WR Coach Keith Williams Arrested on Suspicion of DUI

ADS

Either a real lawyer or internet lawyer can correct me if I'm wrong, but they initially take your BAC with the breathalyzer at the scene. Then they also take your BAC through a blood test after you're booked. If his BAC had dropped to below .15 for the blood test then they would explain the drop to a misdemeanor.

• Fire 1

Should every person who gets this kind of misdemeanor DUI charge get fired from whatever job they have? Jailed (for how long)? Or what?

No. But I think a large portion of his job is to be a mentor and role model to 18-22 year old kids.

Right. From a legal standpoint, if it's not automatic or clear cut, then it gets to be a judgment call.

Knowing who KW is. Knowing that he did this thing that's now on his record. Does it still make sense to continue employing him as that mentor?

I don't know think there's a clear answer here. And now we're in the territory of character judgment where most of us don't know a slice compared to those closer to the situation.

Granted, it's fair to suspect they're just thinking about football. But the hope is with the football, AD, and UNL sides all part of the process that will now take place, you have this decision at least significantly in the hands of people who are employed to worry about UNL, not GBR.

Either a real lawyer or internet lawyer can correct me if I'm wrong, but they initially take your BAC with the breathalyzer at the scene. Then they also take your BAC through a blood test after you're booked. If his BAC had dropped to below .15 for the blood test then they would explain the drop to a misdemeanor.

No.

You can refuse the breathalyzer at the scene and ask for a blood test with no penalty. Sometimes it may take an hour or so for them to find a place for you to have blood drawn and during that time, your BAC may drop. However, it may go up if you had just consumed a bunch of alcohol right before you were pulled over. It takes up to 45 minutes for alcohol to get into your system.

The charges should reflect the actual BAC that is taken from what ever test is done.

No...I'm not a lawyer or even play one on the internet. Just going off of what people I know have gone through.

If I've heard right, the tests in the field aren't the official levels until the test is administered in jail with a proper machine - for the lack of a better term. So, the BAC being lowered isn't a real shocker, at least it shouldn't be, nor should it be a reason to exclaim abuse of power or this is a football town. I had a friend refuse a breathalyzer, so they arrested him and then they tested him at the jail - the test was administered improperly at first, so they then tested again after a brief time in the holding cell. His lawyer found an error/loophole with their own process that ultimately got his charges lowered to wreckless driving. The point of that story is that it's not just famous/public/likable people who get away with crimes, it's any one of us.

Coach Dubs will stay and be here until Riley leaves (unless an event like this occurs again) since giving him the initial chance, keeping him after a screw up, and letting his son transfer here. He owes Riley a lot and better work even harder while here now.

well, makes it easier to justify not granting him a raise nor worrying about him leaving for greener pastures in the near future.

A lawyer as a family friend. pretty big rep for getting folks off dui's. He's told my dad once to refuse all breathalyzers and sobriety tests. Makes his job easier. Dont know why or how. Just what he says.

I don't think that the difference is as relevant as people are making it out to be.

"You got really drunk, hit a guy, refused to exchange insurance information, and got arrested (for the 3rd time for this particular offense) and...wait...what??!! You only got KIND of drunk and all of that other stuff happened as a result? Changes EVERYTHING!"

Many will disagree, but as far as "mentoring" and "developing young men" are concerned, I don't think that this is the best message to be sending.

From what I know a Breathalyzer can be used to prove the existence of alcohol but cannot be used as evidence or proof of blood level. So it can basically be used a a cause for arrest or a reason to prove that further tests are necessary. However, only a blood test is admissible in court. But I could be wrong.....

• Fire 1

I just think things like this send the wrong message from a social standpoint. I just dont think the punishment is fitting the crime. We as a society put so much stress when wrongdoing is done and how horrible it is, until it is inconvenient for ourselves. This is why I was so extreme about my opinions last night. he's probably not getting canned, and I still think that is a mistake. But at the end of the day, this is the world we live in. Looking at the big picture, i just dont know how we expect ppl to make correct decisions, when consquences for the wrong decsions are almost non existant. Sure we can make Williams do all sorts of PR or community service or suspension etc, but will he actually feel the jolt of his wrongdoing? I dont think so and that is the point here. Both in this situation, and in the big picture of life and society. You really wanna educate the young men under his watch? Show them what happens when you behave like youre above the law and make really poor choices.

Count 'Bility,

You hit the nail on the head with regards to our ever changing, fragile accommodating mentally disturbed society. There are no consequential decisions to tall, or less valued (depending on the mood of the day). Everything has become acceptable in all camps of thought. I had zero input as to what I would consider to have been the proper outcome of this, as my opinion would only prove my ignorance or brilliance, based on what side of the coin you prefer to flip too.