Gun Control

2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

His original point was that having a gun make make someone do something they may not otherwise do.  He gave an example of a personal encounter.  Blame is really irrelevant.

Until someone gets shot for having a political opinion and the court needs to find out who is to blame.  

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

You are both allowed to have an opinion on the matter you telling someone FU, is elevating the situation to confrontational levels. And the only reason why you did it is because you had a gun, which tell me right there that you knew there could be trouble but if it did arise you was prepared to handle it with your gun and not your fist like a man. You started a situation that could have ended up with you shooting someone. Do you not realize that?    

I wouldn’t say I “started” the situation. Did you miss the part about the words he was displaying? I don’t see any difference between the words on his flag or the words and finger I displayed to him. And yes, I realize it was not wise and I should not have stooped to his level. Did you even read my initial couple posts on this subject?

Explain to me why he should not expect any push back for displaying his opinion.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

Until someone gets shot for having a political opinion and the court needs to find out who is to blame.  

I can guarantee if it came to that, he would’ve been the responsible party to blame. Words and flag sayings aren’t enough for determining legal fault. He would’ve had to physically attack me or shoot at me before I would’ve shot him and that sir would be self defense. Anything else I can clear up for you today?

8 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

Irrelevant in this conversation.  Whether or not how @JJ Husker responded to "bumper sticker guy" was a good idea, is a different conversation.  This was about carrying a gun, possibly providing a security blanket when it comes to dealing with a situation, so to speak.  It never was about legality of a hypothetical shooting.  It seems you're trying to make it about something other that what it was intended.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

No the manly thing to do is run your mouth but only when you have a gun. 

You’re confusing manly with smart.

You still haven’t answered why Mr Knuckledragger with the FU flag shouldn’t expect any push back for his expressed opinions. You sure have a problem with me telling him FU though. I can only imagine why that might be :lol:

• Plus1 2
32 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

He didn't respond to anything, He imitated the conversation. 

He most certainly did respond.  He told the guy to f#&% off after the guy's bumper sticker told him (JJhusker) to f#&% off.  Justified? Hell yeah.  Good decision? Probably not, but debatable.  But none of that was the original point.  More people carrying guns may lead to more road rage and other confrontational shootings.  To some, guns are like a hammer and every problem they encounter with others become nails.  

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

He most certainly did respond.  He told the guy to f#&% off after the guy's bumper sticker told him (JJhusker) to f#&% off.  Justified? Hell yeah.  Good decision? Probably not, but debatable.  But none of that was the original point.  More people carrying guns may lead to more road rage and other confrontational shootings.  To some, guns are like a hammer and every problem they encounter with others become nails.  

It seems there’s always at least one person who completely misses the point and the purpose. We encountered that person today.

• Plus1 1

So if I am driving down the road and I have a Nebraska 95 greatest team ever bumper sticker, and some guy from Alabama doesn't like it he can the drive up to me creaming and flipping me off just because he does not agree with my bumper sticker?  Or where is the line in the sand for justifying your behavior against someone who disagrees with you?  Why do you feel you get to act that way? and what if he felt threatened and then shot you. What would your opinion be then?

Just because you don't agree with someone does not get you the right to start an altercation with them especially when you had a gun. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, RichardHangslow said:

So if I am driving down the road and I have a Nebraska 95 greatest team ever bumper sticker, and some guy from Alabama doesn't like it he can the drive up to me creaming and flipping me off just because he does not agree with my bumper sticker?  Or where is the line in the sand for justifying your behavior against someone who disagrees with you?  Why do you feel you get to act that way? and what if he felt threatened and then shot you. What would your opinion be then?

Just because you don't agree with someone does not get you the right to start an altercation with them especially when you had a gun. 

for your comparison...you would need to have a f#&% Alabama sign on your truck

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

You are struggling with this more than any person should. Your analogy isn’t remotely comparable. His flag said FU and I said FU. Your bumper sticker shows support for a team and the Bama guy responds out of line with it. And I didn’t start an altercation. Are you hallucinating?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, commando said:

for your comparison...you would need to have a f#&% Alabama sign on your truck

This is the correct anology..

I do think there is a free speech element on the flag, but also on JJs response. I wouldn't,  but others would.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

This is the correct anology..

I do think there is a free speech element on the flag, but also on JJs response. I wouldn't,  but others would.

Absolutely there is a free speech element. He exercised his and I did mine.

Richard seems to be hung up on the fact that I had a gun. Thing is, we/I didn’t know if the other guy had one or not or if he would’ve escalated the situation beyond a couple mutual FUs. I never claimed what I did was wise. But Richard seems to think I acted cowardly for some reason and also that I was the instigator. Some people’s kids….

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Absolutely there is a free speech element. He exercised his and I did mine.

Richard seems to be hung up on the fact that I had a gun. Thing is, we/I didn’t know if the other guy had one or not or if he would’ve escalated the situation beyond a couple mutual FUs. I never claimed what I did was wise. But Richard seems to think I acted cowardly for some reason and also that I was the instigator. Some people’s kids….

Yep, I got that vibe from you. I think he was trying to say that you only did it because you were packing. I assumed you would have flipped the bird regardless.

8 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Yep, I got that vibe from you. I think he was trying to say that you only did it because you were packing. I assumed you would have flipped the bird regardless.

In today’s times I’m not ashamed to admit that I probably would not have responded if I didn’t have my handgun in the truck. That was the whole point of putting it in this thread. It’s not that it made me brave per se but it did help me overcome the concern that the other guy maybe had a gun. Point being there’s lots of guns in circulation so the likelihood of things like this escalating to unhealthy places is also raised.

• Plus1 2