Gun Control

12 hours ago, admo said:

Some of yall have guns.  

None of yall have mental illness.  

No wonder that many of you can't put 2 and 2 together.

No wonder yall make the Uvalde TX shooting a headstrong political stance, instead of taking a few days away to grieve for the children that died. 

I seriously cannot understand some of you.  I do understand those that can put 2 and 2 together tho, trying to understand why something so awful happened.

Please take a minute or two and remember the children.  For some of us, in our prayers.  Amen.

Why do you assume none of us have mental illnesses? What do you imagine people with mental illness to be like? All institutionalized with no internet access? Depression is a mental illness. Do you really think no one who posts here is depressed?

The rest of what you’re saying is fairly incomprehensible since you’re so vague. And I doubt anyone at all needs to be told to think about the children. Not everyone needs a 3 day moment of silence to talk about what should be done to prevent things like this. 

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, admo said:

Some of yall have guns.  

No wonder yall make the Uvalde TX shooting a headstrong political stance, instead of taking a few days away to grieve for the children that died. 

I seriously cannot understand some of you.  I do understand those that can put 2 and 2 together tho, trying to understand why something so awful happened.

Please take a minute or two and remember the children.  For some of us, in our prayers.  Amen.

2 (more guns) + 2 (ease of getting guns) = 4 (more dead school kids)

• Plus1 4
18 hours ago, commando said:

to duck hunt in Nebraska you need to put a plug in your shotgun so you can't hold more than 3 shells.    but if you buy an AR-15 there is no limit.    if we can limit ourselves to 3 shells while duck hunting...let's also limit assault rifle magazines to 3 shells also.  that won't stop mass killings...but it will buy some time while the nutjobs are reloading for the proverbial good guy with a gun to show up and stop the bad guy with a gun.

Exactly.   To prevent overkilling, because ducks tend to be found in large groups.  Kind of like classrooms of school children and movie theaters, concerts, .......  

Heck, the assault weapons bill from the Clinton administration limited magazine capacity to 10 rounds and all the "gun freaks" were pissed about that.   

11 hours ago, admo said:

Some of yall have guns.  

Please take a minute or two and remember the children.  For some of us, in our prayers.  Amen.

Grieving and remembering is great if it makes you feel better, but as with "thoughts and prayers" won't prevent future tragedies, which is what this thread is about.  Finding solutions to a problem that most Republicans are unwilling to solve.  Oh, and that's pretty bold of you...stating none of "us" have "mental illness."  You know that, how?

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, admo said:

Some of yall have guns.  

This is what our society has chosen as the norm. Dead people from mass shootings. 

If this is what society wants, then I’m not going to let it affect me emotionally. 

Now, if society doesn’t want this and wants to change, then I’m willing to have the conversation. 

Until then, cheers. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ZRod said:

There are legitimate reasons to have higher capacity magazines, and I think we'd all agree that there should be a license for those cases and an extensive evaluation of the person and the need.

This seems sensible to me.  

raising the age for AR-15 ownership to 21 could be an option since many of these shooters fall under that age (though I thought i read CA? Had a state law on that, that was recently struck down).  
And an extended background check for those over 21 wanting to purchase an AR-15.  

**On a side note, I would personally like to see the military only open to those 21 and over also.   

• Plus1 2

I would still be in favor in some of the procedures the U.K. relies on to issue firearm certificates. Specifically, something related or similar to these items:

• two referees of verifiable good character who have known the applicant for at least two years (and who may themselves be interviewed and/or investigated as part of the certification)
  • approval of the application by the applicant's own family doctor

There are several U.K. laws that I don't think would ever fly here (i.e. "self defense" is not a good enough reason to own a gun in the U.K.) but those two items have always seemed logical and reasonable to me, and I think they would go a long way towards keeping guns away from people who shouldn't have them.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

This seems sensible to me.  

raising the age for AR-15 ownership to 21 could be an option since many of these shooters fall under that age (though I thought i read CA? Had a state law on that, that was recently struck down).  
And an extended background check for those over 21 wanting to purchase an AR-15.  

**On a side note, I would personally like to see the military only open to those 21 and over also.   

This would be reasonable. I think raising the age to buy assault weapons should be 21, in addition to background checks, should be the minimum. 

I have a feeling we're going to get some weak 'Red Flag Law' and they're going to call it a day.

3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I would still be in favor in some of the procedures the U.K. relies on to issue firearm certificates. Specifically, something related or similar to these items:

• two referees of verifiable good character who have known the applicant for at least two years (and who may themselves be interviewed and/or investigated as part of the certification)
  • approval of the application by the applicant's own family doctor

There are several U.K. laws that I don't think would ever fly here (i.e. "self defense" is not a good enough reason to own a gun in the U.K.) but those two items have always seemed logical and reasonable to me, and I think they would go a long way towards keeping guns away from people who shouldn't have them.

Both of those seem reasonable to me. In fact I’d say that should be the bare minimum starting point for gun ownership.

The current background check process accomplishes next to nothing at weeding out people we would all likely agree shouldn’t have firearms. Look at society in general and then consider 99.9% of those people could easily obtain an assault rifle with high capacity magazines today (the most worrisome ones prob already have multiple of them). Our laws do next to nothing at weeding out the undesirables and require no training for responsible use and ownership. It is no wonder this country has the problem it does.

I bought an AR-15 with three 30 round clips about 3 years ago. I’m actually disgusted by how easy the process was. I know I’m not a threat but it scares me to think virtually anyone/everyone could have one just as easily.

46 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

i saw this earlier today and thought about posting it...but the language might be a bit more than we are allowed to post here...although i think we get a bit more room for that here in the politics forum.    i want that guy to be the next keynote speaker at the next NRA convention.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, commando said:

i saw this earlier today and thought about posting it...but the language might be a bit more than we are allowed to post here...although i think we get a bit more room for that here in the politics forum.    i want that guy to be the next keynote speaker at the next NRA convention.

For the record mods I thought this as well so if you felt it needed to be moved no problem at all.  Sorry if anyone took offense to thankfully just a few brief moments of language.  For me personally I understand the reason for the tough talk.  It's needed.

50 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Both of those seem reasonable to me. In fact I’d say that should be the bare minimum starting point for gun ownership.

The current background check process accomplishes next to nothing at weeding out people we would all likely agree shouldn’t have firearms. Look at society in general and then consider 99.9% of those people could easily obtain an assault rifle with high capacity magazines today (the most worrisome ones prob already have multiple of them). Our laws do next to nothing at weeding out the undesirables and require no training for responsible use and ownership. It is no wonder this country has the problem it does.

I bought an AR-15 with three 30 round clips about 3 years ago. I’m actually disgusted by how easy the process was. I know I’m not a threat but it scares me to think virtually anyone/everyone could have one just as easily.

I'm not looking for an argument as I agree with pretty much everything you stated, but just curious..why did you feel the need to purchase an AR-15?  I'm of the belief that there is no legitimate purpose that can't be solved with a non-assault gun--but I'm open to hear people out on that.  Again, I'm not going to say you were wrong as I, myself a few years ago got on this whole home defense kick and purchased a Glock 9mm w/ multiple magazines including a 33 rounder which makes the gun feel unnaturally heavy and really serves no purpose.  I've put lots of holes in paper targets, but looking back, it all amounted to nothing but a waste of money as they now sit unloaded in the gun safe gathering dust.  My hunting shotgun makes a better home defense gun.  

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

For the record mods I thought this as well so if you felt it needed to be moved no problem at all.  Sorry if anyone took offense to thankfully just a few brief moments of language.  For me personally I understand the reason for the tough talk.  It's needed.

I really hope this doesn't get moved.. People need to hear this guys rant.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

I'm not looking for an argument as I agree with pretty much everything you stated, but just curious..why did you feel the need to purchase an AR-15?  I'm of the belief that there is no legitimate purpose that can't be solved with a non-assault gun--but I'm open to hear people out on that.  Again, I'm not going to say you were wrong as I, myself a few years ago got on this whole home defense kick and purchased a Glock 9mm w/ multiple magazines including a 33 rounder which makes the gun feel unnaturally heavy and really serves no purpose.  I've put lots of holes in paper targets, but looking back, it all amounted to nothing but a waste of money as they now sit unloaded in the gun safe gathering dust.  My hunting shotgun makes a better home defense gun.  

No problem.

I also got a 9mm handgun at the same time. Bought both of them from an employee of mine who has enough guns to start his own war. Anyway, he needed the money and I got a pretty good deal for buying both together. The only gun I had at the time was a 12 gauge pump that I use(d) for duck and pheasant.

I agree, the 12 gauge is the best choice for home defense. I wouldn’t pull out the AR for a situation at home. The bullets travel too far and it would take too long to get to it anyway.

The 9mm is a little more versatile and can be taken along easier. No real planned use for it except infrequently the burglar alarm at my business goes off and I have to drive over there to turn it off. The first time that happened I did not have a gun. The police were there, they had me unlock the door and then FOLLOWED ME in. I didn’t know if somebody was in there or not. I’ve taken the 9mm with me on two occasions since. I’ll gladly wait outside but I don’t want to be in that situation without a gun.

The AR is pretty much just for fun target shooting. It is pretty much a waste but if society does go bats#!t crazy….any horde of people rushing my house will likely end up in a pile outside. Extremely low chance it comes to that but…..

Edit- BTW, the purchase of those two guns did occur through the legal process. He dropped them off at a licensed gun shop, I had to fill out all the paperwork and they submitted it for the background check. I couldn’t receive the guns until the background check was complete and approved. My understanding is all that means is A) I don’t have a felony record and B) I haven’t had any domestic violence issues. A ridiculously low bar imo.

• Plus1 2