Week 4 Preview: Northwestern

BIG ERN

I have a feeling their stadium will be more then 1/2 full of Cornhusker fans. Gonna feel like a home game.

Yep, the sea of red will invade Evanston, but blend in well with other red Cardinal fans at the Wrigley Cub game, and Kirkwood, before the night game at Ryan Field. Will be a tough one for NU to beat UNL who is on a roll after Oregon, maybe for the Western B10 title. But the Purple did beat the Red at year at Lincoln. We'll see.

There is only one NU and they wear RED

Calling Nebraska "NU" is a giant misnomer, because the university isn't known as "Nebraska University". Whereas, Northwestern's title is "Northwestern University".

• Fire 1

I have a feeling their stadium will be more then 1/2 full of Cornhusker fans. Gonna feel like a home game.

Yep, the sea of red will invade Evanston, but blend in well with other red Cardinal fans at the Wrigley Cub game, and Kirkwood, before the night game at Ryan Field. Will be a tough one for NU to beat UNL who is on a roll after Oregon, maybe for the Western B10 title. But the Purple did beat the Red at year at Lincoln. We'll see.

Calling Nebraska "NU" is a giant misnomer, because the university isn't known as "Nebraska University". Whereas, Northwestern's title is "Northwestern University".

When the university adopted the NU moniker, the school was named Nebraska University. Just like the University of Oklahoma is OU. Not a big deal.

Here's the preview episode we recorded over the summer...bear in mind that no one really expected Northwestern to start as poorly as they did:

http://traffic.libsyn.com/huskerpod/S02E04_-_Northwestern_Preview.mp3

There's also some talk about the matchup on our current episode, but it's mainly our reaction to the Oregon game: http://huskerpod.libsyn.com/s02e13-fortune-favors-the-bold-92016

"Dear old Nebraska U"

bilde.jpg

• Fire 2

"Dear old Nebraska U"

bilde.jpg

Nice work.

Though that might be some poetic licence as it's a lot easier to find something to rhyme with "U" than "Nebraska". :lol:

"Dear old Nebraska U"

bilde.jpg

Nice work.

Though that might be some poetic licence as it's a lot easier to find something to rhyme with "U" than "Nebraska". :lol:

Ummm....I'm not thinking the song uses anything that rhymes with U.

Edit....oh...."true blue".

Just took me some time to get through the song in my head.

Calling Northwestern University NU is a giant misnomer, because Northwest is abbreviated NW. They should be NWU.

• Fire 1

I expect Northwestern to do what they've always done against Nebraska: stack the box and stuff the run, force Tommy to beat them through the air, maybe get a turnover or two, and then just play safe, sound football on offense.

Didn't Thorsen have like a 60+ yard run against Nebraska last year? Wasn't that the reason for the 126 yards rushing?

I think this one turns out similar to 2014, a closer than it should be game at half that's blown open in the second half.

Nebraska 38 Northwestern 17

• Fire 2

I expect Northwestern to do what they've always done against Nebraska: stack the box and stuff the run, force Tommy to beat them through the air, maybe get a turnover or two, and then just play safe, sound football on offense.

Didn't Thorsen have like a 60+ yard run against Nebraska last year? Wasn't that the reason for the 126 yards rushing?

I think this one turns out similar to 2014, a closer than it should be game at half that's blown open in the second half.

Nebraska 38 Northwestern 17

Bingo! What he said.

When the university adopted the NU moniker, the school was named Nebraska University. Just like the University of Oklahoma is OU. Not a big deal.
That's technically not true. NU, OU, CU, KU, and MU all started referring to themselves as such in the 1920s and 30s. None of them have ever had that order as an official University name. The reasons are debated, but largely lost to history.

Some say it was to distinguish themselves from other states. One historian attributed it to a "Midwestern casualness ". The song, DONU, was written in the early 20's, so it could have started it, with the rest of the Big 8 following. Kind of like the SWC with their hand signs.

Whatever the reason, it's a legitimate part of Nebraska's history and tradition. I don't care what Northwestern calls itself, and the reverse should be true as well.