DT Calvin Avery [Illinois - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

69 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Avery commit?

• Nebraska
    • Baylor
    • Oklahoma State
    • Texas
    • Oklahoma
    • Texas A&M
    • Colorado
    • Ohio State
    • TCU

This poll is closed to new votes

He says we're still recruiting him. :dunno

From Landof10

“Coach Parrella and Damion (Daniels) keep bothering me and won’t leave me alone,” Avery joked. “(Damion) basically says, ‘I know you’re going to miss playing next to me,’ and stuff like that. He’s just constantly telling me how big we could be on the same college team.”

From Landof10

Coach Parrella and Damion (Daniels) keep bothering me and wont leave me alone, Avery joked. (Damion) basically says, I know youre going to miss playing next to me, and stuff like that. Hes just constantly telling me how big we could be on the same college team.

I'm sure we are actively recruiting him and if a spot opens up he'd be allowed to commit. But right now we are full on the interior, according to the experts.

Masry better really impress in STL this weekend or we are going to have people wanting his scholarship going to Avery.. Myself probably included.. Still lots of time until signing day

Also, if Masry doesn't make grades, like people are saying he won't, and this guy wanted to commit and we told him no...

You recruit student athletes. You don't recruit athletes.

Making the grades for UNL isn't that hard. If he can't commit to getting the grades for UNL he obviously doesn't want to come here THAT bad.

From Landof10

Coach Parrella and Damion (Daniels) keep bothering me and wont leave me alone, Avery joked. (Damion) basically says, I know youre going to miss playing next to me, and stuff like that. Hes just constantly telling me how big we could be on the same college team.

I'm sure we are actively recruiting him and if a spot opens up he'd be allowed to commit. But right now we are full on the interior, according to the experts.

This is the point of contention ... "If a spot opens up". That's just crazy in my view. I would never turn away the #17 DT recruit on the board with the shape we are in, the failed effort as the position in the past and the location of the recruit. I would have gotten him on board a month ago and then use him as well as a stepping stone to other recruits in Texas. #ThinkPipeline It would also be my opinion that we are not in any shape to recruit "project" players or students who have grade issues when you got the #17 recruit on the board with no grade issues. #MistakesLikeCouldEarnYouAnExit

From Landof10

This is the point of contention ... "If a spot opens up". That's just crazy in my view. I would never turn away the #17 DT recruit on the board with the shape we are in, the failed effort as the position in the past and the location of the recruit. I would have gotten him on board a month ago and then use him as well as a stepping stone to other recruits in Texas. #ThinkPipeline It would also be my opinion that we are not in any shape to recruit "project" players or students who have grade issues when you got the #17 recruit on the board with no grade issues. #MistakesLikeCouldEarnYouAnExit

Theoretically, yes. But you start factoring in the class numbers and current roster numbers and it gets harder.

If only it was that easy.

Trust me, I was not a fan of passing on Avery. But I understand what the coaches are working with. I'm disappointed still, but understand.

^^^ Agree ... and my statement is also "factoring in the class numbers and current roster numbers" ... which is why I pass on the #61 recruit with grade issues and take the sure bet.

Ok then you aren't factoring in the negative effect that would have recruiting the state of Nebraska going forward. A relationship Bo left on very thin ice and is being slowly and steadily repaired. Pulling a scholly from a kid 40 min away who plays for one of the most respected coaches in the state would be disastrous for that relationship.

Maybe they shouldn't of offered as quickly as they did, although UCLA/Iowa forced them to, but yanking the scholly would be disaster for in-state recruiting going forward.

^^^ Agree ... and my statement is also "factoring in the class numbers and current roster numbers" ... which is why I pass on the #61 recruit with grade issues and take the sure bet.

That statement is only based on stars and doesn't factor in the actual coach evaluation by people who actually do this for a living. Maybe our coaches actually like Masry better at least just as good?

• 1 month later...
  • Mavric changed the title to DT Calvin Avery [Illinois - Signed LOI]