Hail Varsity Tale Of The Tape: Lamar Jackson

Saunders

Tale of the Tape is back for the 2016 season. As always, Hail Varsity sat down to watch the film with a former college coach and this week, we focused on the secondary.

Before rewatching the film, I wrote that the secondary earned a passing grade. After film study, I still hold that to be the case overall. However, there were still a lot of mistake that the secondary needs to correct moving forward. Chris Jones was very good in coverage and is clearly the team’s best cover corner. Josh Kalu made some splash plays but continues to make poor decisions at times and is too often out of position. Kieron Williams was productive statistically, but needs to improve as a communicator and decision-maker.

However, for this edition of Tale of the Tape, we’re focusing on the newest member of the Nebraska secondary – true freshman Lamar Jackson. Jackson saw a significant number of snaps as the No. 3 cornerback against Fresno State and the result was a mixed bag of sorts. Jackson himself admitted that he struggled early, but he also made some big plays throughout the game and he wasn’t solely to blame for some of the receptions he gave up.

http://hailvarsity.com/news/analysis/tale-tape-fresno-state-2/2016/09/

TL;DR

Dude is gonna be a baller.

• Fire 1

Thanks for posting the link! Great read.

It seems the times he was beat, he was being conservative to not get beat deep. Whether that is miscommunication or lack of confidence with safety help behind him or something else, I don't know.

In a cover 4 coverage, Jackson wouldn't have a lot of safety help behind him, as the back 4 DB's all cover 1/4 of the field. From what I have heard from various media members, Jackson was bailing early to avoid getting beat deep. They also commented that the OLB's weren't getting out wide enough on their coverage, so the Fresno QB's had easier throws on the 5-10 yard passes on the sides.

Thanks for posting the link! Great read.

It seems the times he was beat, he was being conservative to not get beat deep. Whether that is miscommunication or lack of confidence with safety help behind him or something else, I don't know.

In a cover 4 coverage, Jackson wouldn't have a lot of safety help behind him, as the back 4 DB's all cover 1/4 of the field. From what I have heard from various media members, Jackson was bailing early to avoid getting beat deep. They also commented that the OLB's weren't getting out wide enough on their coverage, so the Fresno QB's had easier throws on the 5-10 yard passes on the sides.

Read the article in the first post, the coverages are discussed.

• Fire 1

It is really hard to really judge a kid off his first game, because they will make mistakes, get burned, get the coverages/reads wrong. I will take game 3 in more consideration on how he really is. First two with film, he should be decently improved. His athleticism clearly shows though.

Definitely going to be a great player, in my opinion.