Nebraska recruiting/roster maps, by coach

Wow, nice work! Lots of inferences can be made from these. A picture is worth a thousand data points, so to speak.

Hard to read on my phone, so I'll have to look more at this later. Really striking how many Nebraska kids were on those 90's teams, though. I had forgotten how many California players Callahan had (if I am reading it right), and how hard Pelini hit Texas.

Used to like the kids we would get from NJ in the 90s. Crazy to think how many good players were from NE and how that isn't the case anymore.

C'mon Nebraska parents! You have to start filling the gene pool with better stuff!

I always get irate when people complain about when a HS coach doesn't win enough. They can't recruit (sort of) so they are limited to what genetics has given them. Well most coaches anyways.

One thing I just noticed is the fact that TO had guys on the roster from almost every state. He was less concentrated in regions, and truly cast a wide net (while having the highest # of NE kids).

I also like the fact that this sample puts TO in a similar number of years to Solich and Bo. I hope that after a few more years we see Riley's map expand in state # represented, and less "ignored" areas (like OK for Bo)

One thing I just noticed is the fact that TO had guys on the roster from almost every state. He was less concentrated in regions, and truly cast a wide net (while having the highest # of NE kids).

I also like the fact that this sample puts TO in a similar number of years to Solich and Bo. I hope that after a few more years we see Riley's map expand in state # represented, and less "ignored" areas (like OK for Bo)

Most of that was because during his time only select few teams were on TV. Back then players wouldn't mind waiting two years to play at a school like Nebraska because they would have a good chance of getting noticed by NFL scouts and get invited to the NFL Combine. Since the late 90's every team is on TV and now those same kids can to go the Iowa State's of the world and play right away, get on TV and make it to the NFL. That is why it is harder to recruit in today's era than it was during Tom's.

Don't know why but I thought Osborne would have had more from Florida.

I was surprised too but I think we just feel that way because Frazier was so important.

But, 2.36% if his recruits were from Florida. If you delete Nebraska that's about 5% from Florida and there are 48 other states. It was still in his top 10 states.

Used to like the kids we would get from NJ in the 90s. Crazy to think how many good players were from NE and how that isn't the case anymore.

C'mon Nebraska parents! You have to start filling the gene pool with better stuff!

I always get irate when people complain about when a HS coach doesn't win enough. They can't recruit (sort of) so they are limited to what genetics has given them. Well most coaches anyways.

They're also limited to the amount of funding their high school gym gets. And I believe I read somewhere that some of the top high schools even have nutritionists.