A man you can bait with a Tweet

On 1/1/2019 at 1:21 PM, Clifford Franklin said:

Hard to believe this guy is president.

one day we will wake up from our collective nightmare and ask what just happened and how did we get here -- hopefully we'll fix it so it won't occur again

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/09/trump-calls-meeting-with-chuck-schumer-and-nancy-pelosi-a-total-waste-of-time-after-he-storms-out.html

So presidential :blink:  Kind of hard to solve problems when one party is a baby and cannot sit down  to the table.  Where are these great 'Art of the Deal' negotiation skills he so proudly declares that he has.  It hasn't worked to well wt getting Mexico to pay for the boarder wall, NK to get rid of nukes, China ending tariffs, resolving the Paris environmental agreement,  and he is off to a swimmingly good start with the leaders of the opposition party.   I'm no fan of  Schumer but note his statement in bold below the Trump tweet.  I think we will see a concerted  effort by the Dems to point out Trump's unfitness for the office.  Trying to get the public on their side on any impeachment discussion and maybe even a Article 4 discussion (Trump is emotionally deranged and unfit for the office.)

President Donald Trump on Wednesday stormed out of a meeting with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer over an ongoing partial government shutdown, calling it "a total waste of time."

The breakdown in already fraught negotiations over border wall funding, which have kept nine federal agencies shut down for 19 days and counting, appeared to heighten the possibility that Trump might declare a national emergency.

"I asked what is going to happen in 30 days if I quickly open things up, are you going to approve Border Security which includes a Wall or Steel Barrier? Nancy said, NO," Trump explained in a tweet as Pelosi and Schumer described the walk-out to reporters.

"I said bye-bye, nothing else works!" Trump added.

Trump meeting tweet.1547067055714.PNG

Schumer, speaking to reporters on Capitol Hill, said, "again, we saw a temper tantrum." Trump's behavior was "unbecoming of a presidency," Schumer added.

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/09/trump-calls-meeting-with-chuck-schumer-and-nancy-pelosi-a-total-waste-of-time-after-he-storms-out.html

So presidential :blink:  Kind of hard to solve problems when one party is a baby and cannot sit down  to the table.  Where are these great 'Art of the Deal' negotiation skills he so proudly declares that he has.  It hasn't worked to well wt getting Mexico to pay for the boarder wall, NK to get rid of nukes, China ending tariffs, resolving the Paris environmental agreement,  and he is off to a swimmingly good start with the leaders of the opposition party.   I'm no fan of  Schumer but note his statement in bold below the Trump tweet.  I think we will see a concerted  effort by the Dems to point out Trump's unfitness for the office.  Trying to get the public on their side on any impeachment discussion and maybe even a Article 4 discussion (Trump is emotionally deranged and unfit for the office.)

Trump meeting tweet.1547067055714.PNG

Schumer, speaking to reporters on Capitol Hill, said, "again, we saw a temper tantrum." Trump's behavior was "unbecoming of a presidency," Schumer added.

I wonder if Pelosi is trying to talk to the Republicans in the House to get them to override the veto or if she is content thinking they will take the blame with Trump.

13 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I wonder if Pelosi is trying to talk to the Republicans in the House to get them to override the veto or if she is content thinking they will take the blame with Trump.

If the kitchen gets hot enough,  and the public opinion starts to weigh heavily against Trump, I don't think it will take a lot of convincing by San Fran Nan to get the Reps to see things her way.  The same is true in the Senate - they will need enough votes to override Trump's veto and there may be enough pragmatists to do just that - esp those up for election in 2020 and not wanting to be blamed for the damaged caused by a continued shutdown  Trump, in his arrogance, may think he has 2020 sewed up, house & senate repubs - not so much esp after the results of 2018. . 

17 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

If the kitchen gets hot enough,  and the public opinion starts to weigh heavily against Trump, I don't think it will take a lot of convincing by San Fran Nan to get the Reps to see things her way.  The same is true in the Senate - they will need enough votes to override Trump's veto and there may be enough pragmatists to do just that - esp those up for election in 2020 and not wanting to be blamed for the damaged caused by a continued shutdown  Trump, in his arrogance, may think he has 2020 sewed up, house & senate repubs - not so much esp after the results of 2018. . 

The opportunity the Dems have here to win over some the middle and some on the right is, explain exactly what border security you ARE willing to fund.  I believe the vast majority of Americans believe we need border security.  The mantra from Trump that Dems want open borders is poppy c$%k.  We all want border security.  Now, the Dems need to show what type of security they want and then we can decide if it's enough.  They also need to explain how it ties into a broader immigration reform proposal.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The opportunity the Dems have here to win over some the middle and some on the right is, explain exactly what border security you ARE willing to fund.  I believe the vast majority of Americans believe we need border security.  The mantra from Trump that Dems want open borders is poppy c$%k.  We all want border security.  Now, the Dems need to show what type of security they want and then we can decide if it's enough.  They also need to explain how it ties into a broader immigration reform proposal.

On Jan 3, the Democratic led House passed "bi-partisan" legislation (5 republicans voted for it) that included 

$1.3B for new fencing and replacement of secondary fencing

$7.7M to hire 300 additional CBP officers

$225M for new inspection equipment at ports of entry

$7.1B for ICE.  

Let me repeat that......$7.1 BILLION AMERICAN DOLLARS FOR ICE.  THE SAME ICE THAT THE PRESIDENT IS FALSELY CLAIMING "ALL" DEMOCRATS WANT TO DISSOLVE!!!!!

• Plus1 5

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

They have already explained that they want to keep funding at the current level. Continue to do what we were doing under Obama because it was working. Thats what I have heard out of Pelosi and Shumer 

8 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

On Jan 3, the Democratic led House passed "bi-partisan" legislation (5 republicans voted for it) that included 

$1.3B for new fencing and replacement of secondary fencing

$7.7M to hire 300 additional CBP officers

$225M for new inspection equipment at ports of entry

$7.1B for ICE.  

Let me repeat that......$7.1 BILLION AMERICAN DOLLARS FOR ICE.  THE SAME ICE THAT THE PRESIDENT IS FALSELY CLAIMING "ALL" DEMOCRATS WANT TO DISSOLVE!!!!!

6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

They have already explained that they want to keep funding at the current level. Continue to do what we were doing under Obama because it was working. Thats what I have heard out of Pelosi and Shumer 

These two posts seem to contradict each other.

One is saying more BP agents, new equipment, new fencing...etc.  The other is saying no change from Obama era.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

These two posts seem to contradict each other.

One is saying more BP agents, new equipment, new fencing...etc.  The other is saying no change from Obama era.

One of us described actual legislation that was voted on and passed in the House

The other pulled a talking point out of somewhere.

You be the judge

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

One of us described actual legislation that was voted on and passed in the House

The other pulled a talking point out of somewhere.

You be the judge

Pretty sure the numbers you posted are in line with the talking point I am referring to though I could be wrong.