WR Coach Keith Williams Arrested on Suspicion of DUI

ADS

Lets get something straight, just because he got a DUI does NOT mean he is an alcoholic. I see a lot of posters on here talking about drinking problems and demons and all that stuff. Nobody knows how much he drinks on a daily basis or if any at all. For all we know, this could have been the first time since his last incident he has drank. Not everyone who drinks and drives is an alcoholic. A lot of people who drive home after having some drinka do it because its cheaper ans more convenient, not because they are raging alcoholics and have personal demons. Over the past couple years Ive realized driving after going to say, the Benson area in Omaha is not worth it. So ive started taking uber. There are times I still want to drive myself because its more convenient than waiting for a cab to pick you up and paying an extra $25-40. I drink maybe 2-3 times a month. If I decided one night to drive myself and got a DUI, it wouldnt make me an alcoholic, it would make me an idiot. Lets the stop the Keith Williams is an alcoholic speculation.

Thank you!!

Lets get something straight, just because he got a DUI does NOT mean he is an alcoholic. I see a lot of posters on here talking about drinking problems and demons and all that stuff. Nobody knows how much he drinks on a daily basis or if any at all. For all we know, this could have been the first time since his last incident he has drank. Not everyone who drinks and drives is an alcoholic. A lot of people who drive home after having some drinka do it because its cheaper ans more convenient, not because they are raging alcoholics and have personal demons. Over the past couple years Ive realized driving after going to say, the Benson area in Omaha is not worth it. So ive started taking uber. There are times I still want to drive myself because its more convenient than waiting for a cab to pick you up and paying an extra $25-40. I drink maybe 2-3 times a month. If I decided one night to drive myself and got a DUI, it wouldnt make me an alcoholic, it would make me an idiot. Lets the stop the Keith Williams is an alcoholic speculation.

how many dui's do you have to do it to realize that you cannot handle any amount of alcohol? Three DUI's is a huge red flag.

• Fire 3

Thank you!!

Was trying to come up with the right words, but my feelings are this until proven otherwise. Is he an idiot? Absolutely, but this happened on a Saturday night around closing time with no obligations the next day. He went out had a few drinks and drove home instead of getting a ride. If he does need some help and he's kept, then the school absolutely needs to lay out some parameters on what needs to happen before he can go back to coaching (including a possible suspension or more).

how many dui's do you have to do it to realize that you cannot handle any amount of alcohol? Three DUI's is a huge red flag.

Doesn't mean he is an alcoholic and is dependent on alcohol, just means he needs to make better decisions when finding a way home. He also may very well have a drinking problem that needs professional help. I don't know and nobody else does either because nobody knows him on a personal level. We know Coach Sark had drinking issues because he came out and said it. Until KW comes out and says I have issues with alcohol and need help, I am not going to slander his person.

• Fire 1

Bingo! it's so much easier for people to say he's an alcoholic and deflect blame versus realizing that he had a few too many to be behind the wheel. Just like all these recovering alcoholics seem to be looking down their nose and automatically assume everyone drinks and drives but just haven't been caught. It might shock some, but there are actually responsible people out there that would rather take an uber than drink and drive.

Should every person who gets this kind of misdemeanor DUI charge get fired from whatever job they have? Jailed (for how long)? Or what?

Why are multiple people acting like this is the first issue he's had and like his job is the same as all other jobs?

Lots of people are in jobs where this doesn't have a big effect on how well they can do the job. That's not the case with Williams.

• Fire 2

Doesn't mean he is an alcoholic and is dependent on alcohol, just means he needs to make better decisions when finding a way home. He also may very well have a drinking problem that needs professional help. I don't know and nobody else does either because nobody knows him on a personal level. We know Coach Sark had drinking issues because he came out and said it. Until KW comes out and says I have issues with alcohol and need help, I am not going to slander his person.

+1 because I think this is fair.

I don't have a problem with people assuming he's an alcoholic. When something like this happens to him so many times and he still keeps doing it, it screams that there's an addiction involved.

IMO a big part of the definiton of addiction is/should be that you keep doing the thing you're addicted to even if it hurts you or people you care about. You know it hurts but you keep doing it. It would be very rare for someone who's not addicted to alcohol to put themselves in this position 4 times. If he weren't an alcoholic you'd think he would have learned his lesson after the first time. It's generally an addiction that causes you to make the same detrimental mistake over and over.

• Fire 1

Bingo! it's so much easier for people to say he's an alcoholic and deflect blame versus realizing that he had a few too many to be behind the wheel. Just like all these recovering alcoholics seem to be looking down their nose and automatically assume everyone drinks and drives but just haven't been caught. It might shock some, but there are actually responsible people out there that would rather take an uber than drink and drive.

I stand by my contention that he is likely an alcoholic.

1. Having an alcohol use disorder (current terminology, btw) does not excuse one from the consequences of decisions made while using. In fact that makes the risk of further problems higher.
  2. People who do not have a drinking problem do end up being picked up for DUI. However, having been picked up once, they rarely make that mistake again, because the don't go out to drink without calculating how long they would have to wait after the last drink before it was safe for them to drive or just make certain that they had a designated driver. The person with an alcohol problem has lost the ability to exercise that control. Whereas you or I may say, OK, I will have one drink and then will wait a hour after that before I drive, the person with a drinking problem may have the same plan, BUT once they have one they lose control over having the second and so they end up drinking more than they had intended and lack the judgment to say oops, guess I better call a cab. The likelihood of that KW does not have a problem is low. The lack of control is the same reason that when someone comes to my office smelling of alcohol there is a very high likelihood they have alcohol use disorder.

In terms of the prosecution deciding not to file the felony charge. that makes perfect sense, too. Any test whether a breathalizer or a serum alcohol level has a degree of uncertainty. If you run the test on the very same blood sample 100 times, you will get a range of results in the form of a bell shaped curve. The result would be more properly reported as BAC of 0.15 plus or minus (probably 2 standard deviations). Let us say for the sake of argument that the uncertainty of the BAC test is 0.005. Any defense attorney worth his salt will ask, "Can you state with absolute certainty that my clients Blood alcohol level was 0.15 and not 0.145?' To which the expert will have to answer, "No, it is possible that the BAC was 0.145." The prosecuting attorney knows this, so he charges the crime that he knows his evidence is solid on. KW is not getting any break here. You or I would see the same break. See McKewon's tweet to that effect.

• Fire 2

I like the above post. I got pulled over once and had to do the whole test on the side of the road (I wasn't drunk as it had been 4 hours since my last drink and I hadn't had a ton, but I was tired and the police officer saw me swerve a little). Anyhow, that scared the sh#t out of me and I don't even come close to putting myself into that position anymore. I just can't imagine someone who's not an alcoholic having 2-3 DUIs and an alcohol-related careless driving ticket. If he's not an alcoholic, why is it so hard for him to stop doing this?

You could be right, maybe he isn't......but 3 DUI's? When drinking affects your life, your family and professional like that it is a problem. A drinking problem.

It is not a bad luck problem, or a cop problem, or I just made a few stupid decisions. One time for a casual drinker is bad luck and a stupid decision.

How is it slander? Perhaps that word means something to you it does not to me. Some of you knee-jerk really bad to it. And didn't you imply he is an idiot (x3) in your initial post?

Let's look at the cost-benefit for one moment:

Benefit: Good WR coach stays, could be a "life-changing" experience that puts him on the right track

Cost: He relapses or gets another DUI and it looks really bad for the university, he relapses or gets another DUI where someone is hurt or killed and it looks REALLY bad for the university

Understandably, he could relapse and get another DUI wherever he is, but what kinds of widespread ramifications do you think that such an occurrence would have if the university allows him to come back knowing what it knows now? I think it would be a lot wider than a lot of people realize.