Jump to content


Gun Control


Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Florida republicans disagree with your assessment.  As do all the Republicans who support common sense red flag laws.  

I don't know the answer to this.  Can you point me to a state where Republicans have proposed "common sense red flag laws"?

 

Edit:

So, what's the difference between this and what they voted against at the federal level?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/01/politics/florida-red-flag-law/index.html

 

 

 

 

Quote

The National Rifle Association and its Florida lobbyist, Marion Hammer, fiercely opposed the 2018 gun safety legislation. The organization's influential scorecards loomed over the head of most Republican lawmakers. Hammer, a towering figure in Florida politics for decades, called GOP supporters "turncoat Republicans" and the organization urged its members to pressure lawmakers into abandoning the legislation. Galvano acknowledged that some of his colleagues were concerned the NRA would mount primary challenges against them in the coming elections.

 

Link to comment

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't know the answer to this.  Can you point me to a state where Republicans have proposed "common sense red flag laws"?

 

Edit:

 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/01/politics/florida-red-flag-law/index.html

 

So, what's the difference between this and what they voted against at the federal level?

I honestly don’t know becuae I have read the federal bill or the actual FL state bill.  It’s a good question 
 

 

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I honestly don’t know becuae I have read the federal bill or the actual FL state bill.  It’s a good question 
 

 

From the article I posted.  This seems to be the common theme I'm reading from comments from Republicans.  Which, makes me think they don't believe in any red flag laws.

 

Quote

"What you're essentially trying to do with the red flag law is enforce the law before the law has been broken. And it's a really difficult thing to do, it's difficult to assess whether somebody is a threat," said Rep. Dan Crenshaw, a Republican from Texas. "Now if they are such a threat that they're threatening somebody with a weapon already, well, then they've already broken the law. So why do you need this other law?"

 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

 

A wouldn't shed a tear for some of those guys. 

 

It's a religious or moral objection for some. But I think much of the fight against the death penalty comes from the fact that a) we've executed innocent men more often than we'd like to admit and b) the application of the death penalty has long had a racial component.

 

None other than Justice Anton Scalia declared Henry McCollum "a poster case for the death penalty" but Scalia lived just long enough to see McCollum exonerated 20 years after his imprisonment. 

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/06/01/arizona-death-row-supreme-court-shinn-innocence/

 

 

You should watch 14 Days in May.  I show it in class.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

 

A wouldn't shed a tear for some of those guys. 

 

It's a religious or moral objection for some. But I think much of the fight against the death penalty comes from the fact that a) we've executed innocent men more often than we'd like to admit and b) the application of the death penalty has long had a racial component.

 

None other than Justice Anton Scalia declared Henry McCollum "a poster case for the death penalty" but Scalia lived just long enough to see McCollum exonerated 20 years after his imprisonment. 

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/06/01/arizona-death-row-supreme-court-shinn-innocence/

 

 

Another problem, IMO, is that some on death row are executed literally decades after their conviction.  Nebraska executed a man in 2018 for two murders he committed in 1979.  Terrible crimes, no doubt, but how can it be justified to kill him almost 40 years later?  Killing an older man for crimes his teenage self committed. Just seems wrong.  

Link to comment

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I've heard that a long death penalty trial and execution can be more expensive to tax payers than decades of incarceration.

 

That never quite added up to me. 

It would be interesting to see a line item breakdown in cost between the two.   

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I've heard that a long death penalty trial and execution can be more expensive to tax payers than decades of incarceration.

 

That never quite added up to me. 

 

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

It would be interesting to see a line item breakdown in cost between the two.   

It's relatively straight forward mathematics based on what I recall of the subject; most states have studied the matter and their conclusions have generally been in line that the death penalty is often more expensive than life in prison.

 

It usually comes down to the fact that people sentenced to death often have a more robust, long and expensive appeals process that can last years or even decades. And by default, capital cases are much more expensive than non-capital cases. Additionally, someone sentenced to death will often be placed in more expensive special facilities than someone sentenced to life in prison... so they're eating up much more money.

 

Meanwhile, someone sentenced to life in prison might go through the appeals process but overall those costs are usually less and then they're also not as likely to be in the high security special facilities.

 

Some states (Texas) really push through executions, so that could be a place where life in prison is more expensive, but few states are like Texas in that regard.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

i've somehow missed the talk about public executions here.      there are 4 countries in the world that have public executions....2 because of sharia law (iran and saudi arabia) north korea because they are just crazy, and ethiopia for treason.    Afghanistan was notorious for packing their stadiums for public executions but they stopped when they lost power.   they say they may not do public executions again.  and we have peeps here calling for public executions here in the USA.   

Link to comment

31 minutes ago, commando said:

i've somehow missed the talk about public executions here.      there are 4 countries in the world that have public executions....2 because of sharia law (iran and saudi arabia) north korea because they are just crazy, and ethiopia for treason.    Afghanistan was notorious for packing their stadiums for public executions but they stopped when they lost power.   they say they may not do public executions again.  and we have peeps here calling for public executions here in the USA.   

I have thought they should be PPV here in the US.  Might as well profit off of it.

 

 

  • Oh Yeah! 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, commando said:

i've somehow missed the talk about public executions here.      there are 4 countries in the world that have public executions....2 because of sharia law (iran and saudi arabia) north korea because they are just crazy, and ethiopia for treason.    Afghanistan was notorious for packing their stadiums for public executions but they stopped when they lost power.   they say they may not do public executions again.  and we have peeps here calling for public executions here in the USA.   

 

 

To be clear, I am vehemently and entirely against the death penalty in all forms.

 

All I'm saying is that if we're going to have the death penalty, which I think is evil, then it should be in the public square to force us to reckon with the evil we desire.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

 

 

To be clear, I am vehemently and entirely against the death penalty in all forms.

 

All I'm saying is that if we're going to have the death penalty, which I think is evil, then it should be in the public square to force us to reckon with the evil we desire.

Understandable. 

Link to comment
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
  • Create New...