Derrion Grim leaving

True freshman wide receiver Derrion Grim will depart the Husker football program before playing a snap.

LaTef Grim confirmed to the Journal Star his son is leaving the program and is planning to fly home to California on Thursday.

"He was uncomfortable there," LaTef said. "This isn't the first incident. He wanted to leave in the spring. Coaches talked to him ... and it got to a point now where he was calling me through camp. And I was like, 'This is camp.' I thought it was camp life.

"But at the end of the day, if you kind of know Derrion, you know he's a little different. If a dude's not comfortable, a dude's not comfortable. It got to a point where I said, 'OK, enough is enough.'"

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/freshman-grim-leaving-after-not-feeling-comfortable-in-husker-program/article_ec4afbb0-6a79-11e6-b19d-f31034f813b4.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Well best of luck to him on both finding a new school and feeling comfortable where he ends up. I guess I do not see the whole homesick feeling as much since I was a military brat as a kid then joined the military myself. However, I do know what its like to want that feeling of comfort in the decisions you make and if it isn't a good fit then move on for sure.

From what I am reading, it sounds like he just didn't fit in. I remember watching a video of Westerkamp and him calling "Cherry" a "weird little kid". The "this is camp" talk is pretty telling, and the 2 goodbye tweets I saw were from other Freshmen. I hate to see a young man with his talent leave the program, but at least WR is a position where his departure will hurt little, if any.

Best of luck in the future Derrion and thanks for giving DONU a shot!

If in fact he was thinking of leaving in the spring, I'm guessing that enrolling last semester was a problem. It has to be tough showing up in January when all your friends are still in HS. He didn't know anyone and didn't have a fellow freshman support system (besides POB) to lean on. He also turns 18 next week, so he is young for his grade. I wonder if it would have turned out differently if he had finished HS in the spring and then showed up over the summer?

It's too bad, but if his heart isn't in it then its for the best that he leaves now to open up practice reps for someone else.

Best of luck to him in his future endeavors.

• Fire 2