Colin Kaepernick: dbag or not?

Hmmmm interesting. I think ole Kaep is a little confussed and is looking for attention

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/colin-kaepernick-49ers-refs-racial-slur-bears-loss-fine-092114

After throwing an interception that set up a Bears touchdown, Kaepernick allegedly used a racial slur, according to the refs.

Kaepernick was fined more than $11k for the alleged slur, but denied saying anything.

Everything but he first part, yes. They arguably don't have the same stage he does though.

He has a view point, sure it's a bit misguided, but I wouldn't say he's bashing the country. He's just not proud of it right now. As are millions of others.

Fair enough, I'm just not willing to take this whole BLM movement seriously until they recognize there are across the board African-Americans being killed. Not just the ones that are killed by police, those are awfully convenient deaths to grab onto and try and build a foundation on, hence my cherry picking comment and my thoughts towards their agenda and what they are truly trying to do. Where's the protests for black on black killings? Where's the protests for the black police officers that have been killed? Where's the calling for the black community to change some of their societal trends to help with some of these racial issues? (black fathers helping raise their children, keeping these kids away from the gang life and criminal life, etc.) I don't expect answers to those questions from anyone here, just trying to make a point. Colin Kaepernick really has no idea what he's talking about in my opinion. This whole "movement" has done nothing, but create more racial tensions than it's solving and everytime there is a black male killed by police it's automatically wrong and the police shouldn't have done anything, at least that's how the news, if you can call it that anymore, report the situations.

• Fire 3

"If you don't like it, then leave!" is a pretty dismissive and elementary response that doesn't really facilitate meaningful conversation. Not to mention it doesn't actually even bother to refute the argument made.

If Kaepernick really believes what he's saying he believes, why the hell would he leave the country instead of try to fix it? If I see a girl getting raped at a party and I don't approve, should I stop the rape or should I go to a party where people aren't raping women?

"If you don't like it, then leave!" is a pretty dismissive and elementary response that doesn't really facilitate meaningful conversation. Not to mention it doesn't actually even bother to refute the argument made.

If Kaepernick really believes what he's saying he believes, why the hell would he leave the country instead of try to fix it? If I see a girl getting raped at a party and I don't approve, should I stop the rape or should I go to a party where people aren't raping women?

Can't be a meaningful conversation when only one side is willing to listen to the argument. That can be twisted towards one side or the other, but it appears to me that no one from the BLM side is willing to listen to the why from the police side. The police side has tried to work with the BLM folks all over the nation from border to border and bent over backwards for those protests to only have them go south. Society has to change as well as the police, I've said that time and time again, but the finger is ALWAYS pointed towards the police. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this issue isn't nearly as big as the issues with black-on-black killings and the societal issues the black community has, if those issues could be solved now you're really on your way to fixing things. Listen to Kaepernick's statement, it's all blame on the police, that's what I'm picking up from it anyways. Any use of force on African-Americans is instantly wrong anymore or at least that's the knee jerk reaction until the facts start to trickle out.

Well if he feels that strongly, then find a different way to protest. Men and women of all colors and faiths have died for the country that our flag represents. As the cartoon shows, he can give up his paycheck for income inequality as one example. Stop making excuses for the guy.

Well if he feels that strongly, then find a different way to protest. Men and women of all colors and faiths have died for the country that our flag represents. As the cartoon shows, he can give up his paycheck for income inequality as one example. Stop making excuses for the guy.

That flag also represents this country as a whole, and while that includes their sacrifices, it does not exclude it's blemishes.

Everything but he first part, yes. They arguably don't have the same stage he does though.

He has a view point, sure it's a bit misguided, but I wouldn't say he's bashing the country. He's just not proud of it right now. As are millions of others.

Fair enough, I'm just not willing to take this whole BLM movement seriously until they recognize there are across the board African-Americans being killed. Not just the ones that are killed by police, those are awfully convenient deaths to grab onto and try and build a foundation on, hence my cherry picking comment and my thoughts towards their agenda and what they are truly trying to do. Where's the protests for black on black killings? Where's the protests for the black police officers that have been killed? Where's the calling for the black community to change some of their societal trends to help with some of these racial issues? (black fathers helping raise their children, keeping these kids away from the gang life and criminal life, etc.) I don't expect answers to those questions from anyone here, just trying to make a point. Colin Kaepernick really has no idea what he's talking about in my opinion. This whole "movement" has done nothing, but create more racial tensions than it's solving and everytime there is a black male killed by police it's automatically wrong and the police shouldn't have done anything, at least that's how the news, if you can call it that anymore, report the situations.
+1 All valid points.

That flag also represents this country as a whole, and while that includes their sacrifices, it does not exclude it's blemishes.

So you are defending his actions then? While everyone certainly can express themselves however they want, the question is whether you agree with his actions. I don't, and most others don't. Do you?

So you are defending his actions then? While everyone certainly can express themselves however they want, the question is whether you agree with his actions. I don't, and most others don't. Do you?

I never said I agreed with his actions, I don't. That doesn't make them wrong, or disrespectful to anyones sacrifice. That wasn't his point, he's not protesting their sacrifice. He's protesting his country (supposedly...). Like I said, the flag represents more than sacrifices. I don't think he needs to find a new country because of this either.

the question is whether you disagree. if you do that's fine. but if you don't, it doesn't mean that you agree.

i have no opinion or care on his actions. they don't bother me, affect me, or concern me. he's totally free to act how he sees fit and that's good for him, he should act how he wants to. no big deal.

Can't be a meaningful conversation when only one side is willing to listen to the argument. That can be twisted towards one side or the other, but it appears to me that no one from the BLM side is willing to listen to the why from the police side. The police side has tried to work with the BLM folks all over the nation from border to border and bent over backwards for those protests to only have them go south. Society has to change as well as the police, I've said that time and time again, but the finger is ALWAYS pointed towards the police. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this issue isn't nearly as big as the issues with black-on-black killings and the societal issues the black community has, if those issues could be solved now you're really on your way to fixing things. Listen to Kaepernick's statement, it's all blame on the police, that's what I'm picking up from it anyways. Any use of force on African-Americans is instantly wrong anymore or at least that's the knee jerk reaction until the facts start to trickle out.

Agree with a few things you've posted in this thread, but a couple of points.

First, people are protesting the black-on-black killings, particularly in places like Chicago, where moms and families have rallied to keep their kids alive. It's even happened in Omaha. However, and forgive my language here, but that isn't nearly as fun or interesting to people as police on black killings or white on black violence. I do not literally mean there is anything "fun" about that - my point is people just really enjoy engaging in that particular debate and it gets far more media attention because of this. But, because you or other people don't see it, that doesn't mean it isn't happening. There are also thousands of people across this country working tirelessly to improve conditions in the black community. But, you are right - black on black killings and societal issues are a big concern that seemingly gets forgotten and instead shifted toward police.

Second, and per another post of yours, I would argue CK's choice did accomplish something - it got people talking. I don't agree with the manner in which he went about it, personally, but I would argue it did do some of what he was hoping it would do.

• Fire 1