Newby vs. Ozigbo - who should start & who should see the most carries

Enhance

I think at this point the discussion is no longer why do so many of us prefer Ozigbo over Newby, but rather what the hell does Blitzfirst have against Ozigbo?

I have nothing against Ozigbo. I just think both backs complement each other with different running styles. We haven't really given Newby a good chance yet...and I'm not sure why.

Oz is a good power back. He's slower than any back we have on roster, but he's definitely more powerful than any of them and he has great hands. I think that the 'thunder and lightning' approach can be quite successful...but thus far, the coaches have been running our lightning back with thunder plays. It's pretty amazing that Newby, who wasn't good after contact last year, is running the way he is...because he's night and day different this year.

So my arguing for Newby to get more carries does not equal me saying Ozigbo is a bad back or sucks.

What evidence have we seen this year that suggests Newby is night and day different? His YPC is .2 greater than last year.

• Fire 1

I think we got used to a 12-1600 yd back every year and that's a benchmark of great stats.

Our former running game was about deception and timing: traps, counters, options wherein 1 defender missed his key and we could break it. A lot of times, and I mean A LOT of times our fullback was stuffed or our QB ran out of bounds on an option where the defenders did their job and took away the QB and pitchman--for a Quarter or two.

Our running game now is much less deceptive and repetitive (waiting until they were pounded and then missed their assignment in the 3rd qtr after being sound in qtrs 1-2) then our previous running game.

It's why it's easy for coaches to abandon the running game because we don't wait for the defense to tire out or "out scheme" them. If we're not getting a great push or a great RB doesn't see all the holes, designed or not, we can just pass the ball for yardage, so they say.

It's a philosophy and an approach: patience, timing, scheme, and more patience. Sometimes it worked to perfection but we all remember getting STUFFED by faster more disciplined defenses plenty of times.

I'd like to see (since we'll never go back to a true trap/counter/option run based offense) a very creative and tricky run game as a base and a "dink and dunk" passing game; which is still ball control and "simple" on its reads but has the potential to really click and keep a defense completely off balance. Never relying fully on a single RB, QB, or WR, but definitely relying on a skilled and mature OL; along w coaches who stick to it as a lifestyle with the patience to allow execution without abandoning one facet of the offense.

I think we will once we get a QB who will be accurate enough and survey's the field. TA isn't that type of QB partly of it because he wants to make the big play every time and rarely looks at the under routes. That other part of it is that he didn't get much QB coaching at all until last year.

Honestly the way we are utilizing the RB's makes me thrilled. Right now Newby is getting early carries every game. That eventually shifts into Ozigbo getting a bulk of them. It makes it clear who the main RB is, but it keeps the next guy primed in the event the main guy can't go in.

Tre Bryant getting snaps later is also nice, dude just has to shake off the fumbleitis.

I haven't read everything in this thread, but after glancing over the last couple of pages I just want to say that I think it's awesome that we're even having this discussion. Sure, we were spoiled by the likes of Helu / Burkhead / Abdullah, but this year we have four options at running back. Four!

We're spoiled. In years past we were wondering if we could even win games without Burkhead or Abdullah. Now (as we saw last weekend) if someone gets dinged up we don't have to run them into the ground until they're injured for real. Newby was having some issues so Ozigbo picked up the slack. Awesome.

• Fire 1

I see virtually no difference. I think people just got carried away with exaggerating how bad he was last season.

His biggest problem last season was the coaches were trying to use him as an every down back, and he clearly isn't one.

Try to force him back into that role and I suspect we'll see "bad" Newby again.

I would argue he needs more reception opportunities, however.

• Fire 2

I'm not seeing the night and day difference in Newby. Sorry.

Just a good running back who looks a little better now that he's healthy and the OL seems to be gelling.

I'm not the only one who has observed that the coaches have decided to give the bulk of carries to Devine Ozigbo, and the arrangement seems to be working.

His vision has improved and he's not as tentative to hit the open gap as he was last year. He dances less and goes forward instead. He's picking up more yards after contact than he has in all 3 of his previous seasons combined.

Come on man, don't sell his accomplishments short just because you want to prove your opinion.

Newby HAS NOT been getting carries but his performance when he does warrants more.

"he's pickup up more yards after contact than he has in all 3..... - is a very true statement, however that is the exact reason that he isn't getting more carries. The guy in front of him not only continues to run a greater distance after contact - he also falls forward an additional yard every time. Those extra feet and inches move the chains and wear down the defense.

• Fire 2

I'm not seeing the night and day difference in Newby. Sorry.

Just a good running back who looks a little better now that he's healthy and the OL seems to be gelling.

I'm not the only one who has observed that the coaches have decided to give the bulk of carries to Devine Ozigbo, and the arrangement seems to be working.

His vision has improved and he's not as tentative to hit the open gap as he was last year. He dances less and goes forward instead. He's picking up more yards after contact than he has in all 3 of his previous seasons combined.

Come on man, don't sell his accomplishments short just because you want to prove your opinion.

Newby HAS NOT been getting carries but his performance when he does warrants more.

I think you are reaching a bit based off the small sample size Newby has given us.

I truly hope we run him and Ozigbo 50-50 against NW so we can squash this debate.

I think at this point the discussion is no longer why do so many of us prefer Ozigbo over Newby, but rather what the hell does Blitzfirst have against Ozigbo?

I have nothing against Ozigbo. I just think both backs complement each other with different running styles. We haven't really given Newby a good chance yet...and I'm not sure why.

Oz is a good power back. He's slower than any back we have on roster, but he's definitely more powerful than any of them and he has great hands. I think that the 'thunder and lightning' approach can be quite successful...but thus far, the coaches have been running our lightning back with thunder plays. It's pretty amazing that Newby, who wasn't good after contact last year, is running the way he is...because he's night and day different this year.

So my arguing for Newby to get more carries does not equal me saying Ozigbo is a bad back or sucks.

What evidence have we seen this year that suggests Newby is night and day different? His YPC is .2 greater than last year.

If you can't tell the way he is running this year is different than last year just by watching the games, you have no place in this conversation. I'm not the only one that has observed this, others have commented on the same.

You didn't answer the question.

Again, what evidence have we seen this year that suggests a "night and day difference" as you put it? "Night and day" means a substantial or drastic change.

I've been one of those people who have commented that he's running differently this year. But, you're embellishing the success to fit an agenda and have presented nothing to prove your point.

Cut the 'woe is Newby' nonsense. Very few people are being disrespectful towards him - they're just giving an opinion.

I stand by what I said - he is running differently this year, but his YPC average is only .2 better than 2015, he has accounted for zero offensive points this year and Ozigbo continues to be relied on in key moments and in the second half.

Pointing out a fact does not translate to disrespect.

• Fire 1

Admit what? Sorry, but any improvements to Newbys skills this year aren't some giant revelation that you are trying to force on us. His YPC has gotten better because our Line is stepping up. His lack of fumbles are due to limited carries. His vision is probably the same as it's ever been, maybe just choosing the better hole to go into.

I'm not knocking Newby here, the dude has given us his entire collegiate career and he is talented enough to start here. Yet...Ozigbo is getting the bulk share. It's not due to some crazy conspiracy, it's because he is winning it. Sorry to burst your bubble on the Newby for Heisman campaign.