Bring back the round style helmet

These are not small adjustments. These are major changes which are completely at odds with the PHYSICAL nature of the game. This is a game (up until now) predicated upon physical domination of the opponent. This would include hitting them so hard they lose the will to compete. If you remove this element as what is currently being attempted, you fundamentally change the nature of the game. That is not a game frankly, I could ever watch without yearning.

And no one should ever confuse it with REAL football.

go watch a highlight reel of Eric Berry or any all pro safety. In slow-mo every tackle above the waist involves helmet to helmet contact. This is what most of us have grown up with. This is normal football. It is unsafe. And it is OK. Why is it OK? Because the player CHOOSES to play. He is not forced to play. If our society chooses to remove choice and personal accountability from everything, we will no longer be free.

Do you realize the number of former NFL players dying from CTE had no ability to be informed on what exactly their decisions would lead to in terms of their long-term health? Just so I know we're on the same page here.

1. I'm all about player safety, and CTE is an insidious disease that nobody should have to deal with.

2. If you've ever watched football from the 1960s, 1970s & 1980s, like all the retired players with CTE have, you've seen utterly brutal hits as part of normal play. The game has always been brutal, just shy of blood sport. To claim now, after decades of savagery, that nobody expected to be injured or hurt after it was done, is pollyannaish.

Nobody who watched Lambeau's Packers or Hallas' Bears thought this was a tame sport. Nobody thought they'd escape unscathed. This new thing of making Football out to be some safe pastime is madness. It's like rock climbing. There's risk.

• Fire 1

2. If you've ever watched football from the 1960s, 1970s & 1980s, like all the retired players with CTE have, you've seen utterly brutal hits as part of normal play. The game has always been brutal, just shy of blood sport.

All I'm saying is that if the medical research had existed, and in some sense hadn't been stifled by the NFL, some people might have made different choices. Same thing with like...cigarettes? PTSD? I guess the heart of what a lot of people are trying to get at is that things change and evolve over time - it's inevitable, and it should be accepted gladly in light of new information that things weren't what we thought. Holding onto this macho idea of the pussification of football is akin to "Make America Great Again". Sure it wasn't what it once was, and it never will be again, but is that really, really a bad thing if it means lives are potentially being saved?