Depth Chart for Fresno State

knapplc

Matt Synder 6th string? Is he injured again?

Three of the guys ahead of him are seniors who all have quality game experience. Nothing wrong with being behind them.

I think his injury last year hampered his body and strength development, which is key for a TE. Hopefully Snyder will be able to get in the weight room and be a contributor for 2017.

I guess I was just expecting to see him no lower than 4th on the depth chart. No disrespect to Hoppes or Ketter, but I don't remember hearing their names during camp.

Little shocked that Newby is listed ahead of Ozigbo and without the "Or".

Riley and Langsdorf will always go with the RB who is best in the pass game. Ozigbo may end up with more carries this year or may end up being the #1 guy later this season, but Riley and Langsdorf want that versatility at RB.

From what I saw last year from running and catching. Gimme Ozigbo

I would also rather have Ozigbo, but we aren't Riley or Langsdorf. They have different thoughts on the RB position that most of us on this board.

We are going to be a run-based offense. Right? I mean you bring in a tight end and a fullback. And then you play tight to the LOS and use play action fakes to create time for the QB in the pass game. You don't need to have backs help on the rush as much in that circumstance. Unless Riley is full of it and plans to abandon the run and pass it all the time.

That's what we are all fearing. Let's face facts.

It could very well be that Newby ahead of Devine is a tip of the hat toward the pass over the run.

And the first "Riley is secretly plotting for Nebraska to fail" post. brilliantly pathetic!

Little shocked that Newby is listed ahead of Ozigbo and without the "Or".

Riley and Langsdorf will always go with the RB who is best in the pass game. Ozigbo may end up with more carries this year or may end up being the #1 guy later this season, but Riley and Langsdorf want that versatility at RB.

From what I saw last year from running and catching. Gimme Ozigbo

I would also rather have Ozigbo, but we aren't Riley or Langsdorf. They have different thoughts on the RB position that most of us on this board.

We are going to be a run-based offense. Right? I mean you bring in a tight end and a fullback. And then you play tight to the LOS and use play action fakes to create time for the QB in the pass game. You don't need to have backs help on the rush as much in that circumstance. Unless Riley is full of it and plans to abandon the run and pass it all the time.

That's what we are all fearing. Let's face facts.

It could very well be that Newby ahead of Devine is a tip of the hat toward the pass over the run.

And the first "Riley is secretly plotting for Nebraska to fail" post. brilliantly pathetic!

Nobody said that.

He in in effect saying that Riley is lying about running wanting to run the ball more. He says we are all fearing this will happen. We are not! I stand by it, a pathetic post It could very well be that Newby ahead of Devine is a tip of the hat toward the pass over the run.​

He in in effect saying that Riley is lying about running wanting to run the ball more. He says we are all fearing this will happen. We are not! I stand by it, a pathetic post It could very well be that Newby ahead of Devine is a tip of the hat toward the pass over the run.​

Nah, based on last year's pre-season speak and in season results, his premise is solid. Your assertion that people are saying that "Riley is secretly plotting to fail" is absurd.

• Fire 1

If he uses the backs like he did in the bowl game, I am OK with seeing free substitutions to keep them fresh, happy and aggressive. I thought Cross and Zig were dynamic vs UCLA and I am quite sure those Bruins were pretty much sick of the pounding we laid on them in the 4th quarter (sooner actually). Now, Newby is the senior and I would expect that seniors and experience are getting lots of weight in the season opener. We want to not shoot ourselves in the foot with lots of silly youthful mistakes. We have got to be 40 points better than Fresno whether we play a marginally better soph over a seasoned veteran to start the game or not. Play error free and tough and give em a good 'roughin up' and we should win convincingly and get the season started right this time.

By game three, the nerves should be fairly settled and we will need everything to work perfectly to beat those Ducks.

Newby is faster and reports suggest he is a little stronger and running harder - he needs to if he wants to play more. Fresno may not have the team speed that UCLA had so we may well be able to run wide more successfully without the reverses and trickery, etc. Let's hope Newby can turn the corner and break a couple long ones. Newby is supposed to be able catch the ball. We know Zig can and Wilbon should signs (we need to see him in action). Tre Bryant is a player - without doubt - one of the better recruits last year. He has loads of upside. I think he might be the best RB recruit in a long time (along with Abdullah - a different style).

I wouldn't read too much in our most experienced running back, who averaged 5.2 yards a carry along with excellent ball security, getting the starting nod for the first game of his Senior year.

I believe Devine Ozigbo is a Mike Riley recruit and I don't think Mike is going to withhold Ozigbo as part of his nefarious plan to undermine the rushing game.

There were plenty of years in the Husker past where a platoon of RBs competed for playing time, although the season typically ended with a single featured back.

That could just as easily be Tre Bryant as Newby or Ozigbo.

• Fire 3

Here's a better version of that:

EKVV2yy.png

I get that Sam is trying to make a point, but I am not sure what good it is going to do. If you went back and looked at the NU depth chart from 1997 you would see a lot of former walk-ons on it and there would be a ton of pride in seeing that.