, walksalone said:

Original training 2016, paid for my refresher last year.   Hoping they offer something closer than Denver so I can go again this year.

The cops who failed to act yesterday were trained for this exact scenario this Spring.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, walksalone said:

Not at all times, in close proximity yes....

Think about this, I never sit with my back to a window or door when I'm out, and there's always at least one, preferably two egress points...

So you probably won't eat at one of those 360 degree view window restaruants.  

Most Popular Revolving Restaurants | Travel Channel Blog: Roam | Travel  Channel

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The cops who failed to act yesterday were trained for this exact scenario this Spring.

and?

Everyone is different.  We all handle emotions differently.

I'm not sure what you're necessarily trying to prove with this path you're going down, and I'm not sure how it pertains to the event.

There are not a lot of people who are built for that, a lot of people won't know until it happens to them, heaven forbid.

But assuming that everyone is going to go all keystone cops if someone breaks in, is naive as everyone thinking they'd be "Rambo" if someone broke in their house.

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

So you probably won't eat at one of those 360 degree view window restaruants.  

Most Popular Revolving Restaurants | Travel Channel Blog: Roam | Travel  Channel

I guess I'd find that funnier if the V.A. gave a f#&% about mental illness

• Plus1 1

31 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

That's one aspect, not the root cause,  but do you really think he's going to be in favor of spending more money on mental health?  

He should be, but the party isn't.

2 minutes ago, walksalone said:

and?

Everyone is different.  We all handle emotions differently.

I'm not sure what you're necessarily trying to prove with this path you're going down, and I'm not sure how it pertains to the event.

There are not a lot of people who are built for that, a lot of people won't know until it happens to them, heaven forbid.

But assuming that everyone is going to go all keystone cops if someone breaks in, is naive as everyone thinking they'd be "Rambo" if someone broke in their house.

You're making the claim that we should be allowed to have guns because they make us safer in the case of home invasion. It's not only statistically not true, but having a gun in the home has been proven to more than double the risk of gun homicide. So the downside of owning a gun is far greater than the upside.

Further, simply taking a couple of training courses as a non-LEO isn't evidentially helpful in an active shooter scenario, as evidenced by fully-trained LEOs failing to act in a situation they were just trained for.

Meanwhile, perpetuating this (false) need to own guns keeps guns in the populace, and leads to these kinds of atrocities. The false sense of security legal guns brings isn't worth the rest of the country living in fear that their kid is next.

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

He actually said something good if you hear it out. Spend more money on mental health.

He should realize he's running in a party that has done absolutely nothing to aid improving mental healthcare in America.  In fact, they are worked the opposite direction.

This is the mantra they bring out during times like this after a tragedy.  Then....forget about it.

Just now, knapplc said:

You're making the claim that we should be allowed to have guns because they make us safer in the case of home invasion. It's not only statistically not true, but having a gun in the home has been proven to more than double the risk of gun homicide. So the downside of owning a gun is far greater than the upside.

Further, simply taking a couple of training courses as a non-LEO isn't evidentially helpful in an active shooter scenario, as evidenced by fully-trained LEOs failing to act in a situation they were just trained for.

Meanwhile, perpetuating this (false) need to own guns keeps guns in the populace, and leads to these kinds of atrocities. The false sense of security legal guns brings isn't worth the rest of the country living in fear that their kid is next.

You've already said all this multiple times, I get it.

I guess there is such little faith in humanity that your level of trust of another person is lower than mine, and mine is negligible.

• Plus1 1