Fo Fiddy

ZRod

As a sarcastic a-hole this makes me smile so much.

I keep seeing posts here about Bruce going to admin and Tavita getting a coaching spot. Is that real? Or is that just something we made up?

Fo Fiddy is stealing his paycheck like a boss.

It's pure speculation at this point, but it is a solution that makes sense. Tavita is on his last year as a GA, so he will get an assistant coaching job somewhere, and the coaches/players like him, so Riley may have to do this in order to keep him.

I do know that Riley is a big proponent of the proposed rule change of adding another full-time assistant coach to the staff. That way he could keep Tavita without letting go of anyone.

Does Reed even recruit? I cannot remember him being the main recruiter on anyone but probably Jordan Ober, and he's a freaking longsnapper. An important job, but any Nebraska walk-on would love to do it.

I don't mind a long-snapper being on scholarship. If he is able to make a difference in the quality of long-snaps, then he's worth the scholarship.

Also, his difference may not be noticeable to the naked eye, but I can't remember one bad snap in nearly 2 years of him doing the job.

I understand all the 'fire the ST coach' sentiment but (I am a big Riley fan don't misunderstand) these special teams were not very good last year and are getting worse this year. THE PRIMARY REASON IS THE LINE NOT BLOCKING!

- This makes it almost impossible to plan for and set up and execute any kind of punt action using the rugby style kick techniques effectively nor does it allow for above average punt coverage. It also make life miserable for a punter whose desire is to kick strong, high, well aimed kicks to make returns tough, change field position, and etc. If the punter is spending his time and energy terrified of the onslaught of defenders about to block his kick and run him over on the way to the endzone, it does not bode well for replaceing Sam Foltz with another nationally recognized punter.

- And, because we are so evenly matched with our opponents each week, our Coaches cannot reasonably expect and plan for significant leads and control of the game at the line of scrimmage. This means that the Coaches are going to tend to be gun shy of taking extra risks to be more aggressive on offense, defense or special teams. We have had to go on 4 downs in a few games just to try and get the go ahead TD or to keep the opponent from getting the ball back with time enough to threaten another score vs. the Defense.

- Our kick off coverage has been decent although it remains a little scary when we are kicking off late in the games after just score the go ahead TD or FG and its kick off time. We want Drew Brown to kick the ball out of the stadium just to be sure they don't get a big return and while he has done well, I think sometimes they are telling him to take a little off his boot to try to tempt the opponent return team to bring it out and tackle them inside the 25. This is too risky as our coverage can and has broken down and big returns are had vs us or could have.

- We do the nonsense of showing a trick play on the PAT line up only to simply do the 'fire drill' and line up in the usual formation and kick the point after as usual. I know Riley feels it forces the opponents to spend / 'waste' time in practice preparing for the fake kick and go for two s but still by now the opponents have all worked on this stuff ad infinitum anyway. Or, let's actually use the 'fake' play and go for two maybe once in a while (even a couple in a row) just to put the fear of God in them so to speak. But, no, we have basically done nothing in our 'special teams' that one can say is special really. Mediocre to totally absent punt return game. Mediocre to poor punt protection and punting in general. Mediocre to below average kick off coverage and kick off returns. Basically no big plays or game changer type things that can keep us in a big game against an opponent we won't be able to manhandle physically.

- final point is that I don't care how poor the job by Read has been, ultimately you have to blame Riley as he is the boss and after 10 games this year and 13 last year plus a couple spring games and a whole bunch of practices, we remain awful (give them a D+ ONLY because of how great Drew B is doing or else it is an F). Riley should fix this now and we don't need to wait until February 2017 for some new assistant to come in. This is not rocket science and these coaches have been around football for decades each!

Everything you said doesn't matter because we've consistently had 12 men on the field, or offsides penalties in special teams situations since Read got here.

That's fireable.

• Fire 2

Man....Read looks bad. Real bad. You have to give him some credit (I think?) for what he's done with Drew Brown. Dude has been nails this year and no one would've batted an eye if he had struggled.

Ok. Let's have 2 special teams coaches. Read can coach the kickers :)

Bingo. Circle gets the square!

If/when we finally dump Read, will we get the added benefit of losing the circus stunt, elementary school sand lot trickery bs we try when we lineup for a PAT?

Is that a Riley thing or is it a Read thing? So sick of that. Lineup and kick the goddamn extra point like it's the automatic point it's supposed to be. Riley mentioned having 12 on the field for a punt return makes us look junior high. Well that lineup wide PAT is crap we would've been embarrassed to try as 10 year old kids. Is this really D1 college ball worthy?

If/when we finally dump Read, will we get the added benefit of losing the circus stunt, elementary school sand lot trickery bs we try when we lineup for a PAT?

Is that a Riley thing or is it a Read thing? So sick of that. Lineup and kick the goddamn extra point like it's the automatic point it's supposed to be. Riley mentioned having 12 on the field for a punt return makes us look junior high. Well that lineup wide PAT is crap we would've been embarrassed to try as 10 year old kids. Is this really D1 college ball worthy?

I don't mind it in and of itself. But we've had lots of close games and never actually done anything with it. It's a waste of time for them to learn it if we never do anything with it. Maybe they think it decreases pressure for the block attempt? I don't know.

I figured it was added to help the defense prepare against Oregon. Otherwise, I wholeheartedly agree. The swinging gate is dumb.

The ST lines up like that to make the opponents have to spend an hour or so preparing for it. If they do not prepare for it we will burn them like we did against fresno that one time. Darlington has some speed and I do not mind it, and elementary kids would not be able to do this that easily. So all in all I do not mind it at all, as long as we are forcing teams to prepare for it.

• Fire 1

I guess I'm just old fashioned.

Prepare your own team, control the line of scrimmage, act like you belong and have done it before and just line up and kick the extra point.

There's a reason the trickeration aspect was utilized, once, against Fresno St and nobody else. Sorry, I just think it makes our whole program look gimmicky. That isn't the level I would like to see us competing at and we sure shouldnt need it against the only teams it would ever work on.