Gun Control

I just read about a girl who played dead after the initial shooting. So she had to do that the entire time the police sat on their hands. And who knows how many kids bled to death while they waited. 

Anyhow, I’ll add a reminder to the topic of having more armed defenders. How do you have armed people defending against people waving guns around, but also let those people kill others and then get acquitted? The people defending have to allow at least 1 person to get shot before they act, otherwise the Rittenhouse defense can be used.

• Plus1 1

18 hours ago, knapplc said:

I did not "go off" on you. I said, and provided sources, that there is no link to mental health and the kind of mass shooting which prompted this conversation. I could not have been more clear about that whole conversation.

Then you said mental health might be part of it. You decided to make a huge deal out of what someone else said….then basically say the same thing. 

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Then you said mental health might be part of it. You decided to make a huge deal out of what someone else said….then basically say the same thing. 

I pushed back on you deliberately misrepresenting what I said, when I very clearly responded to one section of your post. And no, I'm not saying the same thing. This is getting really, really stupid.

dedhoarse

On 5/26/2022 at 10:32 AM, walksalone said:

exactly, and I'm going to keep mine because I'd prefer the ability to return fire

I honestly think most people are good with that, assuming you don't mind a background check and don't anticipate needing an AR-15 to defend yourself. 

We keep trying to put everything into partisan silos when the truth is squarely in the middle.

There's a huge mental illness problem in the U.S. and people (like my wife) have been fighting for years to raise awareness and promote more compassionate and effective treatment. There is obviously some overlap when a person chooses to commit a violent anti-social act as part of their own suicide, but mental illness is not the root of the problem according to statistical evidence. If you want to join the fight for better mental health awareness and treatment, please join us. But at the moment "mental illness" is being used as an excuse and a distraction for the gun violence issue, and it's orchestrated by strategic communications professionals doing media messaging for conservative interests.  I honestly don't know where you stand when you bring up mental illness, but be aware that the words are a bit charged and manipulated right now. 

There are also millions of responsible gun owners in the U.S. As there are in Canada. For most of my life, the NRA was about responsible gun ownership and teaching gun safety. Under Wayne LaPierre it has become a death cult, using most of its money and resources to lobby Congress, spread disinformation, and use ancient fears to drum up more money. We should be able to have a reasonable conversation that separates common sense gun laws and legitimate 2nd Amendment freedoms from the NRA's psychotic fantasies. 

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, knapplc said:

I pushed back on you deliberately misrepresenting what I said, when I very clearly responded to one section of your post. And no, I'm not saying the same thing. This is getting really, really stupid.

dedhoarse

Great. I’ll stop commenting since you think I’m doing that and you stop picking pieces of my post out and making a huge deal about it. 

• Oh Yeah! 1

we have an over abundance of guns in america.....and far too many of them end up in the hands of the bad guys.... and  all the good guys with guns that the NRA and republicans claim are all around....those good guys are rarely around when the bad guys with guns show up.   for every story of a good guy with a gun there are at least dozens of stories of the bad guys f#&%ing things up as fast as possible with their freedom guns.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

to duck hunt in Nebraska you need to put a plug in your shotgun so you can't hold more than 3 shells.    but if you buy an AR-15 there is no limit.    if we can limit ourselves to 3 shells while duck hunting...let's also limit assault rifle magazines to 3 shells also.  that won't stop mass killings...but it will buy some time while the nutjobs are reloading for the proverbial good guy with a gun to show up and stop the bad guy with a gun.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
6 hours ago, commando said:

to duck hunt in Nebraska you need to put a plug in your shotgun so you can't hold more than 3 shells.    but if you buy an AR-15 there is no limit.    if we can limit ourselves to 3 shells while duck hunting...let's also limit assault rifle magazines to 3 shells also.  that won't stop mass killings...but it will buy some time while the nutjobs are reloading for the proverbial good guy with a gun to show up and stop the bad guy with a gun.

There are legitimate reasons to have higher capacity magazines, and I think we'd all agree that there should be a license for those cases and an extensive evaluation of the person and the need.

Some of yall have guns.  

None of yall have mental illness.  

No wonder that many of you can't put 2 and 2 together.

No wonder yall make the Uvalde TX shooting a headstrong political stance, instead of taking a few days away to grieve for the children that died. 

I seriously cannot understand some of you.  I do understand those that can put 2 and 2 together tho, trying to understand why something so awful happened.

Please take a minute or two and remember the children.  For some of us, in our prayers.  Amen.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1