What did we learn-Fresno St edition

JJ Husker

We're miles ahead of where we ended lasted year but still have some work to do.

Might as well just accept that guys are going to get penalized and ejected for playing the game correctly.

Finally got some 2nd and 3rd team players game experience, the way we want to.

Ozigbo runs hard and we've got Tre Bryant for a long time, and that looks to be a very good thing.

• Fire 1

Might as well just accept that guy's are gking to get penalized and ejected for playing the game correctly.

Ozigbo runs hard and we've got Tre Bryant for a long time.

Disagree on the bold. A real QB will shred this team, which was a problem last year, although the staff finally seemed to settle on how they want to run the ball which should help this team.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but the targeting rule was the right call. Gifford hit the QB with his helmet, it doesn't matter if it was not intentional or if it wasn't severe. It's targeting and was enforced according to the rule.

Great to see a 0 turnover game.

• Fire 4

Might as well just accept that guy's are gking to get penalized and ejected for playing the game correctly.

Disagree on the bold. A real QB will shred this team, which was a problem last year, although the staff finally seemed to settle on how they want to run the ball which should help this team.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but the targeting rule was the right call. Gifford hit the QB with his helmet, it doesn't matter if it was not intentional or if it wasn't severe. It's targeting and was enforced according to the rule.

lol first game of the season and your going to use speculation as the only basis for your argument.

1. The staff is willing to listen to the fans. They ran a hell of a lot, gave Tommy a lot of bootleg runs, and played backups for half a quarter. I love the running as much as anyone, but they seemed to give in to the fans too much. If there was any week I'd forgive them for being pass happy, it'd be when DPJ and other big receivers are on OVs. Still like it, though.

2. We are at least four deep at half back. I'm not a fan of Newby, but the other three are legit AF.

3. Kieron Williams is a great player in the making. Has a good sense of where the ball is and plays fast.

4. Banker's plans to make up for the dline's lack of explosion is to blitz. A lot.

5. Lamar Jackson is going to see the field a ton this season. He needs to ease up on the cushion, but he looks the part.

• Fire 1

We apparently still pay a special teams coach for something.

Westy has 27 consecutive games with a catch (close to ending the streak tonight...)

I-backs look solid!

Tommy can still throw a yolo bombs

Secondary is still sketchy, but was missing a big leader.

We're not allowed to hit the other team hard...

Zac Darlingtom ain't never scurd!

You better be up by 21 points at the end of the first half because apparently some posters think the second half doesn't exist anymore.

Quarters coverage. Blegh. Still, pass defense is far ahead of where it was from last year at this time.

Flawless game plan on offense for TA. Just wish we spread the ball out more.

Pass rush needs help. Run D was solid.

All the RBs looked great, as did the line.

+2 in TOs. yay

• Fire 1

Fantastic game from the defense. They played confident, aggressive, and disciplined. They really got after it, even after some lapses and being hung out to dry some by the other phases of our team. And we saw some absolutely slobberknocking hits tonight. Maybe this iteration of the Blackshirts will be a good one.

Ozigbo runs like a mean son of a gun for a guy his size. Very physical as well.

TA had a good game. Saw no typical Tommy WTF throws, which was very nice.

Read is massively overpaid.

Overall, great start. Let's keep the momentum rolling.

I learned Lamar Jackson looks the part, now if we ran press coverage to utilize 6'3'' 210 we'd be in business. QBs with a grasp of defenses will still complete passes against us. With that being said, different blitzes seemed to be effective. DL/LBs looked stout against the run.

Offense will be interesting, could be good but will continue to be extremely streaky.

1. The staff is willing to listen to the fans. They ran a hell of a lot, gave Tommy a lot of bootleg runs, and played backups for half a quarter. I love the running as much as anyone, but they seemed to give in to the fans too much. If there was any week I'd forgive them for being pass happy, it'd be when DPJ and other big receivers are on OVs. Still like it, though.

2. We are at least four deep at half back. I'm not a fan of Newby, but the other three are legit AF.

3. Kieron Williams is a great player in the making. Has a good sense of where the ball is and plays fast.

4. Banker's plans to make up for the dline's lack of explosion is to blitz. A lot.

5. Lamar Jackson is going to see the field a ton this season. He needs to ease up on the cushion, but he looks the part.

I uhhh hope the staff is not allowing fans to dictate their game plan. But honestly that already happened last year between the Illinois and Wisconsin games last year.

"Crap, passing on the last series lost it for us. Do the exact opposite against Wisconsin when one first down wins the game!!!!!"

• Fire 1

Well I disagree with your disagreement.

No where did I say our pass defense doesn't have room for improvement. And the biggest improvements I did see had to do with offensive play calling, establishing the run and pounding the rock. That is what made it pssible for a couple of those passes, especially the long one for a touchdown. And that in turn causes the D to hesitate slightly on run support. It's a win win situation that we did not employ last year.

Also, I never said either of those were not targeting penalties. However, I don't believe either of them should be, and if I had to choose, I would've said the 2nd one was and the first wasn't. But then again I liked when football was a actually a contact sport. But I'm done getting upset over it, thus my comment that we'll just have to accept that it's probably going to happen virtually every game. Neither of our guys did it with intent and somebody would have to explain to me how either of those guys do their job without potentially getting called for it. I think the review should look for intent but that's jmo.

You really think them running the ball is based on fan feedback? Hate to break it to you, but No.

• Fire 4

Wasn't the prettiest game but they played winning football. Were +2 in the TO dept largely because of being conservative on offense. They could have opened it up and gotten more yards/points but they would have opened themselves up to turnovers and possibly gotten in a dogfight like some other teams got into this weekend, and we got into last year.

Need to start Ozigbo