What did we learn-Oregon edition

Terrific game to watch, love how they battled back and kept fighting. Showed a ton of toughness and Tommy deserves a ton of credit for fighting through cramps, gutting it out, and taking care of the ball (with the exception of that screen pass).

We played a lot better, it was great to be on the other side of one after last year, but it still seemed wayyyy too close with regard to the penalties Oregon was getting called for. They were giving up yards and giving us second chances by the bundle but we still didn't seem to fully take advantage (i.e. 3rd and 26).

I agree that the play calling was 95% better, but there are still moments that just seem so unnecessary. At the end of the first half, Oregon has two penalties that give us the ball at the 2 yard line and we run like 5 plays inside the 5. We've had success up the middle, and yet we line up in the shotgun and throw the ball 4 or 5 times. Why?

Ozigbo is an absolute workhorse. He really grinded for us. And I like how we kept feeding him late, but again; he rushed 21 times for 95 yards, but we only gave him the ball 3 times in the first half. Hopefully we can learn and keep the second half game plan going. For the first drive of the second half Ozigbo ran for 9,5,12,3, and 6 with one 18 run by Tommy in there before Reimers caught a 22 yard TD pass. We need to keep that going!

If we are gashing them up the middle and wearing them down, AND our quarterback is taken out of the game with cramps and we don't know if he can move or plant his feet, why, on the first play he comes back in, do we call a designed run for him? And then throw twice? And never give Ozigbo the ball?

95% of it was a huge improvement, very fun game to watch and I was elated we won. Hopefully we can continue learning and improving! GBR!

Tommy YOLO was a warrior today!

Last drive - Blackshirts defended their house!

Tommy Armstrong = warrior

For all the complaining, analyzing, and belly-aching over TA's play, he's our best player.

What woah let's not get ahead of ourselves here.... he may be our most important player but he in no way is our best. I'd give that to Westy or Stanley before TA and Gerry if we're considering our whole team.
  • Fire 1

For all the complaining, analyzing, and belly-aching over TA's play, he's our best player.

What woah let's not get ahead of ourselves here.... he may be our most important player but he in no way is our best. I'd give that to Westy or Stanley before TA and Gerry if we're considering our whole team.

Have to agree here.

Learned that it is hard for some fans to see the good in a game. With the exception of a backwards pass being called by the offense and a prevent d on 3rd and 26. They guys called and played a really good game. Both bad calls would have been forgotten if the plays would have turned differently, however still questionable calls.

I feel like the staff did a great job with the run calls. After we had long drives of solid running Oregon sold out to stop the run and we did the right thing to go away from it for a bit - only to return again after we showed a few passes.

Love the fact that we didn't chase the 2-point conversion.

This 100x

There were almost 160 plays in this game. Every OC and DC misses a few. People thinking we should have run more in the first half just aren't watching. There were times that all 11 Defenders were within 6 yard of line of scrimmage.

• Fire 1

Have to agree here.

I disagree. If I were putting together a team, I'd take TA ahead of anybody else on our roster.

Have to agree here.

I disagree. If I were putting together a team, I'd take TA ahead of anybody else on our roster.
I'd prolly take Gates or Westy myself. To each his own! :)
People thinking we should have run more in the first half just aren't watching. There were times that all 11 Defenders were within 6 yard of line of scrimmage.

That just makes them easier to smack around.

They are a PAC 10 team. Everybody knows if you play physical against a PAC 10 team that they will soon fold and collapse like a cheap lawn chair. That conference gets giddy over the thought of a pageant covered in roses for Pete's sake! Not an Iron Bowl or a Red River Shootout or Paul Bunyan's axe, but ROSES!!

Banderas always seems a step or two slow to me.

I've said it for two years - starting Banderas over Rose-Ivey is STUPID. That dude is the best LB on the team, hands down IMO. He's struggled with injuries and always came right back and proved himself.

No one fills a hole quicker on the team than he does. And when he hits you, it hurts.

• Fire 1

Yeah. Although today is a great example how "Good Tommy" WILL win games....including the big time games. So I'm enjoying the moment and appreciating his effort and focus out there

Yeah. Although today is a great example how "Good Tommy" WILL win games....including the big time games. So I'm enjoying the moment and appreciating his effort and focus out there

Good Tommy is a product of coaching to his strengths. He has the will to win. The knock on him is that he's appears to be emotional

I never thought for a second this team could lose the turnover margin, give up 336 rushing yards, and WIN. Moreover, they made a couple of those characteristic bizarre momentum-swinging mistakes, but overcame.

It wasn't perfect..... it wasn't close to perfect.... but maybe this team knows how to win in spite of it. That's something they couldn't do last year.

• Fire 2

Banderas always seems a step or two slow to me.

I've said it for two years - starting Banderas over Rose-Ivey is STUPID. That dude is the best LB on the team, hands down IMO. He's struggled with injuries and always came right back and proved himself.

No one fills a hole quicker on the team than he does. And when he hits you, it hurts.

I thought RI had a pretty bad game, if you look at most of the long runs he took bad angles which allowed the RB or QB to get out of a situation where it should have been a tackle for a loss and then tried to tackle like it was flag football. Overall we need to recruit better talent at the position, but that is a topic for another day.