WR Coach Keith Williams Arrested on Suspicion of DUI

ADS

I can fully understand someone making a mistake. Having a moment of lapse of judgement and doing something stupid and regretting it. That's what second chances are for.

However, this is his third offense. That pretty much sums up that he hasn't learned a lesson from the other two incidents. He also will be spending a lengthy time with a jail sentence.

Unfortunately, I don't see how the program can keep him. Even if you could rationalize giving him the opportunity to overcome his drinking problem and get help, this would be very disruptive to the program and his position group.

Also...unfortunately....I think you can kiss the big recruits we are trying to get (lewis, Lindsey) goodby.

then I don't see why the university would take on the potential liability.

Because sometimes the right thing to do isn't the most convenient or safest thing to do.

If it's because of his value as a coach, I have to question

No, because of his value as a human being.

Williams may crash and burn if given another chance. If so, that's on him. Everybody else's job is to see if he can get some effective help. (By the way, this is just my opinion based on some work I do and on my faith. I don't expect everybody to agree with it.)

• Fire 2

Firing a guy who has a drinking problem just makes an unemployed guy with a drinking problem. That doesn't help anyone. In fact, it is counterproductive.

Hopefully, Eichorst calls him in and tells him that he has taken his last drink and tell us what do you need from the University to get this fixed and behind you.

However, make it clear that his last drink has to be THE LAST DRINK.

While I generally feel people fly too far off the handle about DUI, if the information about # of offenses and amount of BAC on this offense are true, then I don't see why the university would take on the potential liability.

If it's because of his value as a coach, I have to question (a) whether he can be effective as a leader of players if he shows such poor judgment, (b) has any credibility on the recruiting trail, especially in the face of negative recruiting, and © whether being a full time coach in the pressure cooker that is Nebraska football is the most conducive situation for recovery and bad behavior avoidance.

If the info is accurate, I don't see how he can be kept on, for his good or the good of the program.

I wonder how many university professors have DUI's and fly under the radar because they aren't a football coach.

No idea. Probably some.

Wonder how many of them make almost half a million in salary a year.

So, I fail to see the relevance.

I fail to see the relevance in the amount of money they make being the reason one can remain hired and one can't.

• Fire 1

Because sometimes the right thing to do isn't the most convenient or safest thing to do.

Williams may crash and burn if given another chance. If so, that's on him. Everybody else's job is to see if he can get some effective help. (By the way, this is just my opinion based on some work I do and on my faith. I don't expect everybody to agree with it.)

I know. I don't disagree with your approach, necessarily, and I recognize/am impressed by your sympathy and empathy.

I just don't know that staying as a coach at Nebraska actually puts him in the best position to improve.

There have been a string of coaches that I really liked who were let go or moved on because of personal issues (if the rumors are to be believed). I didn't always agree with the "cut them loose" mentality, but I understood it because it was probably best for the program and the person.

Seems to me that if (again, if) the information is accurate, Williams would be best served by an amicable parting of ways with an appropriate severance, which he could use to take the time off he needs to assess and address his situation.

• Fire 2

Firing a guy who has a drinking problem just makes an unemployed guy with a drinking problem. That doesn't help anyone. In fact, it is counterproductive.

Hopefully, Eichorst calls him in and tells him that he has taken his last drink and tell us what do you need from the University to get this fixed and behind you.

While I generally feel people fly too far off the handle about DUI, if the information about # of offenses and amount of BAC on this offense are true, then I don't see why the university would take on the potential liability.

If it's because of his value as a coach, I have to question (a) whether he can be effective as a leader of players if he shows such poor judgment, (b) has any credibility on the recruiting trail, especially in the face of negative recruiting, and © whether being a full time coach in the pressure cooker that is Nebraska football is the most conducive situation for recovery and bad behavior avoidance.

If the info is accurate, I don't see how he can be kept on, for his good or the good of the program.

I wonder how many university professors have DUI's and fly under the radar because they aren't a football coach.

No idea. Probably some.

Wonder how many of them make almost half a million in salary a year.

So, I fail to see the relevance.

I fail to see the relevance in the amount of money they make being the reason one can remain hired and one can't.

Ok, that was just one example of a distinction.

What we ask of our coaches (and pay to them in exchange) is much more than we ask of professors. I think every rational person here recognizes that.

That said, if a professor was found guilty of a third DUI, I'd have to think that university would consider moving him/her on, even though the professor has much less responsibility for recruiting and developing students athletes than the highly paid football coach. one of the big arguments for firing a previous coach was that he appeared to embarrass the University. Here, a coach actually has (at least as that's perceived by most - I personally don't find it embarrassing). I'm sure if there were a professor of sufficient stature that anyone cared whether he/she got a DUI, the university would evaluate them in a similar manner because of the reputational impact. Simple reality is that there isn't.

f7cb2b0d4573d4a094774cb7e9aef069.png

This is his 3rd offense according to the LPD. Nebraska law is that DUI's carry over for 12 years. His first offense being 2004 could make it interesting. Since he had a BAC level of .15+ and being in an accident doesn't help his case.

Looking outside of the law it is a bad look on Nebraska if he stays or leaves. Some recruits and their parents might think differently now and going forward. Just a dumb move for Coach Dub to put himself in this position when it is totally avoidable.

• Fire 2

Sometimes there can't be another chance. Assuming this is his 3rd or 4th dui, it is time to cut ties. It has nothing to do with his value as a human being and doing what is best for him. Sometimes the University or employer has to do what is in the best interest of the most. I hate to lose him as a coach and really hope he gets the help he needs but we also do not need these type of problems on staff and mentoring young minds. I think it could have an extremely negative effect on recruiting also. Discounting the current commits who may decommit, it sure doesn't make the job easy going forward, telling parents that their players will be in good hands.

• Fire 1

How exactly would he even do his job? He will lose his license for a very long time (15 years???). His job requires him to travel a lot and drive a lot to visit recruits. How the hell would he even do that? Can you imagine how expensive that would be to hire someone to come with you everywhere you go just to drive?

f7cb2b0d4573d4a094774cb7e9aef069.png

This is his 3rd offense according to the LPD. Nebraska law is that DUI's carry over for 12 years. His first offense being 2004 could make it interesting. Since he had a BAC level of .15+ and being in an accident doesn't help his case.

Looking outside of the law it is a bad look on Nebraska if he stays or leaves. Some recruits and their parents might think differently now and going forward. Just a dumb move for Coach Dub to put himself in this position when it is totally avoidable.

Is the guy looking at jail time or even prison time?

How exactly would he even do his job? He will lose his license for a very long time (15 years???). His job requires him to travel a lot and drive a lot to visit recruits. How the hell would he even do that? Can you imagine how expensive that would be to hire someone to come with you everywhere you go just to drive?

This is the main sticking point for me as well. From a legal side, if his punishments make it to where he can't do his job, then he no longer has value as a coach.

He can't coach and recruit from jail.

It's next to impossible to get interlocks installed on rental cars

And the university should definitely not be on the hook to pay for a driver for him.

This is the main sticking point for me as well. From a legal side, if his punishments make it to where he can't do his job, then he no longer has value as a coach.

And the university should definitely not be on the hook to pay for a driver for him.

Also have to think about the terms of his probation. Some can't leave the state except for emergency - while others have to check-in and coordinate all out of state trips with probation officer.

Take the driver pay out of his salary. Money is not the issue. I doubt he is kept though so it wont really matter.

A person with a drinking problem... and who chooses to drive drunk... selfishly putting the public at risk of death and injury... is NOT THE VICTIM !

Innocent people who are killed by drunk drivers are the victims. Estimates are that 1Million 250 Thousand people or more have been killed by drunk drivers in the last 50 years. And many millions more have been permanently injured and maimed by drunk drivers. This is crazy. Rational people have decided enough is enough. This is an insult and an affront to the people of our country.

You want an alcoholic to TELL YOU what they need to get themselves fixed? You don't understand the problem at all. The only person who can cure an alcoholic is the alcoholic themselves. No one can do that for them. It is their own personal responsibility to help themselves. Someone who has had three offences with drunk driving has no intentions of helping themselves. They had a second chance and a third chance and now a forth chance. They would have been given all the support they needed to help themselves along the way. Enough is enough. Drunk driving laws are what they are exactly because of people like this.

Too many people here have their priorities completely mixed up and as$ backwards. Coach Williams is NOT THE VICTIM. Innocent people who's lives are at risk because of drunk drivers are the victims.

Being a sports fan does not mean that you have to loose all rational thinking about your fellow citizens. Sports is not more important than peoples lives. Drunk drivers have no right to kill other people. 71 people are killed every day in alcohol related accidents. 1 person dies every 20 minutes in an alcohol related car crash.

• Fire 2

I'm not sure how much KW weighs, but an estimate of how many drinks it would take to get a BAC above .15 is a conservative 8 or 9 drinks. That's alot. That's not a whoops, I had one too many beers number but a I'm a binge drinker who has little regard for myself, my family, and the community number. And remember, this aint his first rodeo- it's how he rolls.