WR Coach Keith Williams Arrested on Suspicion of DUI

ADS

What are we 2 weeks from burying one of our own that died in a true car ACCIDENT.

So sad that an adult these kids trust then goes out and does this. I just think the team has to be so fragile right now.

Oh man, good point. Hardly the way to be honoring Foltz.

He died in an accident...how is that related

I think the point being the unavoidable tragedy involving Sam and the willful choice to drive under the influence that could cause a deadly accident. A recent auto accident, should (IMO) have people more mindful of the responsibilities when driving i.e. DUI/TXT/speed?weather etc..... Just a more focused respect for driving in general. Related as both involved an accident, both Huskers and one died and one could've....Just my .02.

The fact that there are people trying to justify / figure out ways he can stay is completely idiotic. The dude is 40, with 3 DUI, and a representative of the university. Hypothetically, if he had no ties to the university and hit an uber that your loved one was in, would you show the same mercy? I sure as hell wouldn't, so I won't give him preferential treatment just cause he wears the N. As cdog stated above, he's a grown as man and needs to lay in the bed he made. Does it suck we are going to lose him? Sure. But at the end of the day, this isn't someone you'd want teaching your kids life lessons.

Yep. There's too many people (not necessarily here) that are trying to find a way to justify keeping him and it's all due to the fact that they put football over everything in life and in that case, they also know KW is a key cog in the potential resurgence of NU football.

No one wants to lose their best recruiter but messages need to be sent to people that football is not above life. I get sick this time of the year with how "glorious" football is. It's sickening. It's one thing to love football. It's another to idolize it and put it ahead of the well being of yourself and others.

• Fire 2

Suspension pending outcome of the trial and then termination is by prediction. Frankly, I'll be upset if they don't take serious action. He's charged with a felony. Beyond the driving restrictions already mentioned, he might not be able to travel while he's awaiting trial. He needs to address his alcohol abuse issues before he can even think about coaching.

i hate that so many people voted to get rid of the death penalty in the state.

?
3???? How is that not death penality?
because there was no vehicular homicide in this case? That and the fact that 1st degree murder is the only murder where you can be sentenced to death???

I anticipate that MR, SE and University officials will get together and try to decide the best way to approach this issue.

Factors to consider:

1. Duration since past offenses.
  2. How KW handles this. Does he man up and admit that he has a recurrent issue with alcohol and what does he intend to do about it.
  3. University policy
  4. What effect this may have on his ability to do his job. It would be hard to coach and recruit from jail.

Factors not to consider:

1. He has been a good recruiter.
  2. What affect the action taken may have on current recruits.
  3. How much the staff likes him.

What is needed now.

An articulated interim plan while the evaluation process occurs.

Whatever support is needed for KW to put his life back in order whether or not he remains on staff.

• Fire 3

I anticipate that MR, SE and University officials will get together and try to decide the best way to approach this issue.

Factors to consider:

1. Duration since past offenses.
  2. How KW handles this. Does he man up and admit that he has a recurrent issue with alcohol and what does he intend to do about it.
  3. University policy
  4. What effect this may have on his ability to do his job. It would be hard to coach and recruit from jail.

Factors not to consider:

1. He has been a good recruiter.
  2. What affect the action taken may have on current recruits.
  3. How much the staff likes him.

What is needed now.

An articulated interim plan while the evaluation process occurs.

Whatever support is needed for KW to put his life back in order whether or not he remains on staff.

Good summary. Thank you.

• Fire 1

i hate that so many people voted to get rid of the death penalty in the state.

?
3???? How is that not death penality?
because there was no vehicular homicide in this case? That and the fact that 1st degree murder is the only murder where you can be sentenced to death???

Ohhhhh.. See you're saying it's not the end of the world… Exactly my point people need to settle the f#*k down

So let's assume KW is gone...who can step in immediately to first help our team out this season, and second to keep the WR momentum going?

Pipe dream, but....Keyshawn Johnson, Sr.??
.1% this ever happens, but now I'm really excited..

Is he still a talking head at ESPN?

Both he and Randy Moss are still at ESPN I believe. The fact that this is happening just before the first game is not good, but on a positive note, Riley has been around for years and has more relationships that most college football coaches.

The itching desire to publicly crucify someone without more details coming out is what bothers me.

He was arrested for driving while drunk.... What details are you waiting on? What more do you need to know before you'll criticize his behavior?

Criticize and crucify are two very different things.

Criticize all you want, its obvious he made a bad decision and it sounds like it's not the first time.

Crucify - for that I want all the details.

• Fire 1

As a reminder, let's simmer down a little if you're getting worked up. Of course, it's a touchy topic and some of us have been much closer to the consequences of DUIs than others. But Coach, 84, and others, I don't want to be handing out warnings over this thread.

Take a breather, if need be, before going off at each other. Thanks :)

• Fire 1

I have had the unfortunate duty of taking care of people who have destroyed their lives with the misuse of alcohol. I have also seen people turn their lives around. As I indicated before, it is fortunate that no one was seriously injured or killed. I have no problem in declaring that the behavior in question was wrong, stupid, dangerous, etc. I would just encourage us all to withhold judgement on KW himself, as well as what should happen to him.

I think that in this world of twitter, message boards, 24 hour news cycles and instant everything one should guard against judging hastily. We have all too much of that on so many levels in our society. We are so impatient. We crave our instant news, instant reaction, and demand instant justice. There is no such thing. Making a sound judgement requires knowledge of the facts and careful consideration. Please allow those making the decisions in this case the time to do just that. When I am tempted to sit in judgement of others I try to remind myself of these words. "For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged." That always gives me chills.

• Fire 2