Sam's Monday Rewind - Oregon Edition

Red Five

Lot to digest and good bits on info in the column, I strongly suggest reading it all.

We’ll see what Nebraska does with the momentum. It should do well, but this is Nebraska in the Big Ten era. No guarantees. Nebraska has a 14-12 record against current Big Ten West foes. Those teams — not Oregon — are NU’s true peers. Maybe it is humbling for Husker fans to see that, but back-to-back games at Wisconsin and Ohio State in Games 8 and 9 won’t mean nearly as much if Nebraska stubs its toe before then.

The Badgers and Buckeyes are the midterm exams. Before then, four quizzes, tricky in their own ways, but very passable so long as Nebraska does its homework.

The Huskers begin league play with four teams — 1-2 Northwestern, 1-2 Illinois, 2-0 Indiana and 1-1 Purdue — that do not have nearly the overall talent, depth, history, resources or fans of Nebraska. Aside from Indiana, which should have two losses by the time NU rolls into town, these teams are also staring down the barrels of long, tough seasons.

If that sounds like a broken record, here’s the difference: NU was 0-3 against those teams in 2015. And Indiana might be the toughest game of the four.

So Nebraska would have no particular reason for overlooking any of those four teams.

None.

It’s kind of the perfect situation.

And this stat is kinda amazing to me:

» 0.6: Yards per game more allowed by Iowa’s defense than Nebraska’s. The Hawkeyes are allowing 359.3 and NU 358.7. If you’d told me before the season that stat would be true after the Huskers had played Oregon, I’d have picked a new Big Ten West favorite. It’s Nebraska.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/mckewon-history-shows-huskers-must-prove-they-can-build-momentum/article_764d80b8-d9f6-5bee-9390-31b54cf19a63.html

• Fire 1

That defensive stat b/w Iowa and Nebraska is amazing, given we played Oregon and they played NDSU (no disrespect intended; I love the Bison).

Plus, Iowa's slow tempo offense is going to automatically lead to a "better" defensive ranking.

Iowa's 12-0 start last year was a good year for them, but it was also a mirage. They didn't have tough cross-division opponents and they were able to beat Wisky and NU due to opponent mistakes.

• Fire 1

That defensive stat b/w Iowa and Nebraska is amazing, given we played Oregon and they played NDSU (no disrespect intended; I love the Bison).

Plus, Iowa's slow tempo offense is going to automatically lead to a "better" defensive ranking.

Iowa's 12-0 start last year was a good year for them, but it was also a mirage. They didn't have tough cross-division opponents and they were able to beat Wisky and NU due to opponent mistakes.

While that's true, Iowa did almost win the CCG. Iowa caught some breaks, for sure, but they weren't a push over either.

• Fire 1

Exactly. Plus, Iowa's offense just sucks.

It's unbelievable that the USA Today poll kept them in the rankings.

Depends what you think of NDSU. I think NDSU could beat most of the top 25, and I'd put them somewhere around #15. That's why some people aren't going to be too down on the Hawkeyes.

Depends what you think of NDSU. I think NDSU could beat most of the top 25, and I'd put them somewhere around #15. That's why some people aren't going to be too down on the Hawkeyes.

While NDSU has been amazing at the FCS level, and they have won 5 or 6 in a row when coming up to play FBS teams, I don't think they would be able to sustain that success if they had to play FBS teams every week.

• Fire 1

I can respect that take, RedDenver.

Regardless, they had no business at #13 coming into that game.

Last season, they didn't play Michigan, Michigan State, or Ohio State. This year, they only have Michigan (at home) out of that stretch. They will very soon get completely passed by in this conference with the way that Meyer, Harbaugh, D'Antonio, and Riley have upped the B1G's ceiling.

Honestly, they were never really "there" to begin with, imo.

I enjoyed Sam's quizzes (NW, ILL, IU, PUR) then mid-terms (WIS, OSU) analogy.

How we fare against the lesser opponents could have a lot to do with how we perform up in Madison and over in the Horseshoe.

I don't think it will be good enough to just win those games. We'll need to dominate a couple of them. We'll need to grow and continue to establish ourselves.

A close call to either Northwestern or Indiana wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but I'd like to see blowouts of Illinois and Purdue at home.

• Fire 2

I can respect that take, RedDenver.

Regardless, they had no business at #13 coming into that game.

Last season, they didn't play Michigan, Michigan State, or Ohio State. This year, they only have Michigan (at home) out of that stretch. They will very soon get completely passed by in this conference with the way that Meyer, Harbaugh, D'Antonio, and Riley have upped the B1G's ceiling.

Honestly, they were never really "there" to begin with, imo.

I mostly agree, but they did play (and barely lost to) Michigan St.

They will very soon get completely passed by in this conference with the way that Meyer, Harbaugh, D'Antonio, and Riley have upped the B1G's ceiling.

One of these coaches does not belong in this sentence.

You're right, I have no idea who D'Antonio is.

This guy is Dantonio.

Mark-Dantonio.jpg

This guy is D'Antoni.

CoachDAntoni.jpg

• Fire 1