WR Coach Keith Williams Arrested on Suspicion of DUI

ADS

An accident was caused by his drinking and driving, his third offense. Ignoring other legal charges, if a death had occurred in it, I think more folks on here would be calling for his job and not defending him. That's ignoring the other legal ramifications, as well. Obviously, those other legal ramifications would lead to him being fired.

I understand both arguments and their sides. I'm leaning more towards that we should fire him. If he is required jail time for 60 days, fire him. If you have ever been a new coach (head of receivers), it takes time to build trust. If the prior coach shows up after not being seen by players for two months and he's the guy again, we will see a set back in receiver play.

HCMR and the administration at UNL will follow their handbooks, discuss everything, and make a decision on what they think the best move for the program moving forward is.

Also, some posters have estimated that 90% of the board has driven at the same legal limit, or more than he has? That's a bit ridiculous, and if you think that is how everyone lives, you need new friends.

• Fire 3

Also, some posters have estimated that 90% of the board has driven at the same legal limit, or more than he has? That's a bit ridiculous, and if you think that is how everyone lives, you need new friends.

Yeah, that always gets me when I see that in connection with a DUI (and we've had many of them over the years -- usually players, who get off fairly light).

We're not talking about jaywalking here. Maybe I'm just not around a lot of people who drink much (or at all). It concerns me that there might be many people who look at this and think it's just normal shenanigans. That would have to mean a lot of dangerous, dangerous drivers on the roads. People who probably should be in jail if a revoked license isn't sufficient.

An accident was caused by his drinking and driving, his third offense. Ignoring other legal charges, if a death had occurred in it, I think more folks on here would be calling for his job and not defending him. That's ignoring the other legal ramifications, as well. Obviously, those other legal ramifications would lead to him being fired.

I understand both arguments and their sides. I'm leaning more towards that we should fire him. If he is required jail time for 60 days, fire him. If you have ever been a new coach (head of receivers), it takes time to build trust. If the prior coach shows up after not being seen by players for two months and he's the guy again, we will see a set back in receiver play.

HCMR and the administration at UNL will follow their handbooks, discuss everything, and make a decision on what they think the best move for the program moving forward is.

Wow

1. Please cite what forensic reference lets you determine a blood alcohol level from a mug shot.

2. Alcoholism is a chronic problem that can relapse. It is pretty obvious that there is a alcohol problem present. It is likely, but not certain that he had not been drinking for some time given the lack of further incidents.

3. No one knows what contributed to recurrence of drinking.

4. It doesn't matter what contributed, it does not excuse the actions.

5. Termination of employment may be appropriate.

6. Suspension, mandatory participation in treatment, financial penalties, and a zero tolerance policy going forward may be appropriate, but it may not.

7. I am glad I do not have to decide.

8. Crap, how did I get that font

• Fire 5

1. Please cite what forensic reference lets you determine a blood alcohol level from a mug shot.

2. Alcoholism is a chronic problem that can relapse. It is pretty obvious that there is a alcohol problem present. It is likely, but not certain that he had not been drinking for some time given the lack of further incidents.

3. No one knows what contributed to recurrence of drinking.

4. It doesn't matter what contributed, it does not excuse the actions.

5. Termination of employment may be appropriate.

6. Suspension, mandatory participation in treatment, financial penalties, and a zero tolerance policy going forward may be appropriate, but it may not.

7. I am glad I do not have to decide.

8. Crap, how did I get that font

This!!!^^^^ end of discussion.

The itching desire to publicly crucify someone without more details coming out is what bothers me.

Pretty ironic if you ask me. Look at how many people jumped on butch jones when the rumors started flying out of there this spring. There wasn't a, wait til the facts come out poster, everyone hoped on that bandwagon, as they did for Baylor. In case you're looking for details, LOOK AT THE FREAKING MUGSHOT. The guy is drunk off his ass. And for those that say, a majority of this board has probably driven drunk, way to deflect blame because 1000 wrongs makes a right. Some people need to reevaluate their priorities in life if you're justifying a person's actions for blowing a .15 and getting a 3rd DUI. Again, take off the rose-colored glasses and realize the severity of the issue.

Please point out anyone who has posted anything indicating there is any justification for KW's actions.

When I used the word justification, I meant in the sense of people rationalizing a year long suspension should suffice. Or rehab and then he should be good, deflecting blame that alcoholism is a disease, etc. There's a big difference between alcoholism and stupidity.

My rationalizing is based solely on an action/ employment standpoint. If the legal side of things puts him in jail or whatever then his ability to be employed should be reassessed.

Coo. Mine comes from a morality standpoint. Having a childhood teammate killed by a drunk driver is enough to sway my opinion that there isn't any excuse.

• Fire 1

I'm curious who he was out with this late. Was he taking out the coaches from Lewis's school?

That is what I was told but I refrained from posting because nothing is out there yet. I heard it was an uber he hit.

I kind of wondered the same thing as to why he was out downtown during camp with people in town other than if they were with him.

The itching desire to publicly crucify someone without more details coming out is what bothers me.

Pretty ironic if you ask me. Look at how many people jumped on butch jones when the rumors started flying out of there this spring. There wasn't a, wait til the facts come out poster, everyone hoped on that bandwagon, as they did for Baylor. In case you're looking for details, LOOK AT THE FREAKING MUGSHOT. The guy is drunk off his ass. And for those that say, a majority of this board has probably driven drunk, way to deflect blame because 1000 wrongs makes a right. Some people need to reevaluate their priorities in life if you're justifying a person's actions for blowing a .15 and getting a 3rd DUI. Again, take off the rose-colored glasses and realize the severity of the issue.

Please point out anyone who has posted anything indicating there is any justification for KW's actions.

When I used the word justification, I meant in the sense of people rationalizing a year long suspension should suffice. Or rehab and then he should be good, deflecting blame that alcoholism is a disease, etc. There's a big difference between alcoholism and stupidity.

My rationalizing is based solely on an action/ employment standpoint. If the legal side of things puts him in jail or whatever then his ability to be employed should be reassessed.

Coo. Mine comes from a morality standpoint. Having a childhood teammate killed by a drunk driver is enough to sway my opinion that there isn't any excuse.

I can see why you would have that opinion