Newby vs. Ozigbo - who should start & who should see the most carries

Enhance

Kind of felt like Newby should have seen more carries today. Not more than Oz necessarily, but more than he did.

Bryant ended up with more carries than Newby, but he was also the closer when the game was out of reach. Good to see him get some time early though.

Ozigbo got the start if I'm not mistaken.

I like Armstrong running, but not a fan of the QB sweeps that they kept on calling today. I would like to see some pass-run option and bootlegs with Tommy. I think Langsdorf could design plays that like, considering they don't exactly excel elsewhere in the QB run game design.

I was particularly disappointed with some of our play calling choices on 2nd down. We had a lot of 5-plus yard gains on 1st down with runs between the tackles, but then would elect to pass on second or would avoid the downhill running game.

Wyoming was having a lot of success defensively in the trenches, and you obviously don't want to be predictable. But, my gut reaction was that we were trying to be too cute on 2nd down.

I thought Newby ran well today. Both him and Ozigbo did a good job with their screen plays. Newby saved Tommy on one third down catch out of the backfield that was poorly thrown but he caught it and got the first.

I thought they both had pretty good games today also, running and receiving.

I'm a huge Oz fan. He was great when he got the rare opportunity to play last year. He seems to be a bit stiffer this year, but he's still the best back.

Not a fan of Newby. But he played well today. He obviously needs to be used almost exclusively on outside runs and screens. He runs the screen as good as any Husker since Cory Ross.

Next year we will run a pass heavy offense with PoB and our needs from the HB position will change. We will need a pass blocking and receiving back more than ever. If Newby didn't graduate, he would be Patrick's best friend out there. And though I like Oz, Tre will probably fit the new offense better. He just seems so well rounded.

40 TIMES DON'T MEAN sh#t WHEN YOU STRAP THE PADS ON.

I can't say yes or no to this, but I know that Jerry Gdowski could only be run down from behind consistently in practice by one other Cornhusker...Kenny Walker*. According to 40 times, Gdowski should have been able to be caught by several others, one of them NOT being Kenny Walker.

That being said quicker is always better than slower, unless one is running the wrong way.

*You younger guys go look these two players up if you don't know who they are.

I'm a huge Oz fan. He was great when he got the rare opportunity to play last year. He seems to be a bit stiffer this year, but he's still the best back.

Not a fan of Newby. But he played well today. He obviously needs to be used almost exclusively on outside runs and screens. He runs the screen as good as any Husker since Cory Ross.

Next year we will run a pass heavy offense with PoB and our needs from the HB position will change. We will need a pass blocking and receiving back more than ever. If Newby didn't graduate, he would be Patrick's best friend out there. And though I like Oz, Tre will probably fit the new offense better. He just seems so well rounded.

I'm betting on Tanner Lee to be the starter next year. Maybe one of the younger guys beats him out sometime during the year, but my money (if I was a betting man) would be on Tanner Lee to start at least the first few games.

Oz got bit by the don't-give-him-a-chance play calling today. Averaged 2.9 ypc on 14 carries.

Newby averaged 5.0 but only got four chances.

Ozigbo's ypc can at least in part be explained by less than stellar offensive line play this week compared to last week.

I'm not going to say they had a great week. But there isn't much to work with when you have to try to run in straight into the heart of the defense most of the time.

So Riley said the coaches counted 30 middle blitzes from Wyoming.

And apparently we still couldn't figure out to try to run outside.

We ripped off some big screens because of the blitzes, but yeah, you would think they'd look at the obvious. The main "problem" with running was that Bohl sold out to stop it and left the pass 400 yards open. We're still talking about mighty Wyoming here.

How on earth did we get 550 yards on 78 plays?

I mean ... these type of comments are getting really old.

If you think how we played is all the better we can play and it'll be good enough to beat Oregon, Wisconsin, Ohio State and whoever we play in the B1G championship, that's great for you.

But otherwise why can't we also talk about things that can be done better?