Gun Control

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

A kid loading up on ammo and guns is a giant red flag, just nothing any of us can do.

Students and teachers know who the weirdos are. But again, nothing we can do…

I understand that currently teacher’s hands are somewhat tied when it comes to identifying the weirdos but I don’t know of any reason a teacher/friend/parent could not or should not report it when it’s known a kid is loading up on guns/ammo. Let the cops decide what to do with that info. So I’m gonna say there is absolutely something you can and should do.

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

A kid loading up on ammo and guns is a giant red flag, just nothing any of us can do.

Students and teachers know who the weirdos are. But again, nothing we can do…

This is bugging me.  Could you explain why/how there is nothing you can do? 

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

This is bugging me.  Could you explain why/how there is nothing you can do? 

Well the “2nd Amendment says” if the items can be purchased legally, it is their right to buy them.  

As far as teachers and students, we do actually report a lot of kids through a reporting system.  But only with “concrete” reasons to do so like seeing drawings or hearing conversations.  But we can all recognize reclusive, anti-social, outcasts; but without that “concrete” reason there isn’t much we can do.  

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Well the “2nd Amendment says” if the items can be purchased legally, it is their right to buy them.  

As far as teachers and students, we do actually report a lot of kids through a reporting system.  But only with “concrete” reasons to do so like seeing drawings or hearing conversations.  But we can all recognize reclusive, anti-social, outcasts; but without that “concrete” reason there isn’t much we can do.  

So there is something you can do then, but the official school channels are somewhat constrained.

I understand the official school reporting may have some specific guidelines but the 2nd Amendment, legal or not, and big ole red flag situations don’t prevent a teacher (or anyone) from reporting a known “weirdo” who is stockpiling ammo to the police. It could be done anonymously. I sure would if it didn’t feel right.

43 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

So there is something you can do then, but the official school channels are somewhat constrained.

I understand the official school reporting may have some specific guidelines but the 2nd Amendment, legal or not, and big ole red flag situations don’t prevent a teacher (or anyone) from reporting a known “weirdo” who is stockpiling ammo to the police. It could be done anonymously. I sure would if it didn’t feel right.

Without red flag laws, what would the police do with a weirdo stockpiling ammo and guns legally?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Without red flag laws, what would the police do with a weirdo stockpiling ammo and guns legally?

Suppose it depends on the police. I know a HS kid who had the cops and his school crawl all up his a$$ simply because he posted a picture of an AR on his FB page. This was about 15 years ago. He got suspended, his parents were notified…:dunno

I know what you’re saying but if some student did do something wouldn’t you feel better knowing you had told someone rather than just thinking nobody can do anything because of what you think you know about red flag laws?  May not change the body count in some situations but it might in others. Better than not even trying is all I’m saying.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Suppose it depends on the police. I know a HS kid who had the cops and his school crawl all up his a$$ simply because he posted a picture of an AR on his FB page. This was about 15 years ago. He got suspended, his parents were notified…:dunno

I know what you’re saying but if some student did do something wouldn’t you feel better knowing you had told someone rather than just thinking nobody can do anything because of what you think you know about red flag laws?  May not change the body count in some situations but it might in others. Better than not even trying is all I’m saying.

Please know that I don’t ignore warning signs when I see them.

My initial post was based on the exhaustion and the feeling of helplessness we all feel seeing these tragedies.

But as long as the govt allows people to buy whatever they want and as long as school admin says “we contacted home, nothing else we can do besides keep an eye out” it sure does feel like “there is nothing we can do..”

• Plus1 1