The Obama Legacy

I feel based on the comments he made to the wife and how much play it's getting today is going to be a cluster(*&k not seen since he took on Mr. Khan and his family.  It's not going to be pretty.  And I can't believe Kelly didn't punch him in the face for bringing up his son, he's been very specific about not talking about that or wanting others to.

• Plus1 1

16 hours ago, dudeguyy said:

Meanwhile, if you want a comparison, this is what the moron told the pregnant widow of one of the soldiers killed in Niger. She's got a 2 year old and a 6 year old at home with another on the way and this is what she gets from the C-I-C? Disgusting.

This is what happens when you let a socially stunted jerk of a billionaire who doesn't understand empathy try to comfort people.

The man is a complete idiot, no doubt, but I think this is being blown a little out of proportion. It's not that hard to read the Trump speak and understand what he meant. He's just so uneloquent that he sounds like a complete ass. He said he knew what he was signing up for (Johnson knew the risks), but it still hurts (the family knew this day could come, but that doesn't make it any less painful or easier). This is the media getting a quote, chopping it up, and running with it for viewership.

• 1 year later...

Remember all those dire predictions about how Obama wouldn't be remembered well by history?

Funny story.

Americans rank Barack Obama as best president of their lifetimes: Poll

A new Pew Research Center poll says more Americans rank former President Barack Obama higher than any other when asked which president has done the best job in their lifetimes.

Obama was named the best or second best president by 44 percent of Americans in the survey that came out Wednesday. Thirty-one percent ranked him as the best president in their lifetimes.

President Donald Trump comes in fourth after President Bill Clinton and President Ronald Reagan, with 19 percent of Americans ranking him as the best or second best in their lifetimes.

While 19 percent might seem low, 20 percent of Americans ranked Obama as the best or second best president in 2011, at a similar point in his first term and the last time Pew conducted this poll.

Pew found that rankings changed by generation. More than 60 percent of millennials view Obama as the best or second best president of their lifetime and 46 percent name him as the best.

Older Americans, baby boomers and the "silent generation," chose Reagan as the top president during their lives. Forty-two percent of 54 to 72-year-olds and 38 percent of 73 to 90-year-olds rank Reagan as the best or second best.

On 12/25/2018 at 6:24 AM, knapplc said:

Remember all those dire predictions about how Obama wouldn't be remembered well by history?

Funny story.

Isn't the fact that generations picked different "best" Presidents in their lifetime the least shocking stat of all time? Millenials literally can't choose Reagan as the older generations did.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

We're not really gonna know until 50 years from now, but I'm willing to bet Obama will be thought of as one of the best, even if only for the mere fact he was sandwiched between Bush and Trump.

I doubt it. If we have another great President, then everyone after Reagan and until the next great one will simply be forgotten or an afterthought - like the ones between Teddy and Franklin Roosevelt.

23 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I doubt it. If we have another great President, then everyone after Reagan and until the next great one will simply be forgotten or an afterthought - like the ones between Teddy and Franklin Roosevelt.

Maybe 100 years later.

I don't think Trump will be forgotten that soon. We still hear about Carter being awful and it's 38 years later.

• Plus1 1
On 12/25/2018 at 7:24 AM, knapplc said:

Funny story.

I think this statement (copied below) should have a bearing on how one interprets the poll.   How many presidents 'affected' millennials as adults - when it mattered and they understood all of the issues.  The older we are - the more opportunity we've had to weight the consequences of a president's actions and can make more of a historical judgement.  We also base it on the conditions (domestic, foreign, economic) at the time the president took over.   Clinton took over at the easiest of times.  Bush's term started relatively in a easy time but then 911 occurred.   Obama and Reagan took over during the worse economic times and both inherited heated foreign issues - Obama a hot war in Iraq/Afgan, Reagan - a 'hot' nuclear cold war wt the Soviets and other Soviet expansion issues around the world .   Long and short:  I would vote Reagan (no surprise of course) but I would vote Obama as # 2 based on what he inherited. (The Ying and Yang on my voting)  GHWB - I think gets overlooked too much since he was only a 4 year president. But he accomplished much in his four years and I may be tempted to place him at #2 if he had served 8 years.  GWB mishandled the Irag war. If he had stuck to just the Afgan war - I think he might have been measured differently.  Of course the bust of 2007-8 - great recession - had many causes - some within his responsibility and some outside (housing bubble). So he is judged accordingly.  Clinton had it relatively easy and blew it with his character flaws.  Trump is turning what should have been easy into a mess - just because of his stubborn, stupid decisions.  He's come in as a wrecking ball - bull in the china shop - when he could have come in as a lamb and maintained things with some adjustments and we'd be purring along.  Big blown opportunity.

Pew found that rankings changed by generation. More than 60 percent of millennials view Obama as the best or second best president of their lifetime and 46 percent name him as the best.

Older Americans, baby boomers and the "silent generation," chose Reagan as the top president during their lives. Forty-two percent of 54 to 72-year-olds and 38 percent of 73 to 90-year-olds rank Reagan as the best or second best.

Everyone's getting hung up on the headline, which, I grant you, is misleading because of the heavy weighting of the lesser-experienced Millennial generation. 

But look at the breakdown by age.  Obama is #2 behind Reagan in every age group under 72 years old - everyone who can't remember Eisenhower as president.

AQSMGmA.png

Obama doesn't have to lead every age group for the point of my post to be true. He doesn't even have to be 2nd (which he almost exclusively is).

The predictions were that history would not remember Obama fondly.

That's simply not the case so far.  And the way things are going, he may go down as the last Good President. 

• Thanks 1

Remember when Obama was totally cool with the government shutdown because of all the Republicans not getting paid?

Oh right, that never happened.

His legacy is aging like a fine wine compared to this jamoke. In almost every situation Obama handled with poise and measured composure, Trump embarrasses and denigrates the office. History will not judge these men similarly. I can only hope we as a people turn this page in a couple years and the latter goes down as the fraudulent conman he actually is.

• Plus1 8
2 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Remember when Obama was totally cool with the government shutdown because of all the Republicans not getting paid?

Oh right, that never happened.

His legacy is aging like a fine wine compared to this jamoke. In almost every situation Obama handled with poise and measured composure, Trump embarrasses and denigrates the office. History will not judge these men similarly. I can only hope we as a people turn this page in a couple years and the latter goes down as the fraudulent conman he actually is.

I personally love that this got an eyeroll.  I'm guessing because they know you're right and can't say anything to refute it

• Plus1 7