More tragedy in Orlando

The real question is...why did they let him that close to the water?

Maybe they didn't expect to be attacked by an alligator at a Disney resort. :dunno:

Just like the dog and pony show of the bag check at park entrances, disney wants to lull you into a false sense of security so you stay with them and give them money.

Granted, American alligators are ususlly wary of humans, and I think attacks are actually relatively rare considering the number of gators and the close proximity alligators and humans are sometimes unknowingly often in.

However, I think The Rat dropped the ball on this one. The signs at the lagoon just say 'no swimming'. ANY body of water in south florida could potentially have a gator in it, and disney should have signs saying so, or at least have 'no wading' signs on a man-made white sandy beach named 'beachcomber beach' and is strewn with lounge chairs, particularly for those not familiar with the wildlife of the area. Also, They definitely should have had warning signs about an aggressive alligator in the area after a similar incident happened in the same area just a few weeks earlier.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/terrified-brit-family-chased-alligator-8197003

It's not much consolation after losing your child, but I hope the family gets a huge settlement from The Rat.

Maybe they didn't expect to be attacked by an alligator at a Disney resort. :dunno:

it was a lagoon outside the hotel correct? Doesn't common sense tell you it's not a good idea?

it was a lagoon outside the hotel correct? Doesn't common sense tell you it's not a good idea?
Its a man-made lagoon, with beautiful white sandy beaches covered in lounge chairs. It's called beachcomber beach, of all things, and is featured predominately in their advertisements of happy families walking barefoot along the waters edges smiling and holding hands.

It is not unreasonable to think that someone not familiar with the geography and local wildlife might assume that Disney's most expensive hotel is "safe". It is incorrect to assume disney can control everything, but some people fall into that mouse trap thinking they can. They might assume the 'no swimming' sign was in reference to the brain-eating amoeba in warm bodies of water, where swimming is dangerous, but wading is perfectly fine. There were no 'no wading' signs. And there certainly weren't any 'beware of alligators' signs, because that would be aesthetically and emotionally unpleasant and would diminish the guests 'magical' experience.

• Fire 3

My family spent many wonderful times in the various Disney and other theme parks, etc in Florida. We never saw nor experienced a gator in one of the many ponds, lakes, etc. that we were near on any of the trips. I would suggest that although we were very aware of the many dangerous reptiles (gators, snakes, etc) and other creatures that populate Florida, we would likely have expected the "park waters' and areas of something like 'Beachcombers Beach" to be gator free and controlled for safety, etc. Disney advertisements showing people walking the beach would be more than enough suggestion of safe waters for children to walk along. Not sure if the little boy was actually in the water or just waling along it or playing beside it? I can't believe Disney would not be responsible and pay a big liability claim promptly.

Besides the normal predators wandering in Florida,there are also the invasive species starting to take control.Monitor lizards and Burmese pythons to name a couple.They can be found almost anywhere,and are capable of serious injury or death.(not where I would choose for a relaxing vacation)

Literally within the last couple weeks I read an article about an invasive man-eating gator problem they're dealing with down there.

It was one of the first things that popped into my head when I heard the tragic news.