Brexit

We outsoduce because foreign competitors can do equal or better work cheaper. I'd love to see an example of a company outsourcing to somewhere that can't perform as well, except maybe call center stuff, because it's exceedingly rare. Your conflating all sorts of claims so I can only go off the logical conclusion of each together.

I look forward to you citing examples from the past 30 years when you have access to the internet again...

We outsoduce because foreign competitors can do equal or better work cheaper. I'd love to see an example of a company outsourcing to somewhere that can't perform as well, except maybe call center stuff, because it's exceedingly rare. Your conflating all sorts of claims so I can only go off the logical conclusion of each together.

I look forward to you citing examples from the past 30 years when you have access to the internet again...

So you've never in your life seen evidence of Chinese products being inferior? You truly believe we have products made in foreign countries mostly becauae they're better there? Not because they're cheaper? You've never bought a piece of Chinese furniture that lasted a much shorter period of time than its American counterpart? This is a completely new phenomenon to you? LOL.

I read a bunch of data on child labor last night. It's not hard to find. I just didn't have time to make a cogent post about it since I'm on vacation, especially for someone who lets facts just roll off their back like water on a duck.

Bullspit! We outsource because they are made cheaper. Watch the TV show Sharks, they make it very clear why they want to outsource to foreign companies.

not sure who you think you are fooling!

The liberals on this board are very funny! I won't defend Trump or what he is talking about, but the extreme positions being assigned to Trump is comical!

That Nationalism that everyone is afraid of is what made this country what it was. Globalization is what is making America a has been.

Judge Trump simply by the man's own words. It's hilarious.

I don't know about "everyone" but please don't assume what kind of nationalism I'm afraid of. I'm afraid of the stupid, short-sighted, politically motivated nationalism. The world is full of cautionary tales, and we had one in Britain merely a week ago.

Again, I'm waiting for a Trump supporter -- or anyone else -- to give me the rough year or era when America was Great, so we could review the specifics and aim to go back there.

(careful, it's a trap)

• Fire 1

The quality is "good enough" for us to buy it, and "cheap enough" for them to make it overseas.

To Moiraine regarding cheap furniture. If you were to compare IKEA furniture made by a foriegn country or the U.S. the foreign would more than likely be cheaper. Both would be crap, but one would be cheaper; I think that's the point CM is trying to make. He's not saying any country is better, but at the same time no country is worse. It comes down to expenses, and currently it is cheaper to make a lot of things in foreign countries. However, as those companies face higher costs (shipping, wages, etc) manufacturing will return to the USA if it is more cost effective.

edit: I got it all figured out over a couple of beers at the grill. Make oil so damn expensive companies won't be able to ship across the ocean. Fossil fuel companies will make bank, and won't fight so hard against renewable energy at home. Everyone is happy!!! :wasted

Bullspit! We outsource because they are made cheaper. Watch the TV show Sharks, they make it very clear why they want to outsource to foreign companies.

not sure who you think you are fooling!

Cheaper is a factor but quality is on par or better. Do you think Apple turns down a superior US product for a cheaper Chinese one? Absolutely not. Competion in the market is too fierce.

What's sad is we outsource to China and India instead of inner cities and rural areas. Thanks very much minimum wage.

84, your post is rife with factually wrong information, but let's hone in on one that may be provable or disprovable: over all cost of living has significantly exceeded wage growth.

What's your evidence?

You seem to be mixing non-inflation numbers with inflation adjusted numbers. Generally, consumer products are incredibly cheaper and more widely available today than in the history of the world.

I am sorry CM but your problem in many posts is you don't have any facts correct. You think quite logically most of the time but don't get the critical facts correct. Stop listening to any liberal 'news' sources as they make up facts to support their positions out of thin air and ignore the truth most of the time. You asked for a fact. I pointed out a huge one on 'inflation' vs. wages in my long post. Wages have been half the increase in the price of cars. I also didn't mention that in many ways the cars that we pay such highly inflated prices for today are not as much 'car' as the ones back in the day. They are now filled with 'electronics' and computers and so on but frankly the gas mileage has certainly not increased significantly considering the decline in size and strength and relative safety. We pay more, after inflation adjustments, today for less car in many ways. They have lots of fancy features and 'comforts' and luxury accessories (arguably unnecessary and wasteful in environmental terms in my view) but gas mileage has not even doubled with all the excess crap. A new car today is hardly affordable to most unskilled workers and many are now driving cars that are 10 or 15 years old. Those were literally a few hundred dollars in the 1960s and 1970s and even into the 1980s. Today, thousands. People used to pay for a car with cash or financing upto 36 or 48 months (new) and 18 or 24 for used.

Housing is incredibly expensive and but for the government's incredibly stupid manipulation of interest rates to near zero with long term mortgages at 4% or so, people could not afford to buy a home. Interest rates cannot economically remain at this artificially low levels indefinitely. Once they return to a more historically normal level, we will see a housing collapse (bubble burst) of staggering proportions, worse than 2008 certainly. None of the 'recovery' of housing prices since then has been real and is nearly all the direct consequence of government driving down mortgage rates. An 7.5% to 9% mortgage rate area will lower the purchase price of the typical home by about 40% or more.

:facepalm: Speaking of facts...

Are cars today more expensive? Nope...

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

Are cars today less safe? Nope...

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

• Fire 2

The liberals on this board are very funny! I won't defend Trump or what he is talking about, but the extreme positions being assigned to Trump is comical!

That Nationalism that everyone is afraid of is what made this country what it was. Globalization is what is making America a has been.

I don't know about "everyone" but please don't assume what kind of nationalism I'm afraid of. I'm afraid of the stupid, short-sighted, politically motivated nationalism. The world is full of cautionary tales, and we had one in Britain merely a week ago.

Again, I'm waiting for a Trump supporter -- or anyone else -- to give me the rough year or era when America was Great, so we could review the specifics and aim to go back there.

(careful, it's a trap)

lol, you won't trap anyone!

There have always been social issues throughout history, but that doesn't change the enormous economic prosperity brought on by buying America first. Driving around smaller towns (went to my old hometown) you can see the affects of globalization.

(careful, it's a trap)

If you're going to damn every argument to hyperbole and straw man arguments, there will never be any ability to have quality discussions about Trump.

Once again, the main issue isn't necessarily buying foreign products. Like many of you are saying, yes, it's beneficial sometimes to get cheaper products from other countries.

The problem that Trump continues to mention is that so many of our major companies are leaving and setting up factories in other countries and face no penalty in doing so. Then people complain that there aren't enough good jobs. Something has to be done to keep these companies from fleeing to other countries.

Or is that not an issue either?...

Once again, the main issue isn't necessarily buying foreign products. Like many of you are saying, yes, it's beneficial sometimes to get cheaper products from other countries.

The problem that Trump continues to mention is that so many of our major companies are leaving and setting up factories in other countries and face no penalty in doing so. Then people complain that there aren't enough good jobs. Something has to be done to keep these companies from fleeing to other countries.

How has Trump proposed to fix this?

If you want cheap goods, how will bringing rhe jobs back to US shores help that? It's a catch 22. Yes the low paying jobs woukd be nice for some to have, over no job at all... but cheap goods...

(careful, it's a trap)

If you're going to damn every argument to hyperbole and straw man arguments, there will never be any ability to have quality discussions about Trump.

I'm doing the exact opposite.

No hyperbole. No straw men.

If we truly want to make America Great Again, let's cite the specifics of what made us great, how we lost it and how to get it back.

i.e. let's take the hyperbole and straw men away from Trump and take an honest look at what he's got.

(watch out, it's still a trap!)

It's a huge issue. I'd love to keep more jobs and taxes in America, but to address this would require federal government regulation and anti-free market policies of the highest order, as long as you're down with that precedent.

U.S. employers also complain that Americans simply aren't willing to take the kind of jobs we ship overseas, which is why they rely on immigrants to fill the positions.

Right now we're the victims of our own success and it will require some major shifts in cultural attitude -- moreso perhaps than public policy -- to turn things around.

(careful, it's a trap)

lol, you won't trap anyone!

There have always been social issues throughout history, but that doesn't change the enormous economic prosperity brought on by buying America first. Driving around smaller towns (went to my old hometown) you can see the affects of globalization.

Small towns didn't fail because of globalization, unless you consider a kid's choice to move to a major US urban center, and away from small towns and farms, "globalization."