AJ Bush Transfering - IWCC, then Virginia Tech, now Illinois

People are so silly in their conclusions.

Is it surprising that QBs recruited for one system would leave (ala Tanner Lee) when the system changes? Attrition like that isn't even unusual when there's no upheaval.

TO QB recruits from '88-'91:

Bart James - never lettered

Mike Grant - 3 letters, but no honors

Marvin Callies - never lettered

Todd Gragnano - never lettered

Matt Jones - never lettered

Berringer - 4 letters and consummate great backup

Chester Johnson - 3 letters at receiver

Tony Veland - 3 letters at safety

It is amusing to watch people flail about this when the majority of them are the ones who have argued day in and day or that Riley needs time to get a QB for his system.

Classic example of uninformed critics latching onto random stat pulled out of thin air with zero context.

Confirmation bias rears its head again.

There's a reason, relatively speaking, why Nebraska wasn't very successful from 1988 to 1991.

I disagree with your assessment of those years' success. But even accepting it, a QB recruited in '90, for example, wouldn't have been playing in most cases those years anyway. Recruiting is a lagging indicator.

Seeing this answers a lot of questions! I guess I never really put it together how bad the previous regime dos with the QB position!!!

So how is it Pelini's fault if a guy transfers during Riley's tenure?
Transferring isn't, depth is.

Yeah... Why didn't the previous staff recruit QBs to run an outmoded and dying offensive system....

You guys are silly. On one hand you claim Riley inherited QBs not suited to run his system, which is why a 4 star 2-year starter struggled at times. And then you also argue that is the old staff's fault there's no depth.

But for the change in system, there would be depth.

It amazes me sometimes the 'logic' of some of the comments on this board such as attacking my criticism of guys transferring out of a big time school in the middle of their 4 years becasue they aren't starting but then to turn around and be excited when some other school's third string junior QB wants to transfer in to Nebraska. ? Like trading baseball cards or something? We give up AJ Bush and get Tanner Lee. Maybe that is something that becomes a 'net gain' for all concerned but then again who knows. Changing colleges is rather drastic for a student who is NOT a football player but may well create issues academically as well. A third string QB (Bush in this case) whom many of you say flat out won't ever play at Nebraska (apparently he is not a good enough QB?) is somehow going to magically become a good QB at some other top school? Why? I am happy for guys who finish school and move on with their adult lives in whatever way possible.

• Fire 1

Is it surprising that QBs recruited for one system would leave (ala Tanner Lee) when the system changes? Attrition like that isn't even unusual when there's no upheaval.

It is amusing to watch people flail about this when the majority of them are the ones who have argued day in and day or that Riley needs time to get a QB for his system.

Classic example of uninformed critics latching onto random stat pulled out of thin air with zero context.

There's a reason, relatively speaking, why Nebraska wasn't very successful from 1988 to 1991.

I disagree with your assessment of those years' success. But even accepting it, a QB recruited in '90, for example, wouldn't have been playing in most cases those years anyway. Recruiting is a lagging indicator.

That's why I said "relative"; comparative to the previous 4 years or the successive 4 years, that time period could be considered "down years".

It amazes me sometimes the 'logic' of some of the comments on this board such as attacking my criticism of guys transferring out of a big time school in the middle of their 4 years becasue they aren't starting but then to turn around and be excited when some other school's third string junior QB wants to transfer in to Nebraska. ? Like trading baseball cards or something? We give up AJ Bush and get Tanner Lee. Maybe that is something that becomes a 'net gain' for all concerned but then again who knows. Changing colleges is rather drastic for a student who is NOT a football player but may well create issues academically as well. A third string QB (Bush in this case) whom many of you say flat out won't ever play at Nebraska (apparently he is not a good enough QB?) is somehow going to magically become a good QB at some other top school? Why? I am happy for guys who finish school and move on with their adult lives in whatever way possible.

That's easy: fit. Some kids are better fits at different schools. Baker Mayfield, Cam Newton, Scott Frost; all players who were better fits, for one reason or another, at their destination schools rather than their first.

I can't speak for everyone in this thread but most of the responses I have seen have been positive. The "good luck Bush, we wish you well" one line posts are mostly ignored. Will he light it up at another school? Maybe, maybe not, but I hope he is happy and successful wherever he lands. As others in this thread have said, this isn't the offense for him, perhaps in better circumstances he can thrive. Also, it can be fun to watch. I actually got excited to see Cody Green play for Tulsa, would I have given two craps about Tulsa had Green not spent time at Nebraska? nope.

In other words this means I might get the chance to see Bush play in an offense that is more suited for him and give me a reason to watch a team play that I otherwise wouldn't.

As for getting overly excited about Tanner Lee, I'm not. I've long ago learned to temper my excitement esp. when it comes to QB's. Him transferring here makes for a more interesting story line, and I look forward to seeing him play, but no one knows what's going happen, isn't that why we watch?

• Fire 1

That's why I said "relative"; comparative to the previous 4 years or the successive 4 years, that time period could be considered "down years".

Yes, but then by that theory, we should look at the 2 to 4 recruiting classes proceeding that cycle.

Anyway, the point is, without context that list posted by the recruitnik "reporter" is pretty meaningless and obviously designed to incite just these sorts of arguments.

Seeing this answers a lot of questions! I guess I never really put it together how bad the previous regime dos with the QB position!!!

So how is it Pelini's fault if a guy transfers during Riley's tenure?

Oh nothing in the world is pelini's fault - it just shows, as a group, the type of players that he recruited at QB

• Mavric changed the title to AJ Bush Transfering - IWCC, then Virginia Tech, now Illinois