The Nebraska Way

I mean, he's not technically wrong. And truth be told he is saying what several people probably already thought. It's just a little unsettling when someone actually says it out loud.

He is saying what we all agree on. Beating women is bad, that's the jist of it. Also, it's good that she got payed for what happened to her, also good and we all agree on it.

I mean, he's not technically wrong. And truth be told he is saying what several people probably already thought. It's just a little unsettling when someone actually says it out loud.

He is saying what we all agree on. Beating women is bad, that's the jist of it. Also, it's good that she got payed for what happened to her, also good and we all agree on it.

uOL5JeG.jpg

uOL5JeG.jpg
Dude, beating up women is f'ing awful. Stop trying to make it out to be something it's not. Nobody wants to hear stories of abuse, period.

Your approach in here isn't helping.

• Fire 1

uOL5JeG.jpg
Dude, beating up women is f'ing awful. Stop trying to make it out to be something it's not. Nobody wants to hear stories of abuse, period.

Your approach in here isn't helping.

I'm not the one that downplayed the abuse to a "little bump on the head" or indicated that playing women's basketball is worse physically than taking on an NFL caliber RB in a fit of rage.

Holy cow! I leave for an hour and you fellas really moved the ball down the field on this thread! Way to go, guys!

First off, I didn't condone domestic violence. I said that Lawrence Phillips' behavior was a crime. I said it in the very post everyone is up in arms about.

So let's talk about this gem:

I suspect that even ex-girlfriend Kate McEwen was glad that Lawrence played in the Fiesta Bowl. She sued him in civil court and settled for a stake of his NFL earnings. Not a bad payday for a bump on the head and some heated words. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that LP did no wrong. What he did is considered a crime. But I am saying that stuff like this happens all the time—except nothing comes of it when they're poor.)

The issue being addressed was whether TO should have let Phillips play in view of what he'd done to Kate McEwen. And I pointed out that it was actually in Kate McEwen's best interest that he played, as it turned out, with the civil judgement and all.

Granted, my choice of wording was very poor ("Not a bad payday"), and LP's actions were criminal (as I said in my post). But you also have to remember that Kate McEwen was a college athlete and likely received injuries as bad or even worse that that on the basketball court. (And before any of you get on a high horse with a new strawman for me to address, No, I am not saying it's okay to beat up college athletes just because they're used to playing a little rougher than the rest of us.)

Given your previous poor choice of words, I wouldn't have doubled-down on this dangerously flawed premise. But that's just me.

• Fire 3

If 84hsukerlaw would have posted the same words NUance has used in this thread there'd be ten pages of outrage.Don't turn a blind eye to the words that were said because someone you like said them.

Fair point.

I just think that given his track record as a level headed person, the overall message of his post isn't as negative as it's being made out to be.

If 84hsukerlaw would have posted the same words NUance has used in this thread there'd be ten pages of outrage.Don't turn a blind eye to the words that were said because someone you like said them.

Fair point.

I just think that given his track record as a level headed person, the overall message of his post isn't as negative as it's being made out to be.

It's as negative as it is on its own merits. The fact that NUance is typically a very level-headed person simply makes it shocking.