WR Coach Keith Williams Arrested on Suspicion of DUI

ADS

What defines someone as an alcoholic? Is it someone that drinks everyday, no matter the amount? Is it someone that drinks more then once in a given period of time, like twice a week?

I got an MIP when I was in college and had to take a class as a part of my probation. During that class, the instructor asked if anyone in my family drank. After a short discussion, he tried telling me that my Grandma was an alcoholic because she drank 1 beer on New Years Eve every year. That was the only time my grandma would drink. It was a family tradition for her that started when her great grandparents came to America.

Ever since that day, I have always wondered what defines someone as an alcoholic.

My guess is it's someone who picks alcohol over everything else, family is a distant second. They do it mostly on a daily basis to numb something somewhere deep within them. Their "normal" level to operate everyday is different than you and I's. What they consider "normal" BAC you and I would consider drunk. They dread the shakes that comes with the detoxification that begins to occur if there has been too much time since their last drink and if they don't keep their levels "normal" it becomes pretty apparent to those around them and is painful and annoying to them. They hide it from their family, stashing bottles here and there and denying what they're doing to not only themselves, but their families, secretly they may be embarrassed and ashamed. They become verbally and sometimes physically abusive when they are on one of their many benders and don't care what happens or who they hurt and will still live in denial until it finally gets to the point that they are either ready to talk about and do something about it or lose everything. They are trapped in their own personal hell with no clear picture of how to get out or don't want to take on that mountain sitting in front of them where recovery is on the other side. Trouble is the flames of the hell they're in lick at the people that care about them and they surround themselves with and they become collateral damage in the process. I feel the term "alcoholic" is used too loosely and thrown around way too much when describing some situations. It may be appropriate in this situation or it may not be. We obviously don't know the entire background and can only speculate at this point.

Sorry for the deep thoughts, I've had several alcoholics in my family, still do, and have seen what it does to families as a spectator as well. Damaging stuff, but addiction usually is.

• Fire 3

KW has 3 DUIs in the span of 12 years with the last one coming 8 years ago. I don't think that necessarily makes him an alcoholic, more like someone that has made piss poor decisions.

You think he's only driven drunk once since the last DUI?

What was that bit you used two days ago... "The character assassinations and revisionism continue" or something like that?

I get your point. I think most do. But it's weird that you've brought it up like 12 times. It's like you're trying to insist on something without actually saying it.

I have absolutely no expertise in this area but it would seem to me that someone could have a "problem with alcohol" without being an "alcoholic." I would say someone who drinks in excess when they do drink but doesn't necessarily drink all the time could still be said to have a problem. And obviously someone who chooses to drive after they've had too much to drink has a problem with those choices.

And while it's all well and good to say that these *might* be the only times that he's driven drunk, that seems fairly naive to me. Yes, theoretically it's possible. But it seems so unlikely to as barely be worth mentioning.

Have there been any reports as to who else was with him (if anyone)?

• Fire 1

KW has 3 DUIs in the span of 12 years with the last one coming 8 years ago. I don't think that necessarily makes him an alcoholic, more like someone that has made piss poor decisions.

I agree. Having a substance abuse problem is a different issue than driving drunk. I have great sympathy for those battling substance abuse, but I do not understand why people drive impaired. It is too easy to get a ride home.

What defines someone as an alcoholic? Is it someone that drinks everyday, no matter the amount? Is it someone that drinks more then once in a given period of time, like twice a week?

I got an MIP when I was in college and had to take a class as a part of my probation. During that class, the instructor asked if anyone in my family drank. After a short discussion, he tried telling me that my Grandma was an alcoholic because she drank 1 beer on New Years Eve every year. That was the only time my grandma would drink. It was a family tradition for her that started when her great grandparents came to America.

Ever since that day, I have always wondered what defines someone as an alcoholic.

Your instructor should not have been an instructor.

• Fire 3

My guess is it's someone who picks alcohol over everything else, family is a distant second. They do it mostly on a daily basis to numb something somewhere deep within them. Their "normal" level to operate everyday is different than you and I's. What they consider "normal" BAC you and I would consider drunk. They dread the shakes that comes with the detoxification that begins to occur if there has been too much time since their last drink and if they don't keep their levels "normal" it becomes pretty apparent to those around them and is painful and annoying to them. They hide it from their family, stashing bottles here and there and denying what they're doing to not only themselves, but their families, secretly they may be embarrassed and ashamed. They become verbally and sometimes physically abusive when they are on one of their many benders and don't care what happens or who they hurt and will still live in denial until it finally gets to the point that they are either ready to talk about and do something about it or lose everything. They are trapped in their own personal hell with no clear picture of how to get out or don't want to take on that mountain sitting in front of them where recovery is on the other side. Trouble is the flames of the hell they're in lick at the people that care about them and they surround themselves with and they become collateral damage in the process. I feel the term "alcoholic" is used too loosely and thrown around way too much when describing some situations. It may be appropriate in this situation or it may not be. We obviously don't know the entire background and can only speculate at this point.

Sorry for the deep thoughts, I've had several alcoholics in my family, still do, and have seen what it does to families as a spectator as well. Damaging stuff, but addiction usually is.

Nailed it! Everyone will probably have their own definition, but your definition is the same as mine.

I have absolutely no expertise in this area but it would seem to me that someone could have a "problem with alcohol" without being an "alcoholic." I would say someone who drinks in excess when they do drink but doesn't necessarily drink all the time could still be said to have a problem. And obviously someone who chooses to drive after they've had too much to drink has a problem with those choices.

And while it's all well and good to say that these *might* be the only times that he's driven drunk, that seems fairly naive to me. Yes, theoretically it's possible. But it seems so unlikely to as barely be worth mentioning.

I dont know of any actual reports, but I heard on 1620 he was out with Joseph Lewis coaches recruting.

When did God die and who was appointed successor? He is a man, man makes mistakes. Where was the outrage over the manslaughter of Sam? A crime is a crime is a crime... this is such a bullsh#t story about a good man trying his best to make the program the best. Did cocaine Carl feel this backlash after his infidelities? Did Banderas get chased with pitchforks and torches?

This is between Williams and the University. All this negativity is garbage... be consistent if you are going to judge your fellow man, that is how God did it... before he apparently died.

That's a pretty good explanation of the most common example thought of when discussing alcoholism.

A few points where it may vary.

a) Even though all that may be true, the person may think they are normal and don't have a problem. I have a friend who has been sober for close to 40 years. He tells me of the horrific life he lead when he drank (11 DUIs). When he was going through it, he thought HE was perfectly normal and everyone else was just idiots. He thought his life was perfectly normal and was totally oblivious to the destruction he was causing around him.

b) There are some who can be classified as alcoholics that actually don't drink every day and they function just fine on those days. Their problem comes when they DO drink, they can't stop until they are absolutely blitzed, passed out...almost dead. They don't wake up craving another drink. In fact, they wake up believing they will never drink again because of how crappy they feel and embarrassed at what they did. But....a few weeks go by and they are out socially and start drinking....and...well....there it goes again. Yes, I know a few people like this too who have quit drinking and have found that their drinking was almost as destructive as the person in my first example.

I dont know of any actual reports, but I heard on 1620 he was out with Joseph Lewis coaches recruting.

So, if this is true, there's something I have been trying to hash out and grasp. If his duty was to go out and "recruit the coaches," which in many organizations is taking them out for drinks, is there a point where this falls on the university/organization for putting their employee in the middle of this? I'm not implying that the university controls his method of transportation or whether he gets behind the wheel and drives drunk, but focusing on the systemic nature of wooing coaches. I would have to think the university/organization/Riley takes a look at the position they put their employee in, knowing he had a past that includes abuse. Anybody have an experience or HR grasp on this?

When did God die and who was appointed successor? He is a man, man makes mistakes. Where was the outrage over the manslaughter of Sam? A crime is a crime is a crime... this is such a bullsh#t story about a good man trying his best to make the program the best. Did cocaine Carl feel this backlash after his infidelities? Did Banderas get chased with pitchforks and torches?

This is between Williams and the University. All this negativity is garbage... be consistent if you are going to judge your fellow man, that is how God did it... before he apparently died.

I don't completely disagree with your point, but your examples aren't exactly fair. Carl's indiscretions weren't nearly as public and he was fired for them. I remember the discussions among the people who did have an idea being very similar to this. Banderas wasn't a coach who is supposed to be a leader for the players on the team. And there were definitely people giving him some heat for his bad decisions. This board is also a very small portion of the whole fan base. I don't think the overall negativity is quite as bad as you make it out to be with your God reference. He is in a very visible position at a public university. All the criticism comes with the job, whether it's on the field or not.

• Fire 1

You think he's only driven drunk once since the last DUI?

What was that bit you used two days ago... "The character assassinations and revisionism continue" or something like that?

I get your point. I think most do. But it's weird that you've brought it up like 12 times. It's like you're trying to insist on something without actually saying it.

I've brought it up when people state or imply that he may have just had this single episode so he should be excused.

I don't know whether firing him is the right call, but it's almost a certainty that irrational and poor behavior re: alcohol is a norm for him. Whether that can be managed and is worth the risk of retention is a separate question.

But let's not pretend, by saying things like "this may have been his first bad act in 8 years" that Williams doesn't have a major problem that makes him a liability.

Anyone notice this piece...

According to the Lincoln police, Williams’ Chevrolet Camaro rear-ended an Uber driver at the intersection of Ninth and N Streets early Sunday. Initially, the other driver merely wanted to exchange insurance information without calling the police — neither the other driver, nor her passengers, sustained injuries — but Williams told her his insurance was through Blue Cross Blue Shield, which provides health insurance. The police were then called.

I'm leaning towards him drinking till midnight - having a few glasses of water over the last couple hours and thinking he was fine...just completely underestimating his BAC. NO ONE is dumb enough to call the cops for a simple bump if they thought they were above the legal limit. They were called because of his decision. Seems odd - doesn't seem like a case where a guy went out, got drunk, chugged his final beer on his way out of the bar then got behind the wheel.

Manslaughter of Sam?

Same guy who says "don't be a negative judge" calls Carl pelini "cocaine Carl" and accuses him of infedelities.

Congrats: Double irony points for being a negative judge in the same post for admonishing others and not even realizing that Carl did feel backlash and may have been moved on based only on rumors (not even a public arrest that endangered others).

And I think Banderas was punished too, iirc.

Anyone notice this piece...

According to the Lincoln police, Williams Chevrolet Camaro rear-ended an Uber driver at the intersection of Ninth and N Streets early Sunday. Initially, the other driver merely wanted to exchange insurance information without calling the police neither the other driver, nor her passengers, sustained injuries but Williams told her his insurance was through Blue Cross Blue Shield, which provides health insurance. The police were then called.

I'm leaning towards him drinking till midnight - having a few glasses of water over the last couple hours and thinking he was fine...just completely underestimating his BAC. NO ONE is dumb enough to call the cops for a simple bump if they thought they were above the legal limit. They were called because of his decision. Seems odd - doesn't seem like a case where a guy went out, got drunk, chugged his final beer on his way out of the bar then got behind the wheel.

The uber driver called the police.

And either Williams is an idiot or he was intoxicated because nothing else explains confusing your health insurance with your car insurance.