The Obama Legacy

Obama was what we needed after the disaster Bush created. He should go down favorably in history. Plenty of blind individuals will hate him simply because of his party affiliation and their own xenophobia but he has done well to bring us back from where we were in 08 and give hope for the future.

Ok yeah sort of, I can understand that idea. But for 8 years? No thank you.

Bnil, you may well be on your own when you say Bush has seen his reputation catch an updraft since 2008. He seems like a nice, genuine guy I'd have a beer with, but I still think he was a terrible president.

To be fair to Obama, economics are a very divergent discipline. In fact, as compared to areas like chemistry or physics, where we have actual fleshed-out consensus theories to govern teaching and practice, economics offers a robust selection of different theories to play with. There's definitely more than one way to skin a cat. Everyone has their own idea about what is best, so it's easy to get caught up in the discussion and feel assured *you* have the right path.

I did read an interesting op-ed in the WSJ decrying the increased difficulty and subsequent decrease in small business loans by the government as of late. That is a shame. I'd think we could cut some bureaucracy there (described as a big part of the issue) for the sake of the economy.

Obstructionism is huge. This is the most worrying thing to me in this whole discussion. I lean left on most things, so of course I'm bitter at the insane degree to which the GOP Congress fought Obama. Look at Garland, right now. Ridiculous.

But the precedent is the worst part. I don't see this changing under new leadership. Clinton is openly hostile to the Republicans unsurprisingly. Democrats and some Republicans would effectively neuter Trump, but they'll be bitter about it all along the way.

If this becomes normalized, we have a problem. I don't want sticking to the other side at any cost to become the new normal.

• Fire 1

He's done a helluva job considering he's had to deal with a extremely uncooperative Republican congress his entire time in office. He staved off what was an almost certain economic depression (thanks Bush) and rebounded our economy as well as stimulated job growth among other things.

Bush nearly ran America into the ground. Obama has done a whale of a job making sure that didn't happen despite an uncooperative congress and has served the United States well despite Republican supporters continually saying just the opposite. No surprise there though.

First off, the Dems controlled both houses of Congress his first two years in office, so suggesting all of his failures is the fault of Congress is like reading DNC talking points.

As for Bush running the country into the ground, another DNC talking point that was reused over and over. Bush inherited a far worse mess from Clinton...all presidents inherit tough situations. Does that mean Clinton ran the country into the ground?

• Fire 1

He's done a helluva job considering he's had to deal with a extremely uncooperative Republican congress his entire time in office. He staved off what was an almost certain economic depression (thanks Bush) and rebounded our economy as well as stimulated job growth among other things.

Bush nearly ran America into the ground. Obama has done a whale of a job making sure that didn't happen despite an uncooperative congress and has served the United States well despite Republican supporters continually saying just the opposite. No surprise there though.

First off, the Dems controlled both houses of Congress his first two years in office, so suggesting all of his failures is the fault of Congress is like reading DNC talking points.

As for Bush running the country into the ground, another DNC talking point that was reused over and over. Bush inherited a far worse mess from Clinton...all presidents inherit tough situations. Does that mean Clinton ran the country into the ground?

LOL

LOL

Well the economy was in a recession in his first quarter in office, the job market was the worst in years for 2001 college grads, we had the Enron scandal and them 9/11 when the markets tanked and economy was in greater trouble. But yeah...lol

• Fire 1

LOL

Well the economy was in a recession in his first quarter in office, the job market was the worst in years for 2001 college grads, we had the Enron scandal and them 9/11 when the markets tanked and economy was in greater trouble. But yeah...lol

Bril.....

You are really stretching here.

The era from Reagan through Clinton was a very good economic time as a whole for the country. That was still in tact when Bush took over.

What caused the job market issues you talk about is 9/11. 9/11 changed everything.

LOL

Bril.....

You are really stretching here.

The era from Reagan through Clinton was a very good economic time as a whole for the country. That was still in tact when Bush took over.

What caused the job market issues you talk about is 9/11. 9/11 changed everything.

I am on phone but have posted links before. Economy was in recession in March, 2001, well before 9/11. I graduated in 2000 which was a great job market and had several friends with great resumes who graduated in May 2001 and they could not find anything. It was bad prior to 9/11 and then became catastrophic after 9/11. I agree that most of Clintons term the economy did well.

• Fire 1

Economy was in recession in March, 2001, well before 9/11. I graduated in 2000 which was a great job market and had several friends with great resumes who graduated in May 2001 and they could not find anything. It was bad prior to 9/11 and then became catastrophic after 9/11. I agree that most of Clintons term the economy did well.

It has been debated whether it is considered a "recession" and when it started. It certainly wasn't as bad as the Great Recession that Bush left in Obama's lap.

• Fire 2

Interesting perspective as to how our economy is doing compared to the rest of the world.

The US economy has been doing poorly. Europe and Japan have done much worse.

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-30%20at%2010.20.

yeah but it's the worst economic recovery in modern history for the United States!!!

Nevermind that 'modern' isn't really defined here. Also nevermind the pretty important disclaimer that it was, in fact, a recovery, which already puts him on the positive side of even, since it wasn't like, you know, a collapse.

• Fire 4

Wow...

Interesting perspective as to how our economy is doing compared to the rest of the world.

The US economy has been doing poorly. Europe and Japan have done much worse.

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-30%20at%2010.20.

yeah but it's the worst economic recovery in modern history for the United States!!!

Nevermind that 'modern' isn't really defined here. Also nevermind the pretty important disclaimer that it was, in fact, a recovery, which already puts him on the positive side of even, since it wasn't like, you know, a collapse.

I know....

Here's what I took from that.

Our economy does not happen in a vacuum. We are tied to the rest of the world economy. So.....wouldn't it stand to reason that if we are actually "recovering" while the rest of the world is struggling, then we are actually doing pretty decent?

Well, I don't think GWB or Obama were/are very good presidents for different reason's.

As far as the economy goes I have always felt the President of the United States gets far too much praise or fault depending on how it is going. So I am not going to discuss that.

When I see Barack Obama as the president I see a man that likes being the president, the "Cult of the Presidency" for lack of a better term, but I don't think he likes doing the day to day work of being the president. I don't think he likes dealing with problems that he is suppose to deal with. I don't think he likes the nuts and bolts of being the president. Someone like Bill Clinton and RR I think really liked this stuff or at the very least was better at dealing with it.

I don't think he projects as a strong leader around the world. I am sure that a lot will disagree with this, but it is my opinion.

I think he is thin skinned and doesn't understand why congress just doesn't do what I want them to do. No I don't think congress is playing nice with him, but I also don't think he is willing to compromise what he wants. He is part of the reason why our government is not working right now he has to get some of the blame it isn't just a republican congress. Again, working to find a solution to problems is what is suppose to be going on in Washington it is not about getting what you exactly want all the time. Clinton would compromise, RR would compromise, Obama doesn't want to do it.

GWB was a poor president because I don't think he was up to the task. I don't think he really wanted to be president. I think it was thrust opon him to run. I think 9/11 was overwelming to him. I think he got a lot of bad advise on things and made some very bad decisions regarding the Middle East. Though I don't think Obama has done much better trying to fix it. I think congresses not wanting to work with the President started during his time as president. I think he was too conservative and has some really poor advisors.