Should Keith Williams Be Fired?

Mavric

Keith Williams DUI  

169 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Probably a bit premature (in terms of the legal process) but it sure sounds like there isn't a lot of question about what happened early this morning.

Third Offense DUI though it does appear that it's been a few years since the previous offenses.

What's your opinion?

Edit: I did add a third option for "not sure yet." Like I said above, I don't like to presume guilt but it sure doesn't sound like there is much wiggle room in what happened this morning. But perhaps some might want to see what - if anything - he's actually convicted of.

I think it's really premature. DUI or not, you want to be as fair to the guy as possible. Certainly NU couldn't be blamed for letting him go. It's possible they'll look at the man and the context and find some framework to keep him, contingent on ___ and ___ and ___. They'll have a tough time doing that and not looking like they placed football over lives.

Even from a pure football standpoint, though, I'm not sure which is better for NU at this point.

DUIs are serious business. Don't do it, guys.

I don't think it is too premature to talk about outside of what happens in court. We know exactly what happened and we know of William's prior offenses. So I think this is a good thread. Second, without getting too personal, I'd like to say someone very, very close and dear to me received their third DUI in the past year, so I kind of know how this generally plays out both in a legal sense and in a mental health sense.

What needs to be done is what's best for the University and its students. This would be for Williams to be relieved of his duties. It will make for a safer environment for the student athletes, and it will make for a better culture for the football program and university. It just so happens, and also of importance, is that this will be best for Keith Williams. Speaking in generalities, someone who is that old and has three DUI's is very dependent upon alcohol and will almost never change, regardless of the consequences. I don't think Williams will change, but I'm for darn certain he won't if he has no repercussions from UNL.

With all that said, I hate... HATE how horrible this is for our football program. KW is the last person, outside of Riley and Armstrong, that this could have happened to. Our chances of landing Lyndsey go from 5% to 0%. Lewis goes from likely to a complete question mark. The five star transfer? Say goodbye to him. Calvin too. Who knows about Jaeveon and KJJ (who admittedly didn't come for KW). Of course this is bad press, so it's going to have at least a slight effect on non-WR recruits as well. F***. Right when we get a break. Right when we get a good recruiter. All of our momentum is suspended... We will see if it is all reversed or not.

• Fire 4

Considering he's going to be in jail when he should be coaching at practice tomorrow I'm not sure worrying about whether he's fired or not is the first priority, these WRs deserve a coach!

Most likely, he will be / has been let out. He won't have to go until his sentence begins, and this won't be until the court hears the entire matter, which a lawyers can drag out for at least a year.

*I'm no expert in law, but this was how it worked for the person I knew with three DUIs.

Considering he's going to be in jail when he should be coaching at practice tomorrow I'm not sure worrying about whether he's fired or not is the first priority, these WRs deserve a coach!

Most likely, he will be / has been let out. He won't have to go until his sentence begins, and this won't be until the court hears the entire matter, which a lawyers can drag out for at least a year.

*I'm no expert in law, but this was how it worked for the person I knew with three DUIs.

I believe he's being held in jail until his hearing on Monday which I obliviously don't know what time that is. I would then doubt he can come right over and start coaching.

I believe he's being held in jail until his hearing on Monday which I obliviously don't know what time that is. I would then doubt he can come right over and start coaching.

I just read in the other thread that because of his amount, which is enough for a felony, he is being held. You're right.

If Nebraska is anything like Ks, the 3rd DUI is a felony unless the first one was I think at least 10 years before then it falls off. If it is a felony DUI then he will be held on no bond until a judge can set a bond amount and then he will be able to post bail. after that it will be months before he ever steps foot in a court room unless he agrees to plead guilty and receive lesser fines/jail time. This is a really sad sad deal. KW is a great coach and great recruiter and from a football aspect it hurts the team pretty bad. However it sounds like he has a legit problem and could use some rehab and counseling to help him before he kills someone or himself driving drunk.

• Fire 4

If Nebraska is anything like Ks, the 3rd DUI is a felony unless the first one was I think at least 10 years before then it falls off. If it is a felony DUI then he will be held on no bond until a judge can set a bond amount and then he will be able to post bail. after that it will be months before he ever steps foot in a court room unless he agrees to plead guilty and receive lesser fines/jail time. This is a really sad sad deal. KW is a great coach and great recruiter and from a football aspect it hurts the team pretty bad. However it sounds like he has a legit problem and could use some rehab and counseling to help him before he kills someone or himself driving drunk.

Well put.

Yeah, 2:00 pm tomorrow. Will miss practice tomorrow morning (at least).

My first reaction is he should be fired. If the university somehow finds a compromise that allows him to get his life together, go through rehab and an extended probationary period with random tests and even house checks or gps tracking, I could possibly support that. Anything short of that kind of tough reaction, though, wouldn't be enough. And my intent is not to make the man miserable, but accountable. To himself, his family, the team and coaches, and most importantly to the school and wider society.

I hope the school finds a reasonable way to help him, but the understandable reaction is to fire him. Terribly unfortunate.