Week 4 Preview: Northwestern

BIG ERN

I have a feeling their stadium will be more then 1/2 full of Cornhusker fans. Gonna feel like a home game.

Yep, the sea of red will invade Evanston, but blend in well with other red Cardinal fans at the Wrigley Cub game, and Kirkwood, before the night game at Ryan Field. Will be a tough one for NU to beat UNL who is on a roll after Oregon, maybe for the Western B10 title. But the Purple did beat the Red at year at Lincoln. We'll see.

There is only one NU and they wear RED

Calling Nebraska "NU" is a giant misnomer, because the university isn't known as "Nebraska University". Whereas, Northwestern's title is "Northwestern University".
Calling Northwestern University NU is a giant misnomer, because Northwest is abbreviated NW. They should be NWU.

But it's not "North Western University"'. I call them NW just to avoid confusion with NU (Nebraska), but they have called themselves NU forever, and there wasn't another NU in the conference then.

Clayton Thorson rushes vs Nebraska last year:

1 yard

68 yards

1 yard (Touchdown)

49 yards

15 yards

0 yards

5 yards

And he was sacked twice for -13 yards (Dzuris got a safety on one)

To take it another step, Thorson rushing by game as a starter (these numbers include sacks)

8/68 8.5 ypc (Stanford)

2/7 3.5 ypc

11/211.9 ypc

9/45 5.0 ypc

11/24 2.2 ypc

3/-4 -1.3 ypc

11/10 0.9 ypc

9/126 14.0 ypc

4/15 3.8 ypc

7/48 6.9 ypc

7/7 1.0 ypc

6/7 1.2 ypc

12/23 1.9 ypc

5/-8 -1.6 ypc

12/30 2.5 ypc

7/-24 -3.4 ypc

So taking out the game in Lincoln, he averages 2.3 ypc.

And this year he has been especially bad on the ground, with -2 rushing yards through 3 games.

• Fire 2

Clayton Thorson rushes vs Nebraska last year:

1 yard

68 yards

1 yard (Touchdown)

49 yards

15 yards

0 yards

5 yards

And he was sacked twice for -13 yards (Dzuris got a safety on one)

To take it another step, Thorson rushing by game as a starter (these numbers include sacks)

8/68 8.5 ypc (Stanford)

2/7 3.5 ypc

11/211.9 ypc

9/45 5.0 ypc

11/24 2.2 ypc

3/-4 -1.3 ypc

11/10 0.9 ypc

9/126 14.0 ypc

4/15 3.8 ypc

7/48 6.9 ypc

7/7 1.0 ypc

6/7 1.2 ypc

12/23 1.9 ypc

5/-8 -1.6 ypc

12/30 2.5 ypc

7/-24 -3.4 ypc

So taking out the game in Lincoln, he averages 2.3 ypc.

And this year he has been especially bad on the ground, with -2 rushing yards through 3 games.

He's already been sacked 11 times this year through 3 games. He was sacked 22 times last year for the whole season.

My whole point was that he's not a "statue" like some think. He's not Michael Vick either. Hell, he's not even Tommy Armstrong, but he's has shown that he's able to gash teams for big runs. I think our D-line is a lot different this year with the way they're playing though. I don't expect him to light us up on the ground (or the air) but he does have the ability to run fairly well.

He's already been sacked 11 times this year through 3 games. He was sacked 22 times last year for the whole season.

My whole point was that he's not a "statue" like some think. He's not Michael Vick either. Hell, he's not even Tommy Armstrong, but he's has shown that he's able to gash teams for big runs. I think our D-line is a lot different this year with the way they're playing though. I don't expect him to light us up on the ground (or the air) but he does have the ability to run fairly well.

I agree. I think that Prukop is a much better runner than Thorson as well.

Looking at this long runs from last year, he went for 68 and 49 vs NU, 42 vs Stanford, then a handful of 15-20 yard runs.

This year through 3 games, his longest is 14 vs Illinois St. His longest vs Western Michigan was 5 and vs Duke was 3.

They are only averaging 2.8 yards per rush as an entire team.

Supposedly their o-line is abysmal. And being sacked 4 times per game doesn't help the average (which is a function of my first sentence).

I was wondering about that.

Their depth chart from our game last year showed them starting 2 seniors, 2 juniors, and 1 redshirt freshman on the o-line. It looks like they've moved some guys around this season. Last year's starting center is now listed as a 2nd string guard and last year's starting guard is now a 2nd string tackle. So they have 4 different guys on the starting o-line compared to last year.

I think we win by 2-3 TD's provided we don't turn over the ball a lot or have an "Oregon" type penalty day. If they stack the box, then we throw it. Nice thing about this offense is they have multiple ways to score depending on what the defense will give you.

Our defense is much improved from last year and I think we perform much better from a statistical standpoint against a slower and less talented team like Northwestern.