So, what do you need to see this weekend vs NW...just a win?

teachercd

I think the other thread has been pretty interesting when it comes to the game this weekend.

Last weekend I think most of us would have been and are happy that it was "just a win" no matter the score or how it happened.

Are you happy with just a win this weekend? 14-13, 21-20, 28-27...will you be okay with that?

Or will that make you feel like a corner has not been turned?

Things I would like to see:

1. Never being down on the scored board this Saturday

2. Up by 10 or more at half

3. Game salted away with 10 minutes left.

Something with a final score of 35-14 would be a really good indicator, I think, of things to come.

What would I like to see? A Husker win 150/-150.

That's not really possible though so I'll settle for a W. Against Northwestern I don't think we need to blow them out considering the history of close games between these teams since we joined the Big 10. I'd like to see fewer penalties along with a W this week. Seems like we are doing better than last year, but I think we can still get better in that regard.

I think the other thread has been pretty interesting when it comes to the game this weekend.

Last weekend I think most of us would have been and are happy that it was "just a win" no matter the score or how it happened.

Are you happy with just a win this weekend? 14-13, 21-20, 28-27...will you be okay with that?

Something with a final score of 35-14 would be a really good indicator, I think, of things to come.

I don't really care if it's a close win, provided it's close because both teams played well or there were some bad breaks for Nebraska.

If it's close because we tried to work certain passing packages into the game plan for the sake of passing and not for the sake of winning, that would be frustrating to me.

My biggest concern with this staff last year was that they failed to "manufacture" wins against teams that were of equal or lesser talent. Too many games were closer (and eventually ended up as losses) than they should have been simply because we seemed more worried about a play calling profile than about hammering out an "ugly" win.

Obviously even a close loss to this NW team would be an awful step back and more evidence that Riley coached teams simply aren't consistent from game to game or season to season - which would be something we'd have to evaluate to determine if that's ultimately acceptable or a change would need to be made sooner than later.

I don't really care if it's a close win, provided it's close because both teams played well or there were some bad breaks for Nebraska.

If it's close because we tried to work certain passing packages into the game plan for the sake of passing and not for the sake of winning, that would be frustrating to me.

My biggest concern with this staff last year was that they failed to "manufacture" wins against teams that were of equal or lesser talent. Too many games were closer (and eventually ended up as losses) than they should have been simply because we seemed more worried about a play calling profile than about hammering out an "ugly" win.

Obviously even a close loss to this NW team would be an awful step back and more evidence that Riley coached teams simply aren't consistent from game to game or season to season - which would be something we'd have to evaluate to determine if that's ultimately acceptable or a change would need to be made sooner than later.

CM, I understand that you think NU needs to focus on being a running team. I actually think that NU needs to attack Northwestern threw the air early, which will open up the running lanes later in the game. Northwestern really sells out to stop the run, especially with its LB's. NU should use play action passes and RPO's to hit Carter and the slot receivers behind the LB's. If NU is successful doing this, this will loosen up the LB's and then NU can turn to the run game.

Just win. And do it again next week.

Nebraska (probably) isn't going to be dominating opponents this year on the regular. There's probably going to be a lot of hard-fought, tight contests -- much like last year. Just please claw their way through to a better record, and show up well in the bowl game.

CM, I understand that you think NU needs to focus on being a running team. I actually think that NU needs to attack Northwestern threw the air early, which will open up the running lanes later in the game. Northwestern really sells out to stop the run, especially with its LB's. NU should use play action passes and RPO's to hit Carter and the slot receivers behind the LB's. If NU is successful doing this, this will loosen up the LB's and then NU can turn to the run game.

I take your point, and considering that option is not really a part of our offense, I do think that passing to set up the run is warranted, to a degree. But it should be because a guy has actually rolled out of coverage, and not because it's assumed we won't be able to run - in other words, it should be a reaction to a schematic look rather than a plan based on perceived match up advantages.

Personally, when a team crowds a box, if you're creative in the run game, that's when you really can brake off long runs. Because there's no one home at the second level. It's why blitzing a man out of the secondary is a terrible way to actually stop the option, for example.

I'm all for play action passes - I love deep passing game, especially against single and no coverage caused by the threat of the run. I'm completely the opposite of a "three yards and a cloud of dust" (which is the normal result of pro style zone running where you rarely have a numbers advantage at the point of attack). I'm much more for a Briles or Herman or Johnson type of offense, which all use vertical passing very effectively.

Simply put, I just like the option used in place of the short/"controlled" passing game.